Showing attire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Showing Mad said:
Sorry to post again but...... sidesaddlelady aren't you giving advice as if they were riding side saddle?? With the hats and everything??? Also whilst on the theme of hats, i have saw a few people out last year in green velvet hats??? Anyone any ideas what this is about? To match the tweeds or what?

SM xXx
No. I have stewarded up to county level with national level judges including BHS & HOYS qualifiers for astride classes for 8 years. I was speaking of astride classes. SS is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Kanuma said:
black hats are rarely seen in the pony classes at all, it is rare enough to see them on boys so yes she would be the only one wearing a black hat. as for it not being correct 57 years ago maybe you should modernise! every showpony, show hunter pony and most WHP at PUK, HOYS, BSPS and NCPA chaps were wearing blue hats (with the occasional brown in the WHP and SHP classes).

stellah ignore SideSaddlelady. i think you will look very smart, although yes the hairnet should match your hair.
this is me this season which has been quite sucessful despite problems with my ponies limiting what i could do! whilst the blue tweed isnt exactly great it has served its purpose and will be replaced this year with a nice green tweed, with inset navy velvet collar it will be the only thing changeing though. that jacket also has a red overcheck and im wearing a burghundy tie and canary jods!

stanmM.jpg
<as for it not being correct 57 years ago maybe you should modernise!> This is actually the second time you have chosen to misinterpret what I have written. I said I was 57. I have been stewarding in the ring for the last 8 years including HOYS qualifier classes both astride and ss and I think I do know what judges are influenced by. They will often make "sotto voce" comments to their steward which they would not make to competitors.

And finally, once and for all, to close this thread...

To settle the argument so that no-one else will be confused in this matter.

BHS. BETA (the trade association for manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers of equestrian equipment), CHAPS, BSPS a several SSA judges who judge other astride disciplines all deny any knowledge of this idea that Kanuma has that (A)ladies are not permitted to wear black riding hats in the ring (or anywhere else that she may fancy) or that (B) ladies must wear blue hats.

I lost the will to live and the inclination to carry on any further pointless research.

However, if K can come up with published evidence to the contrary and post a copy here, quoting author and publisher (for copyright reasons), I will be grateful for the information as, no doubt, other forum contributors and the afore-mentioned organisations will too.

At the beginning of the summer season most magazines such as Horse, Your Horse, Horse & Rider, etc., run articles on correct showing attire for all disciplines.I suggest you have a look for one or more of these articles which are usually produced by experts in the various disciplines.

fair point, did I mis-understand you then, as i took it that you were saying black is more suitable than navy. Surley if that was the case, they would have imformed you about that when contacted. Wouldn't they?

Last edited:
Something is either correct or not, it cannot be "more correct"

It might be becoming fashionable, or commonplace, but you cannot knock someone down a level for fashion.

When I did a bit of showing on RS ponies in my youth (which wasn't all that long ago) I was always told brown hat, brown boots, brown tweed or black hat, black boots and 'other' tweed. There was rarely a navy hat to be seen. I also thought the idea was to keep it simple and workmanlike so that you looked professional and yet didn't look like you were trying to outshine the pony/horse you were on.

I think this may be a case of fashion disguised as rule.

oh honestly, get of your high horse sidesaddlelady nowhere has kanuma stated that it was a rule that you have to wear a blue hat all she was implying that you 'should' because it is what everyone else does not that you 'have to' in all the rule books it only says 'a riding hat up to current standards' nowhere does it say anyhting about colour be it blue, black or purple with orange dots.
In my 10 years of showing i have honestly never seen anyone female wearing a black hat, granted some of the blue hats were very dark but they were still blue. In a standard showing class you always wear a blue jacket and erm... blue jacket, black hat? that has to be wrong.
last thing, if you demand 'published evidence' you should provide it too. from you we have had nothing but your word that you steward at big shows and that hats should be black. Perhaps you feel like presenting evidence too? a few photo's of you stewarding or the articles showing what you should wear that you demand of kanuma. And perhaps you could give us the names of the judges you know. After all with out evidence why should we believe you either?
Edited to add: just been to another forum dedicated to showing, showing and nothing but showing, with poeple who have been (and won) at shows like hoys and they all say Navy (blue).

