plans for 2018

I do get asked often what I do with mine. This can be after said people have just seen me doing something!

How completely bizarre! I am trying to hack more but it really does make me nervous. Too much potential for too many things to go wrong on this little crowded island of ours!

Reactions: Super nova
How completely bizarre! I am trying to hack more but it really does make me nervous. Too much potential for too many things to go wrong on this little crowded island of ours!
I see hacking as trec or handy pony that's over varied terrain with various obstacles.
Today I did dismount to go past an obstacle and trec does include being able to do that and get back on. You just don't have the check points or ambulance on standby.
You don't necessarily have to hack anymore than I have to show though? People did tell me I should take her to a show, but none of those wanted to be the one that actually did it!

I feel I need to hack for fitness, to reduce chance of injury by working her on different surfaces, increase her surefootedness, to educate/de spook her and to give her a mental break. I could long rein but I don't feel any safer on foot in the Big Wide World. Showing, jumping, competing etc are take it or leave it but I personally think all ridden horses benefit from hacking out. Just wish I liked it a bit more!

I don't have too many horse goals for this year, as I'm buying a house with my OH. Apparently this year is all about adulting ...!

I just want to keep on hacking, schooling and hoping to partake in the odd dressage test :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I want to crack on with G's schooling and do some dressage. We didn't manage a fun ride last year so a few of those are in the pipeline, some jumping lessons to crack 60cm plus confidently and I'd absolutely LOVE to do an adult camp. And more mounted games.

Not much then!

Will be interesting to look back in 52 weeks to see what we manage to achieve out of all those!! :p

Last edited:
I , like most, want to ride more . At the end of last summer I did my first Dressage test(low key) and I loved it so this year my aim is to do a few more . I also rescued a miniature Shetland that was on deaths door about 8 weeks ago and I’m looking forward to seeing him flourish this summer .

you can start with a pole on the floor and have fun with that.
Polework in the school is challenging and fun, totally agree.
Many of our bridleways here have logs across - small enough to walk over them easily if you don’t want to jump and big enough to have a little fun :)
@KP nut is right, hacking is a challenge too, but I like it because it’s often sociable and it gets me outside and exercising and seeing those lovely views and nature without the arthritic pain of a long walk. I was getting miserable because my bones are rubbish now and I’m an Ecologist, so have spent most of my career working outside and I really was missing being able to easily get up the hills again. The mountain rides in Pembrokeshire have lovely views across the sea to Ireland. And now I do them on horseback instead of on foot - using some of the tracks which the celts rode. What a sense of history eh?

Reactions: KP nut
I'd absolutely LOVE to do an adult camp. :p

This camp was AWESOME.....

I went on my own but the organisers made sure everyone was sociable - all meals were provided and we ate together. I made lasting friends. A fantastic blend of fun and focus! Venue is ace too and you can corall your horse so they aren't stabled the whole time. I am tempted to go again if you want to join me?!

https://www.elandlodge.com/blog/adult-camp-dates-2018/

I'd absolutely LOVE to do an adult camp.

Booking should be open for the Lincomb camps now or very soon. I've done 2 and they seen to attract a mature and low level following if that makes sense). I'm booked on to the June one :)

Reactions: Taffie
Very low key as always, just to pootle more and enjoy horse ownership:D

I could not agree more. This is my intention for the coming year. If my horses and I have fun and enjoy it then job done. I'm exceptionally lucky to have had Toby 23 years this year. He's my soul mate so any and every ride is a gift. Kezzie has had soundness issues the last year, so if we get a few dressage lessons in and a prelim dressage anywhere test done then all to the good. And as for my little Louisa, she's an exceptionally exciting prospect. She's a pleasure to work with and such a quick learner. If I can get her backed and turned away by November then I'll say that's progress. I have an uber stressful job, so I don't stress myself when it comes to my horses. We do what we find fun :)

I could not agree more. This is my intention for the coming year. If my horses and I have fun and enjoy it then job done. I'm exceptionally lucky to have had Toby 23 years this year. He's my soul mate so any and every ride is a gift. Kezzie has had soundness issues the last year, so if we get a few dressage lessons in and a prelim dressage anywhere test done then all to the good. And as for my little Louisa, she's an exceptionally exciting prospect. She's a pleasure to work with and such a quick learner. If I can get her backed and turned away by November then I'll say that's progress. I have an uber stressful job, so I don't stress myself when it comes to my horses. We do what we find fun :)

How wonderful to have had him so long:)
Sounds like a great horsey year ahead:D

I have never understood the word 'just' in that phrase! Hacking is terrifying and a true test of horsemanship. If you can cope with the 1001 unexpected hazards on a hack then as far as I am concerned you can ride!
This made me think of this;

She's "JUST" a Trail Horse**

I can't count the number of times that I have heard the words "Oh you just trail ride" or "It's just a trail horse", especially from other riders who focus on only one discipline. And each time I have to smirk a little. To be JUST a Trail Rider you need a very special talented kind of steed for which many folks don't realize the expertise required:

- She needs to be as maneuverable as a Dressage Horse...to be able to place each foot exactly where and when you need because there is a steep cliff drop-off on one side and a wall of solid mountainside on the other. A sure-footed horse is a must to be a good Trail horse.

-She needs to be as bold as a Foxhunter....to go willingly where she is pointed, whether that is over a log, up a steep hill, down a gully, through rushing water, boot-sucking mud or bushwhacking through thick scrub.

-She needs to be as agile as a Show Jumper....able to easily twist and turn around trees and bushes, boulders and hop over fallen logs.

-She needs to have the stamina of an Endurance Horse....because a 7 mile ride can easily turn into a 20 mile ride if her "on-board GPS" (aka rider) takes a wrong turn.

