Trusting 'Vibes' ?

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Saw a pony today who behaved perfectly. He was calm, strode out nicely in walk, had a beautiful rhythmic trot a nice uphill canter. He needed quite a bit of leg to get into canter and dropped back into trot within a few strides of me switching off which is what I want for my novice girls. Rode out along a road and he was good in traffic. Owner assures me "you won't find a safer pony". But I felt really uncomfortable on him and I have no idea why. I just felt anxious. And now I am frustrated with myself because I don't understand why.

I get the impression he has been intensively schooled. Dropped into an outline immediately with me making no effort to achieve this. Is stable kept at the moment. He cribs. Maybe he is stressed despite being compliant and I am picking up on that??

Do you trust first impressions or have you found that first impressions have sometimes been dead wrong and a pony/horse has grown on you over time?

I'd always trust my gut instinct whether it's with people, horses, buildings etc. I've told myself not to be silly and ignored unsettled feelings in the past and inevitably I've regretted it. It may be that this pony is lovely, very well schooled etc and he never changes and is safe as houses for the rest of his life. However, if he cribs and you feel anxious/unsettled on him then I wouldn't risk him changing when he is not in such an intensive situation. There are horses I've ridden that have behaved impeccably but that I just couldn't make myself like riding, there was something almost 'dead' about them. Imagine you've bought him and he's arriving at the weekend - does that make you excited or does your heart sink?

I agree with that ^^, I think it is really important to go with your gut especially when looking for a child's pony. First impressions aren't always right of course - there have been horses I didn't like to begin with, that I ended up enjoying once I got to know them, and there have been horses I enjoyed for the first couple of rides and then started to find things I didn't like. However, even the horses that took time to grow on me didn't really give me what I'd describe as "bad vibes" - it was easy to identify what I didn't like, they were specific things rather than just a feeling. The general feeling of unease that you had about this one would be a big warning sign for me. Incidentally is this the first pony you've tried out since you decided against the fence-jumper? I wonder if you have got that in the back of your mind too. In any case the more beautifully schooled, responsive ponies are often not suited to novice children because they are used to being stimulated and challenged and having stuff to "think about". Novice children like to play around and practise things, but if those things come really easily to the pony it can get bored pretty quickly and start to act up or switch off. Mouse has had very little schooling and is not what I'd describe as "responsive" but I'd be more than happy to put a novice child on his back and trust him to look after them. He would have no problem spending half an hour doing canter transitions over and over again, while a very well-schooled pony used to doing more difficult stuff would tire of it in no time!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Yep I agree. Thanks for comments.
Yes Joosie its the first one since 'Bog Pony' but I don't think that's what made me anxious. I rode BP again a week after the fence jump and felt totally comfortable on her.

I have bought 2 horses on pure gut instinct and against logic and both were fab. So I am a big believer in 'vibes' but wondered what others thought.

This thread is making me reconsider Bog Pony because that was the opposite scenario: the pony did quite a big scary thing 'wrong' and yet I was in no doubt at the end of the viewing that I wanted to buy her and agreed the sale there and then. I got such a good vibe from her only changing my mind when others expressed doubts. She seemed a kind genuine pony and once you have that everything else can be sorted out......

I can see why you are reconsidering Bog Pony but you did mention that your daughter was nervous on the second viewing. Would you still be able to have this pony on trial? Maybe this would be a way of confirming or quieting your gut instinct..?

She was nervous at first and pony broke into a sort of half trot half canter in response to her gripping as the pony seemed unclear what was being asked for. But instead of that putting her off she kept her head and relaxed and then the pony was fine. By the end of the viewing she was saying please can we have her. It's me that said no.

It's weird that even after TWO mishaps: unwanted jumping and unwanted cantering- I still liked and trusted her. Doubts only came in later when I got home and told people about her.

I still think BP sounded too much for your daughters' level of riding TBH, but if you really do have a good feeling about her is there the option to have her on trial as Em1 suggested, to give her a thorough road-testing and see how she is in different situations? Or if a proper trial isn't possible, at the very least I would ask if you can try her out at a different venue e.g. ride her in the school at another yard, or box her somewhere strange for a hack. A lot of horses can be quite different when you take them somewhere unfamiliar, and in my mind a safe child's pony should be just as settled in a strange place as it is at home.
Also I am wondering if you have asked anyone whose opinion you trust/respect what they think of the ponies you have been to see? Of course I understand that you don't want to make your decision based entirely on other people's opinions / comments, but I do think that having other people's input can be valuable, a second pair of eyes at a viewing may have a different perspective to you or see things that you have missed. Could you do another viewing with a friend, RI etc to give you their perspective? Has your daughters' riding instructor seen BP in action or had any input?

