what is your best ever rug for NOT rubbing shoulders

Slumberdown are good for wide shoulders. But if you get a Bossy's Bib, no rug ever rubs. A BB is my winter lifesaver. :)

I have a Dales mare, built like a tank with a leg at each corner. :D
Fal without a doubt, with weatherbeeta coming a close second.

Hmm. Jackson is obviously a very different shape from Oscar. The black Masta MW that came with him rubs him a little, I've not had it on him since the day after he arrived last Oct. The Fals don't rub, but he does look a bit swamped in them. The cheapy Saxon didn't rub but looked like he was wearing a mini-dress :D The MW Amigo fits perfectly (but is too hot for 98% of the year). So that's the vote of the Kilbarchan jury on rugs for tall, narrow shouldered horses ;)

I tend to stick with Rambos for mine. Works well on the TBs and the IDxTB, I'm lucky my 3 big ones are all the same size, so I tend to swap them around depending on which rugs have been trashed! I did get a WB shower rug that was a nice fit too.

Horseware Rhino are very good for my Light - Medium weight horse and they fit my sisters chunky cob too.
I think because of the V closure they tend to fit all shapes quite well.

My horse is not chunky at all but he has a Weatherbeets Aspen light which although it has never rubbed his hair off - I can see patches where it rubs on his shoulders when I first take it off. If it was worn for a long time I think it would rub. Not sure if the medium and heavy weights are the same.

Last edited:
This is great, keep it coming - it will be a useful resource for everyone! To add my 'reviews' so far Fal and masta fit best, but still rub a little at the traditional shoulder patch, so bald patches by the end of the winter, Weatherbeeta slip back and rub the worst. Will definately be getting a large variety of bibs, and a new lightweight of the winning manufacturer!

I got a Tesco Direct catalougue yesterday and there are rugs for sale in there!!!!!!!!!!! One says it has a nylon lining and promises absolutely no rubbing??

Weatherbeeta FREESTYLE are great. My boy is very wide chested and shoulders and neck. Didnt have a single rub patch last year.

Rambo, but I don't like the clips as I have found some of mine on more than one occasion clipped to the top wire of the fence!

saxon, yes a bit 'short' in places but at least no rubbing (and much cheapness!)
Tried shoulder rub savers but he gets too hot and itchy.... Generally put on a coat conditioner spray which helps too (not the mane and tail as too slippery!)

Rambo, but I don't like the clips as I have found some of mine on more than one occasion clipped to the top wire of the fence!

Oh god, good point - I was tempted by one of these, but my horse loves rubbing his neck and chest on the fence - this is the area he usually shreds first!

Definitely Weatherbeeta - I have them for all of my horses.

I have a couple of Masta's which have been resigned to back of the tackroom as they rubbed my horses shoulders bare!:eek:

newrider.com