Suspensory ligament injury and low grade lami

Oh pants Jessey that isn't good news is it. It's so difficult isn't it, especially when last time you had every test under the sun and still couldn't get a definitive answer, my thoughts re shoeing, if it helps her stay sound is it so bad? I love that Belle is barefoot again and this time around she's doing really well, but I would absolutely go back to shoes if she wasn't comfortable, you've tried everything else and she is in just about as good a set up for her feet as any horse could be. Whatever you decide is your next course of action I hope you can get her sorted x
Yeah I'm happy to try shoes again, I'm not anti-shoes just pro not using them if not needed, last time we tried 4 different types but she gradually got worse in them all, perhaps we'll have more luck this time.

Ah bugger, sorry to read this. She looks so well too.

Forgive the stupid question, but I don't have much experience of diagnosing lameness. Is she not tracking up because her hinds are sore as well, or is it just because she wouldn't track up anyway on such a small circle?

Have you thought about putting her on Prascend again? I know you weren't convinced it was that that made the difference last time, but it might be worth a try? Just a thought. We increased Raf's dosage to try and get on top of this skin infection, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Reactions: Jessey
Ah bugger, sorry to read this. She looks so well too.

Forgive the stupid question, but I don't have much experience of diagnosing lameness. Is she not tracking up because her hinds are sore as well, or is it just because she wouldn't track up anyway on such a small circle?

Have you thought about putting her on Prascend again? I know you weren't convinced it was that that made the difference last time, but it might be worth a try? Just a thought. We increased Raf's dosage to try and get on top of this skin infection, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.
It's just a very small circle and she didn't want to move forward.
I've actually given her some prascend this morning, I've got it and it won't hurt but hopefully it will put my mind at rest.

Farrier has been, said everything looks pretty good but got a reaction on testers at the toe, didn't want to shoe her as was concerned banging nails in would do more harm than good so she's staying in her boots for now and we'll reassess in a week.

Reactions: Bodshi
Vet coming at 3.15 today for a check on the suspensory and I'm having her pull more bloods to do the more detailed check for ems or diabetes, we've got to figure out what is triggering the sore feet because even totally off grass and on reduced hay and feed (she literally gets 1 cup of speedibeet for supps and meds) she's not improved in the last 2 weeks, hasn't deteriorated any more either but still.

No scan done, vet is happy it feels better and is non reactive to palpation and she isn't showing lame on it, she is still pottery on both fronts (equally) but with boots and pads isn't, so we have the go ahead to begin straight line walking in the boots. Bloods taken and should have the first lot of results in the morning

No scan done, vet is happy it feels better and is non reactive to palpation and she isn't showing lame on it, she is still pottery on both fronts (equally) but with boots and pads isn't, so we have the go ahead to begin straight line walking in the boots. Bloods taken and should have the first lot of results in the morning

That sounds grand with the suspensory, like it's healing well, if the vet was happy. Hurrah very pleased for you. Hopefully the pottery thing will get sorted - or you'll know why? From the bloods I mean.

Hopefully but in normal Jess style-ee it probably won't tell us much, I'll have the insulin and glucose results tomorrow, from that we'll decide if we send out the adiponectin or test for something else (she took an extra couple of vials of blood so we can if we need to). She did seem less pottery (without boots) today than she was on Sunday. We did talk about it could have been the sudden ceasing of work at the end of Feb that just allowed her to tip into lgl.

Just caught up. So sorry to hear she is now sore on her feet but good news re the suspensory.
I was thinking that the lack of movement and work could be contributing to her footiness. You had gotten her going so well before the suspensory to her then not being able to have her normal movement and is it a chance of lgl from stress possibly? Just with her being in the small corral and the boys not always being as helpful as they could be?
I hope the bloods either give you some clues or the start of straight lines and some movement helps her.

Even my vet laughed at the results being exactly as I predicted, useless, her insulin and glucose levels are on the low end of normal, def no EMS or if she does its being very well diet controlled. Decided not to test adiponectin as the I & G is so well within normal. She offered we could do a glucose challenge test to check her insulin reaction but After chatting about it I've decided not to do any more testing, the vet thinks it could be a combo of smaller things that when the stars align we have the problem and basically testing isn't going to change treatment so I'm just going to keep managing her as I have been unless it becomes unmanageable.

I took her out for her first walk yesterday morning and she was ears pricked, storming along the whole time :) and no worse for wear afterwards. I'm really hoping increasing exercise will tip the feet back into being fine.

Glad she's feeling ok in herself and good news about the suspensory. Fingers crossed she's heading in the right direction again.

I could barely keep up with her walk yesterday, I think it's fair to say she's happy to be doing a little bit of something again :)

I've been racking my brains over the sore feet and consulted with Dr Ellenor Kellon again and she has suggested it could be my hay, not that it's nutritionally rich or sugary but that it could be endophyte infected as it is fescue hay and that can cause sore feet in 1.5% of horses. I was due delivery of another months worth today so I've cancelled that, but finding a supplier of non dusty, non rye, non fescue hay this time of year is going to be a bloody nightmare, especially over a Bank Holiday weekend!

I could barely keep up with her walk yesterday, I think it's fair to say she's happy to be doing a little bit of something again :)

I've been racking my brains over the sore feet and consulted with Dr Ellenor Kellon again and she has suggested it could be my hay, not that it's nutritionally rich or sugary but that it could be endophyte infected as it is fescue hay and that can cause sore feet in 1.5% of horses. I was due delivery of another months worth today so I've cancelled that, but finding a supplier of non dusty, non rye, non fescue hay this time of year is going to be a bloody nightmare, especially over a Bank Holiday weekend!

This is another "I wish you were near me" answers! I have twelve bales of hay sitting in the Pig barn that nobody likes! Nothing at all wrong with it, not dusty but just not tasty either! At a pinch Zi will nibble but the girls just ignore it. You would be welcome to try it. It is meadow hay (that's what I was told). I don't think for a minute it is calorific either. I sold some to my neighbour because she has two good doers. Oh well, I hope you get something for Jessey - something that won't make her sore. She is lucky you care so much and find out the causes / reasons for her soreness. A lot of people just dismiss that kind of thing.

I've been hand walking her 10-15 minutes a day and so far so good with the suspensory, no return of swelling or heat so last night I just popped on bareback for the last 5 minutes and she didn't feel great behind :( tonight pulses in hinds are up (not bounding but up) and warm feet so I popped hoof testers on and she's sensitive in the toes so no walk tonight. This new hay can't get here soon enough but I don't hold out much hope it will be the thing.
I've put Dan back in with Hank so have extended her into the paddock Dan already ate all of the scraps from (it's part of the track so barely a scrap of grass to start with) so she can waddle about, and I think I'm going to retry the Prascend again, hopefully the oedema doesn't return. I'm at a loss really for anything else to try.

newrider.com