Really bad spook out hacking!!

Thanks @squidsin , I am on my own, in my own yard, but I do have horsey friends who I will get to take turns coming out with me on a bike, they did this when I first got Marley. I am hoping though it will only take a few tries before he sees everything is ok. Yes I know what you mean about relaxing when chatting away to someone, it does help.:)

Thanks @squidsin , I am on my own, in my own yard, but I do have horsey friends who I will get to take turns coming out with me on a bike, they did this when I first got Marley. I am hoping though it will only take a few tries before he sees everything is ok. Yes I know what you mean about relaxing when chatting away to someone, it does help.:)
It's why I make my best friend come with me when I do XC. (She is horsey but says she doesn't ever want to do XC again so comes as my official relaxer!)

Poor you! Marley was obviously properly scared, and I was scared for both of you watching your video. Race or no race, the cyclists should have had the common sense to slow down when they see a panicking horse. I would be making a very harsh complaint to the organisers and send them your video as well. It is completely disgraceful for cyclists to ignore you and pass at that speed. There really is no excuse at all.

As for making the right decision, you can only do what your instinct tells you to do at the time. You didn't know he was going to leg it down the road when you turned. Try not to dwell about that side of things, and focus on rebuilding your confidence. x

So sorry to read about this, sending lots of good hack again vibes. Maybe try lots of field pootling and then at the end just a tiny hack, not really far at all? Does he gets treats? Maybe work slowly towards going back to the place where he was most scared and give him a few treats then he starts to associate it with nicer things? I do feel so sorry for you. But I feel you will get back to where you were. I always like watching your hack videos and you both seem so happy and do so well, you will be okay again, just take your time.

I wish I was close to you I would come out with you on my bike anytime to try and make up for what happened. I hope you can get your confidence back soon :(

Reactions: joellie
@joellie - all is not lost, don't worry, he will come round with a bit of time and patience, ditto others in taking it back a step to a hack so small and manageable and work from there. He'll be back to his old brave self in no time you'll see. xx

Joellie ....I don't know what to say - that video clip had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. Huge respect, IMO you did all the correct things and the best you could possibly do under those dreadful circumstances. Mostly I am so sorry that for the moment at least, all the hard work and effort you have put in to educating Marley to the big wide world has been set back. But it most certainly IS and will be a temporary blip in his journey with you. I would lie if I told you he will soon get over it - he will get over it for sure as he very obviously has the head of a sensible and nice ride, as will you, but it will take some time and some careful thinking to move forward from this horrible experience.

I know you are up in the North - and if I am near enough to you I will happily give you any assistance I can to get back from this set back. Perhaps appeal to the bike club to help you with some desensitizing work with Marley - controlled and under your guidance?

@joellie I am so so sorry you went through this. To start with, I think you're brave dealing with it. It doesn't matter how you think you dealt with it, I think you're brave and you're fab so please don't be cross with yourself. I would have done the same but probably been in a right state. Toffee is terrified of those low bike things so I completely understand. I think you should give yourself a pat on the back for handing it the way you did. I'd have had a meltdown most probably. And I totally agree you should have had forewarning of this event.

However, safer for the rider so you have to weigh it up in the moment.

Agree with this. There have been situations where I have been safer off but also situations where I was so relieved I stayed on!

You are all such a really nice bunch, I always knew you all were but you have all been so nice and supportive. It really does make me think I am not on my own dealing with this. @Cortrasna I really appreciate the offer of help but I think I am a bit too far away. I am thinking I may give him a few days off and then just ride in the field and up and down the road in front of the yard for a couple of days. Then I will get a friend to come out with us on her bike and see how he is with a bit of company. I saw a second hand trike which looks very similar to the recumbant bikes, it is a kids one but I think i will buy it and go up and down the yard on it in front of his stable.

@Ale you don't have to make up for anything, but that is very nice of you to say that :)

Last edited:
That was quite a scare, I've not much to add to other comments but just to say I feel your anguish, when jess was about 5 we were out in the forest with a friend (also on horseback) just mooching along, as we approached a corner 9 bikes came whistling round it, they were flat out down hill (all in matching jerseys so some kind of club or training), and they barely missed us, a couple flew off their bikes doing their best not to hit us and it really spooked jess (and them). Initially every corner in the forest jess would tense up, she would also take a swipe at any bike within kicking range for a while :oops: she did get over it though, I can lead her off my bike, she can even tolerate small packs at speed if she can see them coming but I do still have to be aware if they glide up behind us quietly, she can still shoot forwards or swipe at them occasionally.

Reactions: SeeingSpots
what a great idea from @Cortrasna ! could you get in touch with the bike club and let them see your video.. appeal to them for some help?
See that's the thing it is only the recumbent bikes he is scared off and there are very few of them. There was actually only 2 in the race on Sunday and it was just sods law that on both occasions I tried to get up the hill one of them was coming down plus the organisers told me the riders of both are disabled riders. So I wouldn't want to put them out. I think I will try and get something that looks very similar to desensitise him. But yes it was a great idea.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
Oh lovely, I've only just seen this. Poor Morley was truly terrified, you didn't do anything wrong, you certainly did better than I would have done. I'm very, very lucky that I know if Belle is scared and I get off she will calm down, she prefers to have mum next to her in scary situation, but I know you said Morley doesn't cope well if you get off.
So sorry it's knocked his confidence but as @Cortrasna says it will be a temporary blip. He'll get his confidence back for sure with your kindness and patience. Hugs to you, you will get there.

Poor Marley, he really was scared. You were very brave to stay at it and very good to stay on!

I love the bit at the end where his lower lip is floppy - "Please Mum can we stop now?"

I've never met a recumbent bike with Ziggy but they surely are weird, I hate them.

or you not using bigger swear words! Mine brings out the most foulest language in me when she does that:oops:!
I shocked myself for today's language aimed at a vehicle with added sign language!

To the OP I would complain to the organisers and perhaps inform the police. Racing is illegal surely if it's not properly organised with signs, stewards, road closures etc.

newrider.com