The Lottie Diaries

Did you get out hunting?
Mine is a 'dark horse' apparently. She has the world's slowest laziest walk, but up the pace and she keeps up with a 17.2hh.
Though I reckon you would be in the distance. :D

In your photos she's looks humungous to me:D A humungous cutie :p

She's just 15hh with shoes on, rug is 6ft to put into perspective and she fits in 5ft9. I'm 5ft3 and take up all her body with hunting length stirrups. She's very small for the job she does, she gets looked down on until the first few lines then she gains peoples respect. Very cute though, it's her eyes and ears. Could never tell her off, she'd be so offended.

Last edited:
Reactions: orbvalley
Did you get out hunting?
Mine is a 'dark horse' apparently. She has the world's slowest laziest walk, but up the pace and she keeps up with a 17.2hh.
Though I reckon you would be in the distance. :D

Yeah, I am now officially shattered I've had a virus the past week and have been really struggling, feel like my whole body is aching now. Getting her sorted for the night seemed to take forever, but I like to really check her legs over and wash in hibiscrub incase of any little cuts so it takes ages! It was so so busy with a lot of people out who aren't normally out so a bit chaotic. She was totally amazing though, really looked after to me today, I nearly fell off at the last hedge (big drop) and she went back into trot until I got my stirrups back and chucked her neck up.

Why use it if you don't have to, these chunky types have more go and length of stride than they're given credit for!

Last edited:
Reactions: Trewsers
Yeah, I am now officially shattered I've had a virus the past week and have been really struggling, feel like my whole body is aching now. Getting her sorted for the night seemed to take forever, but I like to really check her legs over and wash in hibiscrub incase of any little cuts so it takes ages! It was so so busy with a lot of people out who aren't normally out so a bit chaotic. She was totally amazing though, really looked after to me today, I nearly fell off at the last hedge (big drop) and she went back into trot until I got my stirrups back and chucked her neck up.

Why use it if you don't have to, these chunky types have more go and length of stride than they given credit for!

Wow you've earned a nice early night and warm bath missus!!!

Reactions: Lissie
Wow you've earned a nice early night and warm bath missus!!!

Had a shower now I'm scoffing as hardly eaten all day. It's all the aftercare when you're tired that's the worse. How people tack clean on the same day I'll never know, I'm exhausted.

Last edited:
I only wipe over my tack every hack. The roads are filthy or I am just a messy moo.

Roads are filthy round here too, I'll admit I didn't clean from last weeks hunt to yesterday :oops: the mud seemed to drop off on it' own after a few rides. Normally it gets cleaned twice a week though once before hunting and then after.

Is just a habit of mine. My mount is filthy so clean tack detracts from it. :D
Leather girths show the dirt worse.

OMG tack cleaning is the bane of my life after hunting - got to wash numnah and girth sleeve anyway because of sweat, but the tack itself is so muddy I couldn't ride in it again if I didn't clean it first. Jacket had to go for dry cleaning after last time too - sponging just wouldn't cut it. Trouble is if I pull Raf out to the side to avoid getting spattered by the horse in front he thinks we're racing, including with the field master's horse :eek: Bad move :oops:

@Bodshi can so relate! It gets so muddy doesn't it! Lottie is just that height that gets caked too, if she was a hand bigger it wouldn't be so bad. My jacket is currently hanging in the back of the jeep because I can't face cleaning it yet o_O haha yeah I have that problem and because she has done a fair bit of field mastering she thinks she should be up front :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Brown tweed shows it less, but not really accepted is it? I used tweed as oppose to black is all I had.

Brown tweed shows it less, but not really accepted is it? I used tweed as oppose to black is all I had.

Black or navy is technically correct for ladies but you can wear tweed all year round if you want. People who don't come out that much often wear tweed, just can't wear a white stock but a tie or coloured stock with tweed. Defo wouldn't be looked down on. Tend not to be as warm as a navy or black wool hunt coat though. Mine really does keep the chill out.

Reactions: orbvalley
We went to a farm ride today I forgot to swap her back into a grackle and she had the softest bit I ride her in and oh my gosh did I know about it, today was a day where she'd scare a lot of people, she's not naughty but very very forwards and strong.

We had full on turbo Lottie. Took me a few hundred yards after each jump to stop, all good fun though :p no photos of her jumping as she lead the whole way.
I do love her even when she's crazy :D:p
IMG_20171229_160855_302.jpg
Just living up to her notorious reputation.
IMG_20171229_162304_123.jpg

This is Lottie hacking back to the trailer after 5.5 miles of mainly cantering, galloping and jumping. And she's still marching away. I've ridden lots of different types of horses, lots of forward going ones but nothing ever quite like her, she really is one of a kind :rolleyes:

Oh and please excuse my sniffing I've had a dreadful cold the last week.

This is Lottie hacking back to the trailer after 5.5 miles of mainly cantering, galloping and jumping. And she's still marching away. I've ridden lots of different types of horses, lots of forward going ones but nothing ever quite like her, she really is one of a kind :rolleyes:

Oh and please excuse my sniffing I've had a dreadful cold the last week.

Wow she really is full of beans! I think she would definitely be too much for a lot of people, but for someone like yourself she seems perfect. Those hooves were properly power walking on that vid!!!

@Trewsers yes she defo needs the right one on one home. Can you sort of see why she only lasted 2 weeks in one place? She walks like that everywhere, you should see the trot, she's not normal lol. Yeah she's never felt like too much for me I just find her funny! On the ground she's totally different happy to plod along beside me never ever pulls or tries to walk ahead, she's really quiet and easy.

@Jane&Ziggy she's got a huge stride especially considering the size of her, she really uses herself. If she didn't walk like this I'd think something must be wrong with her.

newrider.com