Last edited:
I agree, i think its patheitic that some people go so far out of their way to make others feel small or wrong. I think each person has the right to voice their opinion but should keep it to themselves if it is not nice. It should not be seen as a crime if people enter classes not wearing the 'correct' dress as the sole purpose of equestrianism is about the horse and rider, obviously?:)

Stella xXx

Last edited:
jamey, I htink it used to be brown (i dont' know when, no refeerence to your age here) brown hats but with all the safty regs and the fashion for blue, brown(velvet) hats with the right saftey markings are ridiculously expensive and impossible to get hold of. In my time showing i've only ever seen a few of them and i don't think they'd meet saftey regs now)

Last edited:
SSL may disagree with the rest of us, but then I have never seen hard facts either way either, just been taught that navy hat with any colour jacket and black long boot are correct, so that is what I will stick with as it's more common. SSL has obviously been taught something else and although what SSL says does make sense, I would rather go with the majority (Blue hat, black long boots, green tweed, lightly canary jods) than stand out for the wrong reasons.

In a standard showing class you always wear a blue jacket

Just to avoid confusion, what do you mean by blue jacket? And what do you mean by standard showing class? :eek:

I agree, i think its patheitic that some people go so far out of their way to make others feel small or wrong. I think each person has the right to voice their opinion but should keep it to themselves if it is not nice. It should not be seen as a crime if people enter classes not wearing the 'correct' dress as the sole purpose of equestrianism is about the horse and rider obviously?

If you're referring to me there, I told you in my reply to your PM that I didn't mean any offence by it, but that I was giving advice as to what is deemed correct. Showing does take turnout into account, and the correct dress is correct for a reason, ie it is what is best for the type of horse and what shows it off best. I'm sure you wouldn't take a hunter into a class unplaited, so why turn yourself out incorrectly? If it comes to the crunch between two horses and the only difference is that one is turned out correctly and one isn't, the correctly turned out would come top.

Oh, and Charles Owen hats are available in brown. It usually only costs an extra £10 to have them made. And Regent do brown long boots at no extra cost.

sorry about the confusion what i meant by 'standard show classes' (silly me thinking people could read inside my head) i meant show pony classes/ showhorse classes/ hacks things like that. That are sort of the bigger classes, apart from the hunters. (with bigger prize money:D )
Not sure on the question about the blue jacket cause i can't think of another way of describing it apart from just a blue showing jacket (look exactly like the tweeds but made out of some fabric(usually synthetic unless you want to pay quite a bit) dyed blue, well navy and sometimes with a velvet colllar.
didn't know charles owen did brown, don't think you can get that sort of thing where i live (middle of nowhere with only tidgy tigdy tack shops).

Might be wrong again BUT i thought you wore tweed for everything apart from hacks and riding ponies (and optional for arabs)?
ie. tweed for
riding horse
cobs
hunters
shp
M+M
most coloureds
Wh
etc etc

Horsesarelife said:
Might be wrong again BUT i thought you wore tweed for everything apart from hacks and riding ponies (and optional for arabs)?

That's why I clarified ;)

I wondered whether by standard showing classes you meant equitation, rcp things like that, as out of what I would call standard showing classes; show pony, show hunter pony, riding pony, int. show riding type, int. show hunter type, show hunter, working hunter, m&m, arab, hack, riding horse etc, only 4 (i think isrt's need one) wear navy jackets, which is why I was a bit confused. :)

yeah sorry about the confusion but what i meant was, as i explained above (might have cross posted), is the sort of class that if you talk to a non showing person they immediatly leap too, you know preety shiny ponies plaited, blue jackets, quater marks etc the 'stereotypical' showing.
edited to add: if that makes any sense am high on nutella

This is why I now ride Icelandics, unless you are going to the world Champs, Then the team all wears matching jeckets and hats and jodhs, you can wear what you like, they are judging the way you ride and the way the horse goes. I have seem some folk in a sweatshirt and hunter wellis get placed first in a class! :) ;) ;) :D

i have just read this thread and personaly i think its getting a bit out of hand . i too have been consistantly told that a navy hat is correct and although there is no RULE it is deemed to look more professional. if you go to county shows and look at what the winners wear its is a navy hat. i also go on the forum that ilostmymarbles was reffering to if anybody would like to know which one it is and bring up this debate with people that have won at hoys etc then they are very welcome to PM me for the adress. everybody is entitled to their opinion but they have to back up what they say.

I've decided that the reason there is a problem here is because there is no set and hardfast and down in writing legitimate rule. Therefore, yes if you wanted you could wear a purple hat.

So the choice is; be traditionally correct and wear black, or be currently correct and wear blue.

Oooh I suit red.

I bet it'd look fantastic teamed with my brown tie, mint shirt, pink tweed, white gloves, banana coloured jods and oxblood long boots. On a strawberry roan show hunter, he's a pure bred shire. We got him one of those Otto Schumacher bridles with the baby blue padding and diamantes on the noseband and browband, and then he has a blue suede western saddle. :D

Think we'd win best turned out? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
newrider.com