Saying goodbye

K

kestrel

My 26 year old mare is going to be pts early tomorrow morning & i'm dreading it. How have any owners who have gone through this themselves dealt with this situation?
I'll be holding her while she is eating a lovely last feed with lots of treats & i'm hoping the weather will be dry.
She has been a great horse & taught me a lot over the 6 years that she's been with me. Don't think i'll sleep much tonight but will try to remember all the good times with her.
Her name is Kestrel, & she's the horse in my avatar.
I know i'm not the only owner who has to go through this but it still is so upsetting.
I am thankful for NR as you guys are so nice & i know that you'll understand what i'm going through which is a comfort.

oh its always so sad

we had a bad run earlier this year at our yard with 3 pts in 3 weeks and then about 6 weeks later another was pts

everyone dealt with it in different ways

I cried my eyes out with one of the girls, we just sobbed our hearts out

I hope tomorrow goes peacefully for you both and the weather cheers up

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow (and Kestrel of course)

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I'll be thinking of you. And you know what? Be proud of yourself for doing the right thing as any responsible owner should...because you might be surprised how many owners shirk that responsibility and pass on their elderly horses, just because they can't bear to do it. And whilst I know it's almost unbearably difficult, if it needs to be done, then do it you must. And you are doing. Be kind to yourself, if only for that reason.

I promise you, that whilst you will cry buckets initially, it will get easier, and you'll find that more and more of the good times come to mind. But until that happens, be patient with yourslef, you have the right to expect others to be patient with you too. Let yourself have a good cry when you need to and don't feel guilty about it. After all, she has been your friend and companion for the last six years. She's taught you so much, and if that is so....then you must have been doing a whole lot right too....

Hope it's at least dry, and quiet for you. HAve a hug....and go try and get some sleep, hun.

I find myself saying this everytime as I dont think there is a more perfect saying..

"Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved"...:)

Stay strong and let time mend your broken heart, Sweet Dreams Kestrel. :)

I think it was Sir Walter Scott who said the reason animals dont live similar life length to humans is that then the pain would be just too much to bear when you lose them....there might be something in that.

Be happy for your horse, they have had a great life with you and now they are tired and the best service you can do for them is to let them sleep sound.

The tears are the price you pay for loving them, but better that than any other way.

I hope things go as you would wish tomorrow, and all the best wishes.....

So sorry x

It sounds like your mare has had a long and lovely life with you, and is having a very dignified ending.. more than so many horses could ever wish for.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow morning x

im so sorry that you have to go through this. the two we have lost died very suddenly and so we had no warning, but a woman who lives near us took their tail hair and made it into beautiful bracelets for us. i know it may sound weird but it made us feel better that someone else understood. we lost a 2 yr old a few years ago who was a full brother to pippa funnel's 2004 olympic mount. it was hard bcause he had such a short life and so much potential, but we fought very hard with him for five hours and the knowledge that we did everything we could helped to ease the pain. it sounds like kestrel has had a wonderful long life and will end it knowing that she was loved very much and i think that is the best thing that can happen. mae and i will be thinking of you and i wish you all the best.

Take each day one day at a time and take comfort knowing she was with someone who loved her.

Fly free Kestrel.

Be thinking of you x

Last edited:
My horse had to be pts in may.It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but he was suffering and it was the decent thing to do.The night before he died he got all his favorite treats and a long backrub and scratched and rubbed all his favorite places. The next morning I walked out with him and gave him all the peppermints he wanted. After the vet gave the first injection I walked away, as I could not bear to see him drop down.He had known kindness all of his life and I made sure he felt kindness at the end. While it is an incredibly difficult thing to do take comfort in the thought that you are doing what is best for your horse. Take care.

my thoughts are with you x

i know i cant say anything that will help in anyway but like monty said, be proud for doing the right thing and putting this gorgeous little mare out of pain/misery/discomfort

chin up sweet

think happy memories :)

I'll be thinking of you when the time comes. There is no 'proper' way to deal with it. Give her a cuddle and let her know that you love her when she passes on.

When my elderly pony Cupcake died it took a long time for me to think about her and not cry out of absolute misery that she wasn't there. A year on I can think about her and have the biggest smile on my face. I'm smiling right now actually.

*Hugs* to you. She looks like an stunning horse :)

So sorry to hear about Kestral,i will be thinking of you this morning,sending lots of (((hugs))).Run free at the Rainbow Bridge Kestral.

newrider.com