One Slip and my life has ended..sobbbb

loulou1972

Aug 10, 2006
hampshire UK
I need in deparate cheering up help......

2 Sundays ago I slipped on mud whilst dismounting which resulted in me very very badly breaking my lower knee and rolling around in pain underneath a strapping 17.2 Clydesdale.

It took until the Thursday for them to find a Surgeon willing to do the operation and i came that close to them puttin me in a wheelchair:eek: . Well the Surgeon they found specalized in rebuilding Shoulders and knees, lucky for me he was base near me in Winchester.

So as i sit here with my complete leg and ankle in plaster, i finding it hard to feel lucky, the doctor told me there will never be any Skiing or Horse Riding as the risk of re-injury is far to great....my heart is breaking :(

Is there light at the end of the tunnel, cos I think somebody may have left it off at the moment.

I've posted my xrays for anyone who wants to look.:eek:

2007-01-31152.jpg

2007-01-31146.jpg

Poor you :( Dod you catch your foot in the stirrup or what? I know horse-riding is dangerous, but people and horses seem to get injured in the simplest situations!!

My dad had a motorbike accident when he was young and his leg is like yours, he has eight metal pins in his femur. He still rides though, and he's not very experienced either!Of course its a risk, but isn't everything? He could injure himself at work just as easily.

Will it affect your walking/movement? Are those staples I see - ouch! Vibes for a good recovery.

Huge hugs, what a crazy way to do so much damage :eek: !

Ultimately whether you decide to risk riding again is up to you - it's your life, not the doctor. Maybe you could get another opinion when it's healed up?

Have you considered driving? I've got friends who do this & it's great fun, if I could afford driving gear & a saddle then I'd have Little Un broken to both :)

Take care. It's very early days yet & doctors can often be a bit pessamistic.

Rips

No just normal dismount left foot on the floor lost my right and couldn't steedy myself, so quick yet so painful..ouch.
They reckon about 3 months before I can weight bear then about 18 months and lots of waiting....
I had 40 Staples and they come out next week not looking ofrward to that either oh well plenty of entinox...:eek:

Oh poor you. Chin up, sometimes things work out much better than expected. Seems from you recent posts you've already been having a hard enough time. And of all the times to have an accident - dismounting. I've become particularly careful recently to put my foot less in the stirrup when dismounting (closer to the toe), as one time my foot was in a bit too far and I got a bit stuck etc.

I bet you could continue with light riding at some future point. I think I've read on here than for western riding you put less weight in the stirrups or something :confused: (I have no idea if what I am saying is true - just recall this). Point is you could perhaps adapt things if need be, or maybe all will be fine in due course.

Big hugs and sympathy to you. This will be a tough time for you no doubt.

((((hugs)))) from Slovenia. I reckon you need all the hugs you can get.

Try not to get too despondent, as besides anything else getting upset won't help the healing process. Try one of the Bach Flower remedies (I'm not sure which one) but they really work on your mood. Also, don't believe what everything the doctors say at this point and what might happen in the future. There are loads of stories on here of people who were told they shouldn't/couldn't ride and have done. Look at Monty for an inspiring story if ever there was one! It's just too early to say. The best thing you can do now is stay as positive as you can and take each day as it comes.

Having said all that, I'm REALLY sorry for you, this is one of the worst nightmares for all of us :(

god you must feel dreadful! I am so very sorry for you. Doctors do tend to give the worst case scenario though and don't want to be held liable, so once you are strong enough, see how you feel and if you want to... ride again. doctors are like vets... am sure they just don't want to be sued! Yours was a freak accident... how is your horse in general? calm?

you poor poor thing :(
Just focus on getting better then see how things go.
On the staple front, I remove them from animals all the time and they dont even notice-think they would bite me if it hurt so hopefully will not be as bad as you suspect-make the most of the entonox though :)
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Aaaaw poor poor you. I broke my tibial plateau 3 years ago, I came off my pushbike on ice, didn't even hit my knee but clouted my foot on the road & sent a shock up my leg which resulted in my knee becoming a 'crumple zone'. I've only got 1 plate & 5 screws though, your ironmongery collection is far more impressive! The docs were pretty downbeat about my chances of doing much horsey-wise, as it turns out I've (touch wood) made pretty much a full recovery so don't give up hope - I can see that your injury is a lot more complex than mine but stay positive. Another lady I know had her knee shattered by a horse kicking it, it was such a mess they considered amputating & she had an external fixator for months. I saw her out on a hack just last week! My advice is take lots of glucosamine, try not to let the daytime telly turn your brain to sludge & think of horses when the physio gets you down.

As the others say -- I don't see how they can tell at this point how it's going to heal and how it's going to affect your riding. It's not like you're about to jump back on tomorrow with your leg in plaster -- so why do they want to talk about it now? Surely better to wait until it's healed and then think about the pros and cons.

Pretty impressive X-rays, by the way. :cool:

LouLou! We heard all about your horrid accident from Hallmarked - so glad you can come on-line yourself now! Welcome to your support-club.

Take heart from all the experiences and other stories that we sent you before - it's not all over, it's just going to take a lot of time, a lot of work, and so much courage on your part, but it can be done. Also do remember to keep your fingers crossed too - just in case!:)

Keep us in the loop, and don't give up - promise?

SF

Ouch!

Frances..Wally...we are going to need a gimp persons forum if this kinda stuff keeps happening.

Am so sorry you were hurt. I came off my "Dream" horse in Mid Dec and broke my lower back and have tons of Mirco fractures and other interesting...OK not so interesting damage.
It is nice to meet you. If you have any questions or just need a shoulder to cry on...I am here.:D
Opps..added: and here.. autumnhaus@aol.com

Oh,, I am in the mood to be bossy.... "Don't you dare give up" and that is an order from someone you have never met. You might have to re direct your dream for a bit.

My joyly fun is to putter with my walker to the front porch, where I will sort'a sit on something soft while my son brings one of my gentle mini's up so I can spend a wee bit of time with one..and brush a mane. This gives me a tiny bit of hope. Snuffle kisses from wee animals do wonders. Where as that wipes me out for the day....but I have a bit of a smile on my face.

The serious bit. My wonderful Fjord mare has a new home with someone that will love her and take her driving and she will be so happy. The wee Blk Icey I came off of..is going up back to wince she came..hopefully to find her wonderful new family, hopefully quickly. I am not giving up,,,but it will take awhile to heal so down sizing is a must. I will keep my Squirrel of a grey mare because in all the years of her brain dead sillyness she has never hurt me... the Donkey is kept around because she is beyond silly and can make anyone smile and my Two mini's.. Maggie whos is trained to cart and Theia would should be in cart by now if I did not go and hurt myself.

So there you have it....some boring rambling from this even more strange person,,,in hopes I gave you at least one small smile.

Last edited:
Have you thought to down sizing? I mini might do you for awhile and I am sure someone could come up with a sweet mellow one to take you for cart rides.

That is until you feel game to try to ride again....if you want.

Listen to what the Doctors say and make sure you recover well. Then once fully recovered see what the Doctor's say and you may surprise them and be able to ride again. Hugs for you and lots of wishes for a speedy recovery. :)

Lou, don't despair. My right leg was totally smashed in a car accident 11 years ago. I had not one, but two, sets of plates and screws put in, as they had to rebreak my femur and reset with a bone graft when it healed crookedly. I couldn't walk for two years, with all of the surgeries.

At the beginning I was told that I could never ride again. Eventually my ortho said that it was okay to ride but to stop if I felt knee pain (knee was also smashed and pinned together). Oddly enough, I now have more knee pain if I don't ride. Last time I saw the ortho (maybe five years ago...I am supposed to go back every year but eventually stopped), he said that the bone has healed stronger than it was in the first place.

I learned during the process that doctors always always tell you the worst case scenario.

Echo what others have said, and loads of sympathy from here. Horrific X rays. What a pain for you... oops pun not meant.:eek: and what a way to do it.:eek:

Keep an open mind and see what happens once its healed. The great thing about horses is even if (god forbid) you can't ride again, there are loads of new avenues already mentioned here where you can be with horses in a slightly different way.

All the very best Loulou:)

Thats a very nasty fracture, no two ways about it.

The orthopods tend to paint a fairly bleak outcome as a matter of course; there are too many variables to predict a full recovery. I suppose from their perspective by knocking you down low any recovery you get is better than the one they predicted. It's a rather negative approach to my mind, especialy when you're already feeling rough.

I think, to be honest, it's far too soon to say. You need to work very closely with the physio, do everything they say. Ensure that you eat a good diet, don't smoke, if you drink then dont have too much (drunk then falling on that knee again? not a good idea). Once you're up and moving again look to doing some work from the ground so you maintain 'horsey' contact.

These first few weeks are the hardest, try not to get too low. Give yourself achievable targets, and set goals for say 3 and 6 months time. Talk to the orthopaedic team (nurses/Drs/therapists) whose care you're under, tell them how you're feeling - after all, they're there to support the whole of you, not just your knee.

Be brave and be positive!

Last edited:
newrider.com