Please pray for Millie

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Millie poodle taken in as an emergency today. She has been on a drip all day, come home for the night, going back tomorrow at 9am for more tests, including addisons. She stopped eating, very constipated, very unwell, lethargic, heart is racing. At first thought kidney failure, but bloods suggest kidneys not too bad. Urine test very concentrated so didn't show much.

She had stopped eating and was constipated which was why i made an appointment but she deteriorated. She is a bit better tonight after a litre of fluid and ate a tiny bit of pork fillet but clearly an unwell dog.

I can't stand to lose two in six weeks....please no.

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I just can't believe the day we have had. Vet said this morning this is a very unwell dog. we are still no further forward but she came home to stay overnight as thought she would be happier. She spent last night in our bed, so will take her up tonight as well. In the middle of the night woke up as she was trembling so much. I am utterly devastated, I cannot bear to lose a second poodle in six weeks....it's too much, and she is such a sweetie.

She was so down beat today, really really weary. I can't bear the pain of another loss right now, and she is such a nice dog and was so enjoying being part of our family

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
If it's any reassurance a friend had a lab with addisons and while he needed care he lived with it for many years.

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
If it's any reassurance a friend had a lab with addisons and while he needed care he lived with it for many years.
Harrison's brother has it but the vet doesn't think she has it, but wants to test to rule it out before further investigations/treatment. His initial thought this morning was kidney failure....but the blood tests didn't show massive issues with the kidneys so we just know she is weak, not eating at the moment, and dehydrated though a bit better after being on a drip. Just so tough so soon after Kim and she is so lovely and was so happy

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
It must almost be worse not knowing what's wrong, and being unable to help her. I really hope this is a blip, some random thing that will go as quickly as it came. You must be in bits. Hugs for you and Millie, and vibes for a speedy recovery for your girl.

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
She ate a tiny bit of pork fillet last night, slept on sofa and slept all night on our bed, wrapped in a duvet jacket, she was sound all night. Been out in garden managed to woof at the hens when i let them out. She is a little perkier than yesterday when she wasn't interested in the daily ritual of hens being let out and Millie dancing and whining watching them, so a woof was an improvement, still very weak. No idea what will happen today just hoping for the best.

Reactions: Huggy

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Oh no I'm just catching up on this, how worrying, hopefully the small improvement this morning is a good sign. Healing vibes coming her way x

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Oh no I'm just catching up on this, how worrying, hopefully the small improvement this morning is a good sign. Healing vibes coming her way x
we are devastated, i know we have had her only since 12th July but she has made such a huge inroad into hearts, she was so enjoying her life, going out in the car, interesting walks, head down rabbit burrows.....she was so full of herself and happy. And we adore her, she is a big goofy lump. Harrison is so upset,

Reactions: Jessey

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
She ate a tiny bit of pork fillet last night, slept on sofa and slept all night on our bed, wrapped in a duvet jacket, she was sound all night. Been out in garden managed to woof at the hens when i let them out. She is a little perkier than yesterday when she wasn't interested in the daily ritual of hens being let out and Millie dancing and whining watching them, so a woof was an improvement, still very weak. No idea what will happen today just hoping for the best.
Hope that's a good sign.

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
going to collect her at 6pm. Vet rang earlier. He re=-ran the blood tests from yesterday to see how much change there was given she was more hydrated as the readings were skewed by that. Some of the elements have gone down, to normal, i.e. kidney function scores. however the one for addisons disease has gone down but in the way that suggests it could be addisons i.e. the reduction is more indicative of addisons than the previous score. She was tested for addisons today and that has been sent to lab for processing and hope for result tomorrow. Vet hopes it is Addisons as at least it is treatable and manageable. her heart is still a bit raised. And he is concerned that if addison's is negative then we are probably looking for nasties. He can scan her ok, which he would do tomorrow, but reluctant to risk x raying her as needs sedation for that. So still all up in the air.

• Sad

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
That sounds tentatively hopeful, though I know it's far from ideal. I'll keep everything crossed x