Reactions: Mumbles
Very difficult for children's ponies. All the mums i know who want ponies for not experienced kids get them through pony club. They are all well known by DC who advises according to childs competence and confidence. Personally i think green on green as they say equals black and blue.

Reactions: squidsin
I may have figured out the problem with Bad Vibe Pony: Years ago I viewed a Section D. He was quiet on the ground but fidgety to get on then moved off into a fast walk. I felt anxious immediately but told myself not to be silly. I asked for trot and outwardly he seemed ok but the unease continued. Then I asked for canter and pony exploded into bucking frenzy: head between knees bucking the while length of the arena and chucked me off. In retrospect there were signs: owner wouldn't ride first as she 'had a bad back'. Pony seemed tense rather than forward.

Yesterday I was trying out a Section C who reminded me a bit of the Sec D. But yesterday the pony went well for the owner, was big in his movement rather than tense or rushed. And of course didn't chuck me off!! So I wonder whether the vibes were nothing to do with the pony but were to do with bad memories of a similar looking pony? And if so could I overcome my Welshie aversion?! I seem to recall saying I loved native breeds except welsh ponies in my original wish list so I seem rather biased against them which may be very unfair.

I always trust my gut feeling over anything now days, like Em 1 I've ignored it at my peril in the past, so now whatever my gut says from the start is where I go.
It may well be that you just don't like Welshies because of your previous experience but even if that's the case I'd still go with your gut.

I've done some online digging. The pony has been owned by a teen on another forum so I have a real-time and presumably genuine history from when they first got him to now. Pony clearly much loved and described as 'safe', 'gentle' 'brave', 'willing' etc. Plus history as given by seller on the phone checks out. No porky pies evident! I do think I was unconsciously remembering that nutty pony as I almost always disregard any Welsh pony on sight - without really even being aware that I screen them all out. I am going back next weekend to spend a bit longer there and see if I get a different feeling next time. I do believe in trusting instincts but as all the confidence threads show, sometimes fear is coming from us and not our horses. I was afraid of Thyme for a while after i had an accident with Charlie. I was just afraid of horses full-stop I think! So I would read all sorts of things into the slightest twitch and movement from her even though horses don't come gentler and more willing than Thyme. And I got over it! Plus the pony is not for me but for my kids. So an irrational fear of Welsh ponies is not really relevant to whether he is right for them.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
I think Welsh ponies can be temperamental. My friends saintly Welsh Sec D, who poor Tobes was always unfairly judged against was fab in 90% of ways.

But I have to say, there were a few rides where my temperamental Tobes was head and shoulders above hers!! I think Welshies are fine if they are fat and unfit. Certainly my friends Sec D once we got her fit was much more full on than the very quirky Tobes. On the flip side, Tobes if not in hard work is a nightmare and hers never is! So, once again, horses for courses!!

Welshies are welshies! I#'ve known so many of them & even the "hot" ones are a lot more show than they are action - call their bluff & they really aren't sure what to do about it lol. They're kind, genuine, gutsy & triers. If they're allowed to get away with it they can be bargy, and probably more than a lot of breeds they do need clear cut rules. Not really the best in the world for very nervous people, not because they're dangerous but because they will take control & do what they want. They're biggest fault, imo, is that a lot of them are painfully good doers.

I do think they're a wonderful breed, but if you aren't happy then it's maybe best for everyone if you don't go ahead. Your girls will take their lead from you & if you're uneasy that will rub off on them, plus you'll have to do a fair bit with him too. Look again, but if you aren't feeling happier then maybe he isn't for you.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I didn't get a vibe either way when I rode Roxy. I liked her but wasn't sure. Mainly as she is a small chestnut mare! Tried her 3 times (and got OBC's opinion) before buying. Glad I did. Our relationship has grown into a good onebut it has taken time, it wasn't immediate. Anyway I think the 'vibe' thing is more about the owner/seller than the horse. Horses won't lie to you. Someone trying to sell a dangerous horse will! With hindsight, my gut did warn me not to trust the seller of Poppy, my broncer, but the horse seemed sweet so I bought her. She was sweet but unsafe! Big mistake!

I think there's a big difference between not having a strong positive vibe about a horse & having a negative vibe.

Having said that I was very strongly drawn to Jim when I first saw him despite it being a chance meeting & him not being what I was looking for &, despite everything, I've never felt the same way about any other horse & don't think I ever will again. Little Un I liked, but it was just liked, & while he now means a lot to me there's nothing like the same emotion there.

It depends on what you're looking for, but I do believe a strong feeling either way shouldn't be ignored.

I of a good vibe from my lass.
I put my hand on her face and got a rush of goosebumps :)

Yes this pony is for your kids but I do recall you saying you will ride/school/exercise as well, so they need to suit you to?

Last edited:
newrider.com