What makes a yard 'Posh'

We've got post and rail and paths to the fields. I hadn't taken any notice to be honest. It is what is, we are we are, I am who I am. She only cares about the grass and the boys. :D

I know of an undeniably and unapologetically posh yard. It’s amazing!! The lady who owns it was showing me round and explaining that In all the years she’s had horses at various yards she took ideas and learned what things were needed for perfection, then luckily for her she’s absolutely loaded literally built perfection from scratch.

Oooh so post and rail is the gold standard of posh?! Hehehehee. I am posh (does little dance) Mr T does most of our fencing in post and rail. heheheee.
But does that only apply to horses?
The farmers all have post and rail here to keep the cows in.

Reactions: Trewsers
But does that only apply to horses?
The farmers all have post and rail here to keep the cows in.

Lol I don't know! Where we used to live, the farmer told me post and rail wouldn't keep his cows out lol He reckoned if I wanted to keep them off my land I'd need something electric too. Mostly here the cows have wood posts but with barbed wire and that wire stuff in squares.

I dont think post and rail is posh. Smart yes i'll grant you. Looks lovely when first done. These days though they dont use the wood preservers they use to so the fence doesnt last as long as it rots quicker.
Ive seen post and rail put up, and a week later its down. Spent months on the floor, got repaired and was down a few days later. Is still on the floor months later. Post and rail is only any good if its protected by an electric wire to stop the horses leaning or pushing on it.

I dont think post and rail is posh. Smart yes i'll grant you. Looks lovely when first done. These days though they dont use the wood preservers they use to so the fence doesnt last as long as it rots quicker.
Ive seen post and rail put up, and a week later its down. Spent months on the floor, got repaired and was down a few days later. Is still on the floor months later. Post and rail is only any good if its protected by an electric wire to stop the horses leaning or pushing on it.

Our post and rail at our old house was starting to look worn. Even the sheep could shove it over in places!

Reactions: Huggy
The post and rail between our summer fields is holding up quite well. Possibly due to the fact that Ramsey is not scoping it out for weaknesses! That pony's escapes make Hogan look like an amateur. It does look nice though, when it's new.

Reactions: Trewsers
We have post and rail at the paddocks up at the house - 18 year old post and rail - it is not a pretty sight lol! Perhaps I should view our status at the house as dignified but very much in gradual eccentric and poverty stricken decline 'poshness' :eek: :D:D

Reactions: Huggy
Now i couldnt give that carrot to my horse. Its too big. They have to have long slender ones.
They choke on the fat ones.

I have fat carrot phobia too! I cut lengthways into