Shetland conformation/showing

we now have the two shetlands - Acorn 36" and Nuts 34" - Acorn is much lighter than Nuts build wise, Nuts has much more bone and is more compact.

We show Acorn mostly in mixed M & M , coloured and other open clases at all levels.

we did a local show today - he had 3rd in condition and coloured but was 6th in the m & m - we wer the only shetland representative = tbh we love taking on the big boys and other breeds - at 36" he is standard and he does look small in comparison in breed classes - ridden wise hes sharp.

heres a pic from today in the coloured class 3rd out of 8

Attachments

• mill lane May 2012 Acorn 012.jpg
    mill lane May 2012 Acorn 012.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 38
Sweep in her day has won many classes both shetland classes and mountain and moorland. The last show I took her to at the age of 21 she won reserve champion at a local show winning all the bigger horses and ponies, She was beaten by the little lead rein rider on a welsh B. She entered about 5 classes that day and was placed in them all.

Before I bought her she was owned by a lady with a Shetland stud and had one some good shows with heri including county level.

I think Sweep is finer than a lot of Shetlands I see but the foal she had for us was a right chunky foal who won at every show we took him to including several best foal and best youngsters SPS class rosettes at bigger shows.

I will treat myself to another Shetland for showing when I am older :) I enjoyed it it was fun, Sweep was the first pony we ever showed ( we had only owned her one day) She won her class and went into the championship at a local show :) from there we got the showing bug as a family.

Here is a picture of Sweep with her hoard of rosettes from her last show :)

Sweeprosettes.jpg

Last edited:
Sweep( Stow Drum Majorette) is mainly Wells bred, Sire is Ardo Superstyle, Grand sire is Wells Superstyle on sires side.

Dam is Stow Drummer Girl whos sire was Wells Renown

We have had her about 14 years but she was on loan for a few years.

She has safely taught about 10 children to ride over the years and currently has a new family loaning her :) but still on our yard. She is a really special Shetland.

image.jpg We took our 2yo filly to her first show yesterday and even though they liked her they judge said she had a terrible mouth. She has a very slight underbite is this what they would have meant? She has had her teeth done and the dentist didn't mention anything?

Shetland ponies MUST have a perfect mouth to be looked at in the show ring. It would not affect her as far as eating and general day to day everything, but there is a massive problem with parrot mouth and lower jaw deformities in minis and Shetlands, so nothing other than perfection is allowable in the show ring. Our vet will fail a perfect stallion if his occlusion is anything other than perfect. Don't worry about her welfare day to day, it won;t affect her most likely, only in the show ring

Shetland ponies MUST have a perfect mouth to be looked at in the show ring. It would not affect her as far as eating and general day to day everything, but there is a massive problem with parrot mouth and lower jaw deformities in minis and Shetlands, so nothing other than perfection is allowable in the show ring. Our vet will fail a perfect stallion if his occlusion is anything other than perfect. Don't worry about her welfare day to day, it won;t affect her most likely, only in the show ring
thank you for your reply. We had this filly from a person who bought a trailer full back from a sale. She has an amazing temperament and is very nicely marked so we thought we'd enter her and see how she got on. We were hoping to do a little showing with her which we may well continue even just locally if her mouth is going to be a problem. It's such a shame as the judge liked her very much apart from this. She's going to make a great childs pony though with her temperament so were not disappointed. Will just take her along to shows for fun. We also have a mini who's pretty perfect but is very very badly behaved. This filly is a dream she puts our Arabs to shame and she's only 2!

I wouldn’t have believed how addictive shetlands are. I am absolutely besotted by standard blacks and have an increasing little herd! As others have said; the breed standard is the breed standard but a lot is down to personal preference, there is huge competition in standard blacks and ponies need to be well up to height. Most of the shows I’ve done/do are SPSBS but I’ve yet to see any mixed M&M classes with Shetlands near the top of the line. Interestingly, my ponies mouths are always checked in SPSBS classes but so far not in mixed M&M.

Is your filly coloured? You could also do chaps classes?

I wouldn’t have believed how addictive shetlands are. I am absolutely besotted by standard blacks and have an increasing little herd! As others have said; the breed standard is the breed standard but a lot is down to personal preference, there is huge competition in standard blacks and ponies need to be well up to height. Most of the shows I’ve done/do are SPSBS but I’ve yet to see any mixed M&M classes with Shetlands near the top of the line. Interestingly, my ponies mouths are always checked in SPSBS classes but so far not in mixed M&M.

Is your filly coloured? You could also do chaps classes?
Yes she is piebald and nicely marked so we did think about the coloured classes the little 1's just seem to get swamped in other sections but we really only do it for fun. I'm sure we'll still enter her at local shows it's just good to know she won't stand a chance in affiliated Shetland classes as it costs so much money and travelling. Really don't mind not being placed but if there's no hope would rather try m&m and coloured just for fun. We have a mini who's a nitemare and so naughty but we've fallen in love with this filly she's such a lovely girl and I don't ever have mares so it's been a surprise!

Reactions: CharliesAngel
Go and get 'em! I am rather biased when it comes to Coloured ponies, we showed Acorn in mixed breed and Coloured classes from the age of 2 at both local and county level and he was very successful in them even thought he could be quite naughty at times, he has never done so well at the SPSBS classes but hes lighter than most would like and 36" is not a mini but on the small side in a standard class, he did quite well in the youngstock classes in affiliated where his manners could be shelved under enthusiasm for a season but in the 4+ , even though manners improved (you much got what mood he was on the day) height, weight,colour and sex (unless you had a Gelding specific class) often became obstacles, but that's showing you live with it - as long as we achieved what we wanted the rest was a bonus, but its good to do the odd breed class under rules, support the breed.

Mixed breed and coloured a different ball game, providing you have the right confirmation, a good pony is a good pony and we found we were judged fairly in most classes - Acorn used to up him game the bigger his opponent! As a Native we would often stand him between the two biggest hairy cobs we would, he certainly caught the judges eye and his movement and forward going and character made sure they didn't forget him.

Hi I'm interested in showing my 5 yo shetland mare. Just wanted some advice and to see if she would actually place in showing classes.
She's 33" and full chestnut, and clean limbed she has a nice trot but I'm not sure if it's too choppy.

Could anyone give me advice on wether she would do well in the showing classes, I've never down showing before so I'm not really clued up in what's good and bad.

I'll get a few more pics of her if needed :)

image.jpg

A full body side shot with her standing square would be fab. And maybe a video of her moving!

Welcome to the forum :)

Does she have a red SPSBS passport?

She has some very good lines in that pedigree. Marshwood, Transy and Berry studs are well good. Burnside is in Unst, Berry is in Scalloway and the old Marshwood lines were from Shetland too.

newrider.com