Please can you unscramble my thoughts?

misty

Oct 6, 2016
Hi everyone,
I've been to see a horse today that I came across because of the advert copying business. He belongs to a 73 year old lady who is looking to sell for financial reasons.

I went to see him knowing he was 16hh and according to the owner met the needs of my wanted advert. He's quite local (about an hour away) but lady isn't allowed strangers on the yard so trailered him to a friend's yard to allow me to see him. She's only owned him for a year but turns out the lady who's yard it was was his previous owner and had owned him for 8 years prior.

Anyhow, that aside I'm having some difficulty. After my nightmare buying a bad-mannered and loopy Section D, I have spent a lot of time persuading myself not to rush into a decision. I also persuaded myself not to do anything I didn't feel comfortable with but to ask to see these things instead.

Both ladies rode him, demonstrated walk, trot and canter in the school, walk trot and canter in a field and then riding on a road. He seemed great in all areas. He's definitely a diamond of a find as he looks very similarly to my friends horse who she has shown to national level (not something for me but...).

Anyway, I got on and he was wearing a jumping saddle which didn't really help as my bum was too fat for it and I felt perched in the air. He also had no main or any sort of neck strap which was fine but was also something where I thought, if he takes off what will I grab? (He didn't but I want to put you in my frame of mind).

So...I rode him in walk and trot, he was very responsive but I felt like I was being bounced about a lot in the saddle (he also canters very big and both ladies stood for canter for that reason). He had good brakes in the school and was straight off the leg but I felt more forward than what I was used to - though the owner, who seemed a very experienced rider, said he was a right plod. She said 'if you don't think he's ploddy enough, I'd give up...'.

The other thing is hes a section D again. Only known 2 of these previously and, I'm sorry section D owners they were both a bit bonkers and certainly not nervous novice rides...

He had lovely manners and was really calm. Lifted all his feet no problem and stood beautifully at the mounting block - I mean whenever asked he absolutely stood like a rock which gave me some confidence with him.

I feel too nervous about it all to know how I really feel but my main concerns are:
- section D again and bad experience linked to these
- could be a bit forward for me? Was interjecting little bursts of speed sometimes but very easy to stop.
- felt a lot bouncy (could have been saddle) and bigger movements than I'm used to
- was not the ploddy cob I'd imagined but could be something so much better - but is this how you overhorse yourself?
- only other silly thing is, despite being the same size as my current RS horse, I did feel quite high up.

What I can't decide is have I pep talked myself so much about not going in with my heart that I've not allowed myself to really feel anything or is this a gut instinct? I know you can't answer that really but any thoughts and advice in terms of the details would be good.

if you felt he was too forward, he was too forward. Ignore what she said, sounds like she was trying to persuade you / belittle you which would put me off . Did you canter him? Hack him out?

Walk away. If you have doubts at this stage he isn't for you. I have a D & I'd say he was a completely safe hack, but the fact is he takes his confidence from his rider & also will test them to see what he can get away with. As a breed they do tend to be marmite ponies so if they aren't for you I wouldn't bother looking at any more.

Please don't tell me off haha but I watched her canter him and take him in a field and canter him (both women separately) but I didn't do it myself largely because I had an hour window and then someone else was coming, I felt under pressure and I thought I will do that in my own time if I know he's ok. I know I'm a fool :-\ xxx

Walk away. If you have doubts at this stage he isn't for you. I have a D & I'd say he was a completely safe hack, but the fact is he takes his confidence from his rider & also will test them to see what he can get away with. As a breed they do tend to be marmite ponies so if they aren't for you I wouldn't bother looking at any more.

Thanks :). I didn't know he was a section d when I went she just said she had a horse that matched my requirements and was 16hh so I thought rather than overthink it, I'll just go and see. Anyway as I say he turned out to be but didn't act at all like my maniac D but then neither did my maniac D until I got him home and he decided to see what I did if he ran flat out at walls haha.

Don't go there....I really don't sense that thsi is right for you and you didn't get the 'I have found him yay!!!!' feeling. Every horse I have ever bought with an iffy mindset hasn't worked.....the diamonds I have stumbled across I have known I would buy just seeing them at the yard waiting for me, even before I ride them or saw them ridden.

misty please please don't make any decision on a horse without trying it in all paces both in an arena, in a field and on a hack. And always try it at least twice! If they have more than one viewer coming per day I’d also be very wary !

