Shetland conformation/showing

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
This kind of goes in both sections - sorry!

Having been to a couple of local shows, Im intrigued as to the showing of shetlands... It seems they often don't get a second look in an M&M class - with Welsh A's tending to win in the small M&M classes and As or Ds winning in the generic classes not split by height. Is there a reason for this?

Secondly, what are the characteristics looked for in a shetland and in a miniature shetland?

(This is no reflection on piggy wigs performance - he has nobbly knees, back legs that don't bend, stifles that slip.... and has a tendency to nip the judge it would seem... I get why we don't get placed much :giggle::eek: - but there have been some nice stamps of shetlands at the shows)

I stewarded at our RC show last summer for the in hand classes. A super-cute and very fit and slim little Shetland came 2nd in the M&M in hand (to a really stunning little Dartmoor) and another Shetland came 1st in the ridden small M&M and got a 3rd in the overall championship.

So we do not have apart-height in Surrey!

How long is a bit of string.?

What folk like as a Shetland in the Isles and what is considered worthy in Essex are worlds apart.

A Shetland is NEVER going to be able to move like a Welsh A. Their conformation won't let them, their whole breeding/history is not going to make them able to move like a Welsh A.

What you have to do is look at the Shetland and ask yourself is this a good example of the breed and is it moving and put together as well as he could be for a Shetland and not compare it to any other UK M&M.
Basically they have to be free of any conformation fault common in any horse. Clean limbs, straight movement with plenty of elevation. Good occlusion especially. A small horse's head, not a pony/arab face, (but some judges like a pony face) Good bone and lots of it (but some folk like long skinny legs) A broad well sprung ribcage (but some judges like leaner types) Lots and lots of mane and tail. Comapct, strong and A GOOD TEMPERAMENT!

Veronica1.jpg

Championship winning mare against Shetlands only

Championship winning Stallion, against other Shetlands
may007336copyg.jpg

I have seen a stunning shetland win M&M first ridden and lead rein at HOYS. Sadly judging at local shows is variable and less experienced judges are more likely to be taken in by the flashy movement of the Welsh.

I would however say that ponies doing well in open ridden classes are generally a bit lighter in type than those winning breed classes, probably a reflection of the fact that as breed they were not bred to carry small kids! There is an adult competes a stunning Shetland in M&M workers with great success at national level!

Yes I figure they can't be compared directly as such, and personally, I would always vote for a "hardy" pony over a "show pony" - I have to admit to not being a fan of the welsh show pony stuff - I much prefer the mountain pony version bred to work. Same with the shetlands - as you say though it is down to the judge on the day.

I always thought how rascal stands was against him - but your lovely mare has her back legs out behind her too? He doesn't have the elevation - he is a shuffler, and I prefer him "skinny" which isn't particularly popular either. And has all sorts of other lovely faults anyway - but always thought how he stands was wrong and weird for a shetland? He does well in novelties though... mainly as the little girl is innocently cute who leads him about.

b020d5ac.jpg

By occlusion do you mean they are not parrot mouthed wally?

Last edited:
A good judge is not comparing pony to pony across the breeds but looking for the best and closest to the standard of each breed. I suspect Wallys stallion would beat most others of any breed as he looks to be very close to a perfect example of the breed standard!!

A good judge is not comparing pony to pony across the breeds but looking for the best and closest to the standard of each breed. I suspect Wallys stallion would beat most others of any breed as he looks to be very close to a perfect example of the breed standard!!

Yes, he is stunning :inlove:

At the breed show our boy won the breed classes ands next to him was a white grey popny who won all the ridden /driven classes.

Chalk and cheese does not even begin to describe the difference. Temperament was the only thing that matched.
They were in a pen, side by side and the daft pair spent half the day playing over the hurdles. The man who's son rode the pony said to me
"If that was my stallion I'd be worried, he likes our gelding an awful lot"
so I replied,
"so you'd rather our stallion was trying to kill your gelding rather than be friends with him then?"
He agreed he'd prefer that temperament to a stallion who was agressive to other horses.
His little grey looked more like a Welsh A than a Shetland. Perfect for ridden classes, not what I'd class as a good example of an Island pony

I always thought how rascal stands was against him - but your lovely mare has her back legs out behind her too? He doesn't have the elevation - he is a shuffler, and I prefer him "skinny" which isn't particularly popular either. And has all sorts of other lovely faults anyway - but always thought how he stands was wrong and weird for a shetland? He does well in novelties though... mainly as the little girl is innocently cute who leads him about.

b020d5ac.jpg

By occlusion do you mean they are not parrot mouthed wally?
Yes, the mouth of a Shetland needs to be damned near perfect. Our vet is very hot on that. Failed out 99.9% perfect colt on his mouth being out by 2mm.
You see, I think he is a good, healthy weight , however the show folk would say he was too light. STICK TO YOUR GUNS, the more folk who show good weight ponies ought to get placed over grossly over weight ponies any day. IF he can woo them with his manners and temperament he will do more for the breed than any championship winning gobshite who may well have conformation to die for but has the temperament and manners of a pig.

