Too tall?

MrsHill11

Nov 6, 2017
Hi

I'm looking to get back into horse riding in the new year as I sold my horse in 2014 in preparation for having a baby. I have had horses since I was a child but dont want to just jump straight back in and buy another without having some riding lessons first, going down to a yard etc to brush up. The thing is, im a tall girl at 6ft2 and im not skinny (im not fat by all means) but my horse I owned was a 16.2 friesen x welsh cob and he was perfect for me in all ways. Im worried that riding schools wont have horses that are big enough for me, embarrassed that I will be laughed at, turned away etc. I would feel more confident approaching this if I was thin but this just isnt me!

Any advice or info on places in lincolnshire that would cater to me would be massively appreciated

I think you have to contact the local riding schools and explain that you are tall.
If it was me getting back into it I wouldn't mind having a well built cob for the first few rides. Maybe you need to find a riding school that does more advanced lessons/school master. They may have larger horses.

I would love a well built cob to ride! I dont have a preference on the type of horse I just hope somewhere has something that I can ride
xx

Most good schools will have horses big enough - don’t forget that they do also teach men to ride, so need the height-bearers. Tall folks can ride smaller, cobbier horses because they are wide and sturdy. My RI is over six foot and she rides a heavy cob just under 16hh, but because he is heavy, his barrel takes up her leg. Good luck, hope you have fun :)

Most riding schools have an upper weight limit stated sometimes on their website - especially those that cater mainly for child learners.
The answer is that not all riding schools are the same and adult learners need to find somewhere with the right horses and the right teacher too.
Weight limits usually reflect the horses available - not worth arguing about. But also dont take it personally. Riding schools that have adult clients and men riders will have larger horses. Some replies say it is easy in their area but it is by no means universal where we live.

You mention having had a Friesian -It could well be that, if you network through your County horse face book page, you might be able to find other people with Friesians - or even track down one that is in working livery and sometimes used for lessons.
It is not simple for adults to find the right riding school. And going for good lessons on the right horse may involve travelling further than one wants. I usually decide to go for 6 lessons. To get used to the horse and give some continuity, but not committing myself to a long journey long term. And it has always been worth it.
With your experience, it is not just the right horse but the right teacher you need. You wont be laughed at but you will find that every teacher has their own style of riding. And if you find the right size horse, you may find the teacher isnt ideal. It is my rule always to do as the current teacher tells me. There is no point in hiring a teacher only to argue. But the fact that you may be taught something different doesnt mean that your own way was wrong. Your plan to have a revision course seems excellent - and what is important is time back in the saddle.
I would add one thing - have you thought of sharing? Whereas riding schools dont always offer taller horses, in our area there are many taller horses still looking for sharers. I was offered a share over 17 hands and I notice that the taller horses advertised on line dont get takers. Some of them are older and presumably safe horses. It is the height that seems a problem but would be right for you.

My RS had 2 17.2hh horses that I used to ride, so its definitely worth asking what your local schools have

Thank you so much everyone for replying!13653227_1732849363639836_2743925088830718450_o.jpg

Skib - I think sharing before I buy another is definitely the best option for me and I will 100% look into this in the future. x

I will call round my local schools and see if there is anywhere that I could go, when I was younger my local riding school had loads of horses of all different sizes and shapes but it closed down. There are alot of schools that are near me but seem to cater to children only. I think I need to look abit further a field for well established schools that cater to all people. Above is me with my boy that I had. He was perfect. xx

Reactions: orbvalley
My OH is 6'4" and 88kg, he has ridden school horses before now, o he doesn't have the pick of a whole bunch of choices but they usually have at least one thats suitable ;)

Hi
thanks for replying Orbvalley and native lover - im in North Lincolnshire near Scunthorpe. I got a message from my local riding school today saying I need to be 14stone maximum, im over that so im not aloud to ride there. Great! Looks like im gonna have to go on a diet or just wait until I buy my own horse to ride again. :( xxxxxx

It's tricky isn't it - OH ended up buying his own horse to learn on because our local RS couldn't accommodate anyone of his weight (about 16 stone at the time). I hope you find somewhere that caters for adults.

Bodshi - thats me im about 16.5 stone but im 6ft2. Im very happy with my weight but looks like i will have to wait until my little one is in full time school and ive finished college/uni before i get to horse ride again :( xxx

Bodshi - thats me im about 16.5 stone but im 6ft2. Im very happy with my weight but looks like i will have to wait until my little one is in full time school and ive finished college/uni before i get to horse ride again :( xxx

My highland would carry you all day long :).... and they are so wide they take up the leg plenty of 6 ft plus males ride Highlands ....They carry 18-20 stone stags up and down mountains for 6+ hours a day.

Last edited:
This is what my friend found re the weight limit. It's about 14 stone in some places including the heavy horses and Clydesdale place we looked into. Their reasoning was that heavy horses are not weight carriers, they are bred to pull not carry. The back isn't any stronger than the next horse.

I don't know where men learn to ride or even a tall lady.
I am ten stone and my Irish Cob could carry another four stone easily enough and she is only 14hh. Not sure on much more though.

newforest - thank you for your reply, its very strange and rather off putting, I have ridden a 15.1hh maxi cob for most of my adult life but hes old now and he never had any issues carrying me, he used to jog happily along. Its upsetting really. Cant help being 6ft2 xxx

I cant promise a good outcome but in your position, I might take this a bit further. Most riding schools have a weight limit - and they sent you a message that it was 14 stone.
But it took no account of your fitness, height, bmi etc. Nor your riding experience and balance in the saddle. If you can write an email making your case and include a photo, or even go into the riding schools and chat with them.
If you cant find anything I would explore the possibility of a share. My very overweight daughter (and two adult males with her) when on a two hour trail ride in Iceland and she said no one questioned her weight. The Icelandic ponies were fine.

I'd do some research online to find the RS you fancy most. Then GO AND VISIT in person. As you're a tall person your weight may be perfectly reasonable, and you have a muscly frame. When you actually see you I wouldn't be surprised if they would be happy to find a mount for you.

Having been told you are 16.5st they may be imagining a very overweight woman. (They may not take your riding experience at face value as people do overstate their capabilities when trying to get a ride.) I do sympathise, but most riding places are only trying to protect their often hardworking animals from people who really are too heavy to ride.

Good luck. Turning up for a personal visit may make all the difference

Reactions: orbvalley
newrider.com