I personally feel you need to ask more questions about the horses before you go.
See videos and photographs.

Off the leg suggests schooled, forward going, forward thinking.
A plod is a bit behind it, might need a little nudge. You are looking for that.

Who rode the horse first, the friend or the owner? That would tell me a lot.

When you find your horse you will feel the connection and know they are 'the one'. How dare the owner patronise you and tell you that if you find this horse too forward there is no hope. If you felt he was too forward, then he isn't for you. Don't be in too much of a rush, in time you will find what you are looking for.

Are you sure he is a section D a 16hh? I thought they were smaller.

Well he's registered at 15.2 on his passport but she told me 16hh. @newforest I know what you mean this is probably one of the first where I've not mega quizzed her but I was quick to see him as so many people jumped on her ad and I was also worried about overanalysing every little detail as I do. I've turned so many people down recently as I don't think they have the one and I saw a photo of him and thought he could be right so said I'd come up. I've also been so determined to buy privately and then suddenly had a wrench of thinking what if I'd bought manic section d privately - Id have been stuck with him.

She's been lovely when I've messaged her and told me to take the time to think about it which I've told her is what I'd like to do but obviously don't want to waste her time.

I'd be a little wary at not being able to see him at his home, how do you know what is he like to catch in the field etc?

If your gut says no I would go with it, I personally like d's because they generally aren't a ploddy cob. The knee action can make them quite springy to ride and if you're not comfortable with that then its probably not the best choice :)

But if you have that nagging feeling that you'd like to go and try him more I would set up a second viewing and ask her to ensure you have time to school and hack him, groom him etc.

As I said, they do tend to test riders to see where they stand!
I remember a lovely sec D on a previous yard, he was superb with his owner but anyone else he really would test to the limit, she said to me ' he's got one hoof on world domination and another on the panic button' have to say it would seem to apply to the breed in general, lovely horses if you know how to handle them but not for the faint hearted I don't think.

Reactions: misty
Honestly, from what you've said here I'd walk away, you are not wasting anyone's time by the way, how else are you supposed to know what a horse is like unless you try it?
I know it seems to be taking ages, but, the right horse will find you eventually. x

The size of a horse (by which I dont just mean height) makes a big difference to the feel and power of the movement under you. My share was a bigger more powerful horse than Maisie and I was warned to rise to her canter if she ever bolted as otherwise she might bump me off. At normal speeds tho her canter was very smooth and she was used to teach canter to nervous beginners like my OH. Grace with whom I am currently having some arguments about the speed and power of her canter, has a bumpy canter at the best of times.
For that matter, so do some of the RS ponies.
Riding Grace has shown me that a smooth canter to which one can sit comfortably at normal speeds is a great boon and blessing. So is a horse prepared to canter slowly and smoothly.
If I am always in a long term relationship with a horse I adore, I can adjust to almost anything but if you are shopping for a new horse. That's different.
It isnt what is on paper and take no notice of rude remarks about your riding. They warmed him up, they had him quick off the leg - and if you werent happy, that is your right. Remember Maxwell's great rule You need steering, acceleration and brakes.

What worries me most about this trial was that you were in a jumping saddle that was too small for you. Because yes you could have lost the chance of a perfect horse - tho your post suggests not.

Don't think he's the right one. I think it'd really help if you had someone more experienced buying horses with you, could a friend/instructor go with you in future?

I think everyone's clear about this one, Misty. If he didn't feel right for you, he's not right.

I passed up on several horses which, looking back, might have been really good for me, both because they felt too ploddy and because they felt like too much horse. Ziggy was not the right horse for me but he felt right and I still love him. Don't be downhearted, thank the owner and keep looking.

By the way, 2 experienced horsewomen might see a horse as a "right plod" who you see as a challenge. That's the way it is. Nobody is right or wrong, you just see things differently. And that comment about giving up, well that was a typical unsympathetic horsey comment. Ignore it!

Reactions: misty and carthorse
I agree with everyone else, if your heart is not shouting 'this is the one' and you have doubts then don't buy, you will find your one :D

newrider.com