Thought this might make you all feel better..

Tina, I grew up in Toronto but now live in Thunder Bay - Toronto doesn't get this cold (in fact, the headlines for the papers there are warning of a big freeze - temps around -10). Folks up here would switch into their spring jackets!!

Warning to all environmentalists out there - don't read further ......

in this weather, I start my car up half an hour before I have to leave for work and let it run and it's still not "warm" but at least the seats don't feel like you're sitting on a concrete block. It's weather like this that makes me wish I'd paid for heated seats in my car.

I have a cousin who used to live in Thunder Bay and another who lives in the Yukon. They told many a tale of extreme temperatures. I only ever visited in the summer!

How does Rusty cope? Is he outside or indoors tucked up? :unsure:

I'm pretty sure YO will keep them in today - but maybe not, it's quite sunny out. He does have quite an array of rugs to wear and plenty of hay and water. By the look of him and complete lack of movement (downwards) on the weight tape, he's not suffering at all! Perhaps I should spend more time outside myself - might shiver off a few pounds!!

I have a cousin who used to live in Thunder Bay and another who lives in the Yukon. They told many a tale of extreme temperatures. I only ever visited in the summer!

Yes, summer's definitely the time to visit. Unless you're a big fan of snowmobiling (I am NOT).

I was thinking about you yesterday actually Tbay, I was going to start a thread to ask you how your weather is and how you manage your horses in the cold.

Do most horse go out with or without rugs if they go out?

How do you cope with freezing taps and water?

Snow balling feet?

Riding...?

Do any horses live out?

Sorry for all the questions, just interested..:smile:

ps, Hope Mr Tbay is ok and the op goes well.

Last edited:
Sadly, since this weather isn't unusual - it's work every day. Except I'm home today because OH has to go into the hospital later this morning for a minor (I hope) operation and I'm on here killing time so I don't have to think about it.

HOpe he is okay and it went well.

Hope you OH is OK after his op.

My ex husband was Canadian (sorry is) he went back to live there when we split up he use to send me pictures of the lake he worked at that was frozen the lake was bigger than most of our county's :bounce:

OMG, hope Mr T is ok and shall stop moaning about my scarey drive home I think!!!

I was thinking about you yesterday actually Tbay, I was going to start a thread to ask you how your weather is and how you manage your horses in the cold.

Do most horse go out with or without rugs if they go out? Depends if they're clipped for showing (then rugs a must obviously), Rusty wears a medium weight most days but lots are unrugged and none the worse for wear.
How do you cope with freezing taps and water? Heated water lines are fairly common here (as you can imagine) but these temps are a real challenge. Outdoor troughs have those pop-in electric heaters that just sit at the bottom of the tub - does that make sense? Do you folks have that in the UK?Snow balling feet? Just have to pick out but I don't think you can ever prevent it completely.Riding...? I don't think anyone rides without an arena. I believe there's one heated indoor arena in our area but most aren't heated. So the wind is blocked but it's still too cold once it's below -25 or so.Do any horses live out? Some do - as long as they have shelter, doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm sure it's just a matter of being used to it. I think the massive amounts of rain some of you have to deal with - and the resulting mud - would be harder to deal with.
Sorry for all the questions, just interested..:smile:

ps, Hope Mr Tbay is ok and the op goes well.

Mr Tbay is home and feeling as well as can be expected. I can now add "can change a catheter" to my resume.

Hope you OH is OK after his op.

My ex husband was Canadian (sorry is) he went back to live there when we split up he use to send me pictures of the lake he worked at that was frozen the lake was bigger than most of our county's :bounce:

Do you remember what lake? I bet you're glad you split up and don't have to live here now that I've told you what the weather can be like :wink:

Thanks Tbay, for answering a million and 1 questions, those electric things in trough are a good idea but no we dont have them as far as I know, but will ask OH tonight as I want one:wink:

Hope Mr Tbay had a good night and that nurse tbay looked after his every whim:wink:

Thanks Tbay, for answering a million and 1 questions, those electric things in trough are a good idea but no we dont have them as far as I know, but will ask OH tonight as I want one:wink:

Hope Mr Tbay had a good night and that nurse tbay looked after his every whim:wink:

If you can't get those water things (don't know what the right name is) I can certainly get one here and send it over - but ask your OH about the voltage issue - I don't know if we can use things like hairdryers in UK without an adapter and vice versa.

Mr Tbay had a quiet night (still sleeping) and the nurse was a pretty young thing, so that helped!!

newrider.com