Spoiled kids!! Your experiences please :-)

I think unfortunately kids don't seem to understand the value of money these days (and I will include myself in that statement - I am rubbish with money!), they see people driving round in huge Range Rovers, everybody has a show house for a home, all their friends coming in with designer labels...and they don't understand that some people can afford that, and some can't. They don't understand that people are getting themselves (and their country) in a lot of trouble by living beyound their means, and that probably these folks with their fancy cars (again, me included) have got them on credit. Kids just see what the others have, and want it.

Totally agree with this.Young people want the "celebrity lifestyle" and expect their parents to fund it.They have no idea about grafting for something they want & just expect it on a plate.Apparently the world owes them a living.

When I was at school we didn't have proms but if we did then my parents would have expected me to at least pay something towards a dress/shoes etc.

I think it's up to parents how much they spoil their kids and if they later have to face the consquences then so be it. If they don't have the strength to say no, then that is their problem IMO!

My parents were pretty hard-up financially, so my sister and I didn't bother asking for stuff as kids because we knew we wouldn't get it. I found it hard enough asking them to spend money on things I needed (eg. money for school trips), let alone expecting them to give me money for non-essential things like clothes and MP3 players. We didn't have an allowance/pocket money - we both had Saturday jobs from the age of 13. As teenagers we both paid for ALL non-essential things ourselves.

You sound like you had a similar childhood as me Joosie. Only difference being I did get pocket money but I had chores to do (washing up/mowing the lawn & picking up my brother & sister on the way home from school & then making 5 people their dinner).That prob sounds like a lot to cope with as a 13 year old but I managed & I think these tasks gave me a sense of responsibility ,a lot of young people lack responsibility these days.

Sorry for going off topic a bit..

And me. Dad had 3 jobs and mum left the house for work at 7.30am and got home again at 6.30pm. That's why hubby and I are lucky that we comfortably get by on his wage so that Esme always has a parent on hand.

Wouldn't have made any difference if they had had a "prom" when I left school (they didn't - I am too old as they hadn't been invented in England back then, only at posh Rodean type schools!lol) my mum would either have made me a frock or I'd have trawled the second-hand shops.
Never had many garbs as a teenager - only ones I had were either home-made or pass downs from elder sisters. I didn't know any different!! There were plenty of trendy girls at school, who used to take the mick out of me, but hey, sticks and stones and all that............

My mum and dad paid for my prom dress at £120 on the premise that I saved my pocket money for my part of the limo and to have my hair/makeup done - which i did and I considered myself to be spoilt!!
I think kids do expect too much these days and have disregard for money.

Two weeks ago I took my little cousin shopping and he was going crazy over wanting a Ben10 colouring book for £8 (hes 6years old) and after a real performance and me sticking to my guns that it was a 'no' (£8 is expensive for a colouring book!!) I asked him how long he thought I had to work for to have the money to afford it - he guessed at 'five minutes or something'. Of course he had no idea but it really puts things into perspective.

I have worked since I was 14 for my own money and I was taught to save for nice things. Otherwise if my parents bought me things it was a game of gi e and take. not just give, give, give...

I asked him how long he thought I had to work for to have the money to afford it - he guessed at 'five minutes or something'. Of course he had no idea but it really puts things into perspective.

That strikes me as a sensible way to think about my own spending. Although it makes the necessityof filling the car with diesel seem a whole lot scarier!

Thank GOODNESS we didn't have so much as a leaving assembly, disco or anything when I left school!! That's all I can say!! :eek: What a horrendous waste of money - IMHO!

I had ball gowns, for my 'old life' where I attended banquets and balls in the company of barristers, judges, etc. My most expensive was £500 - my cheapest £100. But they were worn again and again, with some 'altering' - and I was 25 and working hard. ;)

newrider.com