Suspensory ligament injury and low grade lami

Trot up day today, she looked pretty OK in the field on the straight and a small circle and good on the straight on the road but on a circle (very quiet cul-de-sac) she's still lame :( less so, but still lame. So back on the bute twice a day for another week I think (will chat to our vet tomorrow) and see how she looks next week.

Oh boo hiss. Sorry things aren't just spot on yet. Lots of vibes - it can be a long road with the suspensory.

Reactions: Jessey
Catching up on everything on here. Sorry to hear about this Jessey and hoping that another week of the bute sees more improvement.
Naughty Hank though!

Some very bad video's, trying to do it alone is a pain, none from on the straight as she got a bit over excited and legs went in all directions :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCyS2AowBOk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYgHGPXkNwY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1TUFA4uG2M

The lameness is left fore, but because of where it is it shows up worse on the right rein. Sadly I didn't get a video at the initial work up to compare.

She's on herbal calmer which does stop her from charging about the field for fun, but she does seem to be fighting it once I bring her out of her paddock, which is making her a bit more unpredictable than usual to handle.

I think I am going to have to rethink the penning situation, this morning at 6.30 I found all 3 not where they had been left :( fence wire intact, broken wooden post though. It was a post in Jess' paddock away from the boys so they can't be blamed for a change, Jess doesn't touch electric fence, so I suspect she was itching on the top of the post and it was an escape of opportunity rather than desperation, it probably took her hours to decide to step over the downed wires.
56742652_10157122322957246_3910081107508330496_o.jpg

I think I am going to have to rethink the penning situation, this morning at 6.30 I found all 3 not where they had been left :( fence wire intact, broken wooden post though. It was a post in Jess' paddock away from the boys so they can't be blamed for a change, Jess doesn't touch electric fence, so I suspect she was itching on the top of the post and it was an escape of opportunity rather than desperation, it probably took her hours to decide to step over the downed wires.
View attachment 97800

Oh heck - This is all so familiar:(We had the same at the old house - Storm wouldn't try and barge the electric but if it had been itched on by Chloe then that was the result - not good when you are trying to keep them in a smaller space for recovery. Lots of vibes. I sometimes wonder if you can ever cover all the possibilities. I know we had our fair share of things happen and after a while I had a strong desire to bubble wrap her and keep her inside for a month!:rolleyes:

Last night I went with a bunch more electric fence posts to 'reinforce' the fences, wandering around popping them in gets Jess' attention because clearly that means I will let her out :rolleyes: when I didn't, another temper tantrum, bucking and flailing her self around :( This is getting ridiculous now, the harder I try to keep her quiet the more full of it she is getting :( So I think this weekend will be a trip to the wood yard and building her a solid corral hopefully then she will understand that she's in it and that it. I did discuss with the vet about moving her to a yard to properly box rest but as she gets a bit frantic in a stable my vet thought it would just cause as many problems. I need for her to settle, I probably have to go away with work again in the next week or two and I can't leave anyone else dealing with her and the boys escaping and her not taking care of herself.

• Sad
Reactions: mystiquemalaika
So sorry you're having to deal with all this Jessey. You really deserve a break.

I hope Jess settles soon for you and the boys dont cause more problems that you need.

I am celebrating one and a half days of calm! no escapes, no outbursts :) Touches wood and makes virgin sacrifice just in case I've jinxed it!
Pleased to hear that, not the Virgin sacrifice bit :eek: can't imagine the virgin will be too happy :p but pleased they seem to be behaving, not as pleased as you though I'm sure!

I spoke too soon, all 3 are on the naughty step :mad:
Yesterday I found Dan in with Jess, but all was quiet and no fence down. Put Dan back with hank, 5 minutes later hank is running Dan about, Dan is placing some meaningful kicks, then Jess starts, ice packs from in her boot flying in all directions, she is never going to heal at this rate :(
Spend nearly 3 hours swapping out the older electric fencing for newer stuff and making 3 paddocks to put them all in isolation, powered up and went home.
This morning, Hank is in with Dan :mad: fence trashed, posts bent and broken. Split them again, will see how it looks later but they are fast using up their 'it's a pony thing free passes'.

Oh hell, I don't know what to suggest :(With Storm's first injury it was Chloe that caused bother keep escaping into forbidden pasture and of course that got madam's dander up and she would get all upset and hurt herself trying either to get in with Chloe or work out how to step over the broken fencing:(Either way it happened so many times and no matter what eventualities I tried to cover - the minute my back was turned something would happen. Would you believe something even gave her a set back in the arena at the old place? Some idiots came down when we were selling up - making a load of noise and because she wasn't expecting them (plus a bloody annoying dog) she got really upset and gave herself another set back. Sorry for the long waffle there, just wanted to empathise. I really can only say if Jess is food minded then to give her maybe the best choicest pieces of paddock? Then she doesn't care if the others are having a hooly? But of course that won't stop those two rogues from mithering her. What is with them right now??? I guess the only thing you could guarantee to prevent them getting in with her is proper post and rail?

Thanks @Trewsers, good to know we're not alone :)
It's difficult, with the move looming, putting in much now in terms of fences etc. is a difficult one. She's on the last of last years grass already, the rest is in desperate need of time to recover and I darent let her on new shoots. I've dragged out a tub to let her have a treat ball in, but I'm a bit nervous the rattling of grub might entice the boys her way again, she does have adlib hay already. I've spoken to a friend this morning and going to borrow a stronger energiser. If they get out again I'll make their paddocks smaller and double up the number of strands, I just don't really want them stuck in tiny pens.
When I move I will build a maximum security wing, stock fence or the like so that anyone with any grand plans can be contained!

Hope they settle down soon, and dont cause too much destruction.
Have you considered high tensile electric fencing. That's what I've got. Horses and cattle are pretty respectful of it.

Hope they settle down soon, and dont cause too much destruction.
Have you considered high tensile electric fencing. That's what I've got. Horses and cattle are pretty respectful of it.
I have a reel of the stranded wire but darent use it near jess as putting legs through fences is not uncommon with Mrs kicky squealy!

They had stayed where put last night, and hank acted like he'd perhaps had a good zap off the fence, so I'm crossing everything it's nipped in the bud now. Shame if they all have to be in isolation for the duration of Jess being laid up, it could be months.

Reactions: lauren123
I'm only getting her out once a week to look properly, on Sunday she was less lame but pottery on her feet, today she trotted a tiny bit in her pen and looked bad again :( praying it was just the ground but I think that's wishful thinking.

The video from last weekend, the vet replied to my email this morning and agreed the suspensory looking better but concerned about the sore feet
The difference booted
The vet said we can do another workup like we did in 2015 but she's not sure it will give much more info now, that we could try steroids (which I'm really against for Jess) or bute her and stick to gentle straight line work assuming this foot problem is a degenerative problem. Not what I was hoping to hear. I just don't understand why she's been so OK for 2 years and gone down hill so fast (sore feet wise) if it is the same permanent/degenerative problem.
So back to the drawing board because I'm not prepared to bute and ignore it, I've just messaged a farrier friend to come and see what he thinks, if I should be pushing the vet for more or if shoeing will help.

Oh pants Jessey that isn't good news is it. It's so difficult isn't it, especially when last time you had every test under the sun and still couldn't get a definitive answer, my thoughts re shoeing, if it helps her stay sound is it so bad? I love that Belle is barefoot again and this time around she's doing really well, but I would absolutely go back to shoes if she wasn't comfortable, you've tried everything else and she is in just about as good a set up for her feet as any horse could be. Whatever you decide is your next course of action I hope you can get her sorted x

newrider.com