Mud fever:(

I can't express enough how i don't agree with scrubbing the legs raw and making them bleed and how i do feel this can be damaging.I know each thing works for different horses but surely its agonising making them bleed? I know for a fact my lad would never have excepted me doing something like that.

I know it sounds horrible and Beau would never accept me hurting him (he would have cow kicked me), nor would I want to hurt him, of course. I was given advice by the vet to pick off the scabs and by the farrier, a guy who's had horses forever. It was quick and I didn't belabour the point with it. I can't express how much better his legs are now. I persisted with the PO&S for weeks and it didn't improve. I only did it once and now it's all gone. I feel that a couple of minutes of scrubbing is worth saving him from what must have been agonising pain, given it was on the back of his knee joints. I would never try to cause him harm and as it's worked, I figure it's been worth it. (No pain, no gain?) When the vet debrided my TB's healing leg, I was wincing, but I accepted that it was the best thing for her and that the wound would heal better if it were done. Now that his legs are better, he's moving more freely and is obviously not in discomfort any more.:)

newrider.com