-She needs to have the calm mind of a Rodeo Pick-Up Horse....because many horses can not hold it together under stress. But a good Trail Horse must be able to cope with the high emotional energy often coming from other horses in front, behind and either side of her. She needs to always be level-headed and sensible.

-She needs to manage being squashed against others like a Polo Pony....because on some trails her nose might be pushed against a tail in front, or flanks pressed side-by-side with rider's knees banging against other rider's knees, or another horse breathing down her back. She needs to have patience and get along well with others.

-She needs to cope with bursts of speed like a Racehorse.....because if that "on-board GPS" (aka rider), stated above, turns the short ride into 20 miles you won't get home till dark if walking that whole distance.

-She needs to be a clever problem-solver with her mind and feet like a Cutting Horse....sometimes her rider is gonna get her stuck in places that seem impossible to get out of!

-She needs to be brave like a Cow Horse because not only will she have to deal with protective mama cows and bulls out on the trails, but she'll also be faced with mountain bikes, ATVs, motorcycles, strollers, tractors, logging equipment, chainsaws, horse-drawn carts, dumped appliances, floating plastic bags and balloons, booming thunder and pouring rain with flapping slickers, loose wild horses and burros, and all forms of wildlife.

-And she needs to be cuddly and sweet like a Child's Pony....because she will spend countless hours exploring trails with her rider.

But hey.....she's "JUST" a Trail Horse!~*~

Author Unknown

My plan for this year is to grab every opportunity I get (to do anything with the horses) by the horns and go for it, I don't get many chances to get out away from home as I don't have my own transport, but I've got some multi day rides planned and will hitch lifts to anything I can :D I'm grateful of every ride I get with Jess and she's feeling great right now :D

Horse wise just a repeat of 2017 will suit me fine. Ale fab and settled at his wonderful field, happy and well. I get to watch the sun rise and set with him in peace.

And with my share lots of lovely hacking, feeling as confident as I do right now. And some fun local shows too. And I would like to start having lessons again if funds allow. And perhaps give interdressage another go.

Would love to go to the beach but my best hacking companion is out of action for a long time and I don't think it would be fair to go without her after all she has done for my confidence. So that will something to look forward to for a bit longer

You are doing really great Ale x

Well I have several, but right now I don't think any will happen unless I get life sorted. Sorry I'm very down just now. Not a good start to the year.
Goal number 1 should be to get over this last few weeks of crap and try living.
I want to do some fun rides, I managed one last year and if I hadn't had my accident it would have been two. So my goal is at least two this year.
I also want to jump the top rail of my polyblocks. There about 84cm so with a rail it will be near 90cm. I did do it a couple of times last year but with horse being forward and not careful I put the height down. Now I've lost my nerve as I haven't really jumped in 3 months. If I can I want to put up all the 8 blocks and have a clear round over all 4 jumps at the top height. That will make my day.
I'm going to have a couple of NH'ship lessons (Xmas present). Which I hope will encourage me to have more.
Would also like to have 1 or 2 Gridwork lessons.
Im going to mark my goals on a calendar.
Plan a lesson for at least once every 2 months, and maybe the other goals for in between.
I have one other horsey goal but I'm not saying anymore than that at present. I just hope I can make it happen.

Love the picky with the horse and dogs :)

OP I hope your 2018 is everything you dream of after a tough year.

For me, short term... I want to get well again, Ive had a rotten flu thing over all Christmas and New Year and Brook has now not been ridden in a month :( Before Christmas we had a lot of snow and ice , there was a brief respite but now the ice is back and not only can I not ride at home but I cant get my trailer out to get to the indoor facilities I use locally. The forecast isn’t improving any time soon so either I have to accept Im not riding for a good while longer or if I get a day when I could get the trailer down the hill, move her on livery to the yard where i use the school.

Oh what a moan i am haha ! Overall it has been a fab year and I shouldn't complain. I hope this year to actually get competing on Brook and do some more running.

I have taken to riding Cherie out on a Sunday afternoon. She is pretty good in traffic and will go anywhere without a fuss but thoroughly hates tractors. Most of them stop but its still a nightmare tbh she sort of leaps and bucks all over the place. Our road is something of a rat run for big tractors with trailers but fortunately at this time of year most of the tractor drivers are in the pub on Sunday so I get a nice quiet ride. It really helps having a foot soldier, it just gives me that feeling I have a safety back up if I happen to need one. Cherie also likes following the bike, she is quite fond of my husband (he has mints ha..ha!). My husband has started to really enjoy coming out with us and we plan some picnics and pub rides once the weather improves. All its done here is rain or blow a gale or its been icy...roll on summer

Not to eat an Easter Egg because the shops are already full of them. One shop had them out before Christmas Day!
What's happened to living for today and not constantly planning ahead.
I am going to plan some things obviously, but perhaps living in the moment should be my top priority. I hate rushing my hacks and so we don't unless the company happens to be doing a fast ride. They are clock watchers, I am a view watcher. My horse is for pleasure isn't it, then make that ride last ;)

I want to jump her over something short like a chair- idea from that book. It won't be a chair don't panic! :p But apart from two buckets I can't think of anything, yet.

Reactions: Lissie
I hope everyone has the 2018 they hope for - or one even better!

This time last year my horse was 3 months into 5 months of box rest with no guarantees of how sound he would be afterwards. I have done more in 2017 with him than I had dreamed would be possible.

2018 my goal is to do new things. So on that list is a beach ride and a novice dressage test and i would love to do a walk/trot test sidesaddle (if I can borrow one!). I am going to go an have a go a le trec and try a few of the endurance pleasure rides I think. I also have my eye on the ride where you go and jump the plane! And my friend and I want to take our horses on holiday and explore a different bit of the country.

If I do even a bit of that list it will be a great year. :)

newrider.com