Mud fever:(

I tried everything - cream, hibi scrub, stabling, special protective bandage etc etc

My farrier recommended boots athletes foot powder ... and it was gone with a week

Just clean and dry the area, sprinkle on, turn out if you can, then clean any mud off and re-apply - don't wash just remove with a old towel!

Pig Oil used with Sulpher is supposed to be effective....

Personally, I would keep in until cleared up, and then turn out using Udder Cream - very, very effective and cheap if you can get it from an agricultural supplier......

I will be off to boots tomorrow

Lol! I sent my OH who got a lecture from an old lady on which was best ... "he was like ... um, no, its for my girlfriends pony!"

I always have some in my first aid box, and its not that expensive so its definitely worth a try!

Haha would of loved to see her face when he said that

He said he got a funny look! Bless him! The things they do for us eh!?

Let us know if it clears it up! Worked wonders on my pony, but have not heard anyone elses stories about it!

Pig oil and sulphur advocate here. It does work but the only thing with it that I find is that the results can take a while to show themselves, i.e. can be weeks before you see any visual improvments but it doesn't work as soon as you start to apply it. I think it must work by softening the scabs and lifts them from the skin but having done this it then protects the new skin from the mud / bacteria.

Keep going with the pig oil once a day for at least 3 - 4 weeks I'm sure you'll get results :):)

Pig oil and sulphur advocate here. It does work but the only thing with it that I find is that the results can take a while to show themselves, i.e. can be weeks before you see any visual improvments but it doesn't work as soon as you start to apply it. I think it must work by softening the scabs and lifts them from the skin but having done this it then protects the new skin from the mud / bacteria.

Keep going with the pig oil once a day for at least 3 - 4 weeks I'm sure you'll get results :):)

How often did you put the pig oil on???

once a day while it was bad. If I new how to up load photos on here I'd show you my start photos of the mud fever and then the results purely form pig oil and sulphur after a month. But my poor boy suffered very badly last year from it he has 3 white socks and his two back legs were covered, scabs, red raw, swelling you name it, very awful to see. I went down the road of hibiscrub, udder cream, sudocream, flamozine all of which I had little result from. I do think there is an arguement for different things that work for different people but from my experience you can't beat pig oil and sulphur :)

I no, I'm really sorry but I'm abit naff at this, I don't even know what you mean by photobucket!! When I didn't know where to go next with my boys legs last year there was a thread by storminateacup I think and that had pics on it showing the probs she'd had with mud fever and what pig oil had done for her and her horse maybe try search for that thread and then you can have a look. My pics are very similar to the ones in that thread. Sorry I can't show you mine though :rolleyes:

Yes, once I started to use it I didn't pick at them at all, the pig oil will eventually soften them so much that they will at some point during the process just start to come away in your hands (bit gross, sorry!) One this I will say is that is it does spread quickly, maybe think about doing one treatment at a time I'm just thinking if one leg, for arguments sake say the foot stuff, doesn't work it might keep the bacteria spreading onto the other leg and hinder the treatment, just a thought. I have tried to add my pics by creating a photo albumn but to no luck Im afraid, just persevere with it then if in say a couple of months you still see no difference then have a re think :)

newrider.com