plans for 2018

Well, I have been informed by my OH that he intends to take up walking this year - hills and moors is his thinking. I'm not giving up my riding time to go walking, so current plan is to go in search of these moors and hills together, him walking with the dog, and me walking on the horse. We'll see ...

My plans are

To make sure Kia is as happy and healthy as possible and to try and have as much fun as we can in our own way.

To get Logan out and about more, have him doing dressage, SJ, XC and maybe a few unaffiliated events and some shows. Hoping that his Mum gets her health back so that once he is established she can start enjoying him :)

To finish my weight loss and finally be happy in my own skin. I have lost a lot of weight (4.5st) but I have a bit more to go and also to try and tone everything up and feel good.

So nice and simple and hopefully achievable :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I plan to carry on how I am, having fun and lots of it. So that's lots of hacking, hunting until the season ends then fun rides and cross country. I'm also going to have a go at team chasing this year something I've never done before but think it looks amazing and Lottie would love it, it's her 2 favourite things going fast and jumping. I've never not been to a show for so long and I love it! Really don't miss it and I'm glad the few months without a riding horse made me realise why I was unhappy with horses and what I actually enjoyed.

The riding camps look really fun but I wouldn't want to do the dressage lessons wonder if you can opt out of that side of it. Or just do low level flatwork type of stuff.

@Jessey I love that quote you posted. Totally agree so many horses aren't fully happy/confident hacking especially alone. I think it's a really valuable skill if you have a horse who is happy to go anywhere and takes on all the challenges boldly and calmly.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
The riding camps look really fun but I wouldn't want to do the dressage lessons wonder if you can opt out of that side of it. Or just do low level flatwork type of stuff.

I went on a camp at Somerford and there was no dressage involved. Just SJ and XC (very low level for us :p )

Reactions: Lissie
For me I want to improve on my riding and finish my BHS level 1. Hopefully this year also find a loan horse so I can start riding more often.

Not making any that way I won't feel obliged to moan when it goes t*ts up and won't be disappointed - new tack sort of reverse psychology - if during the course of the year I update about getting to a show you know I have cracked it :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Just come across this and I still haven't found my short item.
Probably because then and now I have fallen over loads of other ideas I want to try.
She can jump a puddle if she's not asked does this count. :p

I have loads of plans for 2018! I want to get my petplan dressage scores (3 x 62%) one of which I already have, I want to qualify for the midway champs (3 x 65% scores!!), and I want to qualify and attend the draught horse dressage championships.

I want to build on my xc experience and take my horse round several mini (45cm ish) courses in style - which means cantering the jumps and pretending I am going round a BE90 course.

I want to go to camp at least once.

I want to push myself to do more clear round jumping. Not bothering about jumping high, going round a 60cm course well will do me proud.

Above all, I just want to enjoy my lovely horse.
Well I was full of enthusiasm for everything in January. Instead of living my dreams I have had a lame horse for 7 months. Things are improving now slightly. I have modified my plans so we can progress to trotting by the end of the year. Not quite what I planned but it would be great if it happened.

Hmmm.... this year has so far been beset with hiccups although I did say I'd crack on with G's schooling, which is happening, albeit by Fearless Abby. I've also now jumped 60cm a few times and whilst it was still a bit scary, I didn't fall off! We did buy a cracking trailer, which I hadn't put in my list and we have played at mounted games a couple of times. Adult camp was close to being booked but then events took a turn so I didn't this year. I'm hoping that autumn is a better time. ... fingers crossed!!

Last edited:
Well I was full of enthusiasm for everything in January. Instead of living my dreams I have had a lame horse for 7 months. Things are improving now slightly. I have modified my plans so we can progress to trotting by the end of the year. Not quite what I planned but it would be great if it happened.
Did they decide on the operation?
Sounding like it's heading the right way if sound enough to think of trotting.

Well, I have been informed by my OH that he intends to take up walking this year - hills and moors is his thinking. I'm not giving up my riding time to go walking, so current plan is to go in search of these moors and hills together, him walking with the dog, and me walking on the horse. We'll see ...

Haha, never happened! I did go riding on a moor but minus OH and dog ... Just now in an ideal world I would be going on the first hound exercises of the season, instead of which I am just hoping that my horse stays sound when he comes off the Danilon and I can start walking him out. This is why I don't make plans ....

newrider.com