Paints and Cobs... yuck. [opinions]

Love duns...

Obviously as my lad is one....before we re-start the should they/shouldn't they have dorsel stripes/frosting....he has a faint dorsel stripe in winetr along with dapples! Connemara stud book say he's a dun and that's enough for me!

www.stabletostable.com/forums/album.php?albumid=73&pictureid=721

I have to admit to not being overly keen on chunky cobs....but for me personality and "handsome is as handsome does" will usually win out!

What I don't like are the "Labra-doodle" ideas that are creeping into horsebreeding....breed for a job not a colour I feel....

Breed or colour - I don't mind - and if they're happy enough to let me ride them and spend time with them then I'm happy to be in their company regardless of what they look like. I don't think I've ever come across an ugly horse, I'm another who thinks they don't exist:D

parsnip i have got to agree about the breeding of horses, too many people breed, for colour or for pedigree. I believe it should be done by type and what best suits the mare not what has the nicest colour of pedigree. Our coloured mare has no breeding recorded on her passport but we chose the arab cause we felt it would compliment her conformation as she had weak points as do all horses, and it worked a treat.

I like most colours/types but not keen on cremello's or appy's.

My faves breed is welsh and my fave colours are chestnut with flaxen mane and tail, dun, palomino's and black. Nice facial markings are always good too :D

I ALWAYS wanted a black section D from being very young.. and look what i've got...
prettyPride-1.jpg

I like most colours/types but not keen on cremello's or appy's.

My faves breed is welsh and my fave colours are chestnut with flaxen mane and tail, dun, palomino's and black. Nice facial markings are always good too :D

I ALWAYS wanted a black section D from being very young.. and look what i've got...
prettyPride-1.jpg

:D I always wanted a black section D and ended up with a chestnut with flaxen mane and tail. Wouldn't swap her for the world as I love her colouring, but one day... one day.

Yours is stunning btw. I love that honest Welsh eye

TBH i dont really like coloured horses - i do like other peoples coloured horses but I wouldnt personally look to buy one.

I'd love a dapple grey (childhood dream i think) or a dun but i LOVE black horses.

Actually it wouldnt REALLY bother me what colour it was as long as it did the job i wanted :D

Im sorry a horse is not a handbag, its not there to show off to your mates. You should love your horse because of the bond you have with him/her.
Not because of it's colour.

Everybody should have there favourites but to say you hate a certain colour horse is quite frankly horrible!

I like every colour shape and size to only things that put me off loving a horse is the temperment and how much the horse adores me back:D

Ditto! :D

Agree with Puzzles-personality over looks, for sure. My hairy coblet may not win prizes for his beauty, but he is a happy hacker, jumps twice what is put in front of him, listens and is a dolly to handle. Some of the posts are verging on insulting as everyone's horse is their baby. Racist is too strong a word to use, but hey, I'm flying high at the mo, having just paid for my boy-feeling controversial!!:):):):):)

I Also believe wholeheartedly in "A good horse is never a bad color". But thats not to say I dont have prefrences...:p

Until I met this guy...... (Pic below) i didnt like apps very much, not to say they didnt do a great job in their chosen diciplines, just never really 'loved' one.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=05IR00A11A0026&po=26

Rocky is a 14 year old Appy shown by a girl in my 4h group...he's amazingly talented, has a good mind, and in the ring he just draws your eye to him.

I agree that bays in the hunter ring can get a little boring, but I wouldnt trade mine for the world! (Sam, 9 year old QH gelding)

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=05IR00A11A0026&po=26

Last edited:
Haven't read all the preceeding posts atm (suspect it will be entertaining tho :D); throwing in my tuppence....

a) couldn't care less what colour/breed/sex the horse is provided it meets my requirements.
b) Have seem some truly stunning coloureds (many from this site), elegant and graceful with fantastic conformation, to which no bright bay could hold a candle.

Last edited:
Curious about colour

Only because the CPS doesn't know its colour genetics

There is no dun in Connies - they're buckskins, honestly! Quote

I'm no geneticist obviously! I was under the belief that one of the original colours for Connemara ponies was a dun (on black) with black points and darker mane and tail with dorsal/primitive markings?

I like cobs and heavier horses and this has came through owning lighter breeds.:)

Just prefer to have a horse under me and I feel better when on a Wlshie the best!!!:D

Resposive with a Brain and Flair!!!! cant get much better than that lol!!!!:D:D:D:D

Nikki xxxx

this is my coloured filly gizzy or mistonia, shes more my type of coloured though i still see weak points in her conformation wise but no horse is perfect.
IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

gizhead.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

When I find the horse that is right for me (bond, temprement kindness), they will be the joy and purpose of my life. (even if they are ugly as sin!)

However.... if that package happened to come wrapped in the form of a Baroque Freisan, it would be..... ummm...... most pleasing!

Im sorry a horse is not a handbag, its not there to show off to your mates. You should love your horse because of the bond you have with him/her.
Not because of it's colour.

I don't think anyone here only loves their horse because of it's colour. I love my little chestnut mare to bits for her temperament and talents and pretty conformation, but truth be known, in a perfect world, she'd be black with white socks (I love black with chrome).

And yes, lots of people do show off their horses. What do you think shows are all about? ;) Except it's more like showing off an artwork that you've done then a handbag. It's saying, "This is my horse and this is what we can do together. Isn't he/she beautiful and talented?"

I don't really like Appaloosa colouring. I don't like the white sclera and mottled skin and whatnot. I also don't like plain bays with no little to no white (although bays with lots of white can look quite nice). This isn't to say I'm going to beat everyone I come across. It just means that when buying a horse for myself, I'm going to probably avoid those horses at first. It's going to cost me as much to feed the horse whose colour I love as the horse whose colour I don't, so why not look for conformation, temperament, talent and looks?

i don't mind that some people don't like appy colouring because it means they underestimate what my mare can do (especially in showing) and then the look on there faces when i beat them is priceless. I've seen quite a few people who have been a bit miffed because they were beaten in a hunter class by a spotty:D

newrider.com