That photo of your guy is not doing him any justice, it makes his front end look too heavy for the back end. Keep him that weight, he looks fantastic.

The photo was just to show how he stands - he either stands camped up underneath or sprawled like that. This is his most normal stance - just thought it was bad conformation to stand with back legs out?

3d6edc25.jpg

Also people seem to fidget with their horses when standing for judge - should you do this with Shetlands and should I be doing it or the handler who is five? Same as trotting up - he behaves well for her but it's not posh and fancy like everyone elses!
c2d51200.jpg

My daughter always wanted to show our shettie but not sure would have done well as i felt he was overweight. He had beautiful colouring and a lovely temperament so maybe he would have been ok.

IMG_0410.jpg

He's wet from the rain in this pic.

You both have colour against you, yes I know drives me nuts too.(my fave is a dun, especially a silver dun) a good hrose is never a bad colour but in the Shetland show ring to do any good you have to be black, chestnut, piebald or skewbald, Occasionally a white grey might, just might get a look in. Performance classs tend not to be so colour biased.

Getting them to stand up for the judge square is the main thing, you don't want them "stacked out" like a show dog or a Morgan horse. Just a good square stand. I don't like folk jinggling and tugging and messing all the time with the lead.

Thing is, for me, a good Shetland is one that a 5 year old can do anything with at a show and not need an adult to help them. I'd get out there, get them both showing and show them what a great little pony he is.

Yes, I've heard in more than one occasion that m&m ponies can't be coloured - someone was placed last on Sunday in m&m class because of this. Rascal is a blue roan I think which is even worse as he loses his patches periodically!

We have four more shows planned so will be doing just that :) was just interested to learn what they were looking for in a Shetland

Thanks for everyone's help :)

Last edited:
Perfect just what I was after!!

Plaiting his Mane does not make it curly - its too coarse - neither can I make it straight. Why do people do how theirs the electric shock look by loads of tiny plaits? Should his just be left wavy? Imaging needing straighteners here!! It's not as fluffy as I think it ought to be, and it all choses to lie on one side?

I think his top jaw looks a bit parrot mouthed? Though dentist had no concerns other than some sharp bits at the back.

He has no shoulders and ribs are exceedingly well sprung Unfortunatley for tack fitting.

He has lovely feet... Shame about the legs!

Thanks for that - I googled for a while last night but stupidly didn't think to look on breed site!!! Just what I was after!

Manes come in many shapes and forms, I don't kniow anyone who plaits to make it wavy, you either have a wavy mane or a puff ball one. Some have very long silky mane like an Iberian.

Hetty's mane is just one big mass of tight waves, it's a pain as it turns to dreads in the winter gales.
Viola137.jpg

Charlie has no crimp in his at all.
IMG_1792.jpg

Last edited:
[/IMG]I was thinking this recently when someone suggested I should take Holly to a local show. I know she isn't true to type, and has petite features, we got into the conversation of the variants in Shetlands and what might do well in a show. Friend has a great stocky (but overweight) Shetland who looks like she could pull a steam train, but Holly is "cuter" so might go in her favour locally who knows, personally if I was judge hers would do better, friend said other way around. I wonder if there are any set rules in local small shows?

Holly

34665_411594229276_515304276_4118129_6773448_n.jpg

Last edited:
[/IMG]I was thinking this recently when someone suggested I should take Holly to a local show. I know she isn't true to type, and has petite features, we got into the conversation of the variants in Shetlands and what might do well in a show. Friend has a great stocky (but overweight) Shetland who looks like she could pull a steam train, but Holly is "cuter" so might go in her favour locally who knows, personally if I was judge hers would do better, friend said other way around. I wonder if there are any set rules in local small shows?

Holly

34665_411594229276_515304276_4118129_6773448_n.jpg

She looks like Pipa in the face, Pippa is one of our mares who is much lighter and more refined than the rest.

Interestingly we were at an NPS (National Pony Society) show today with our Connie. The variety of types within all native breeds is amazing. All comformed to breed standards but were of different types.

We used to show a very fine Shetland who always won ridden classes but was always bottom of the line in breed classes. We now have a very old fashioned Connie who some judges love, some hate, like many things it is a matter of finding judges who like your type of pony.

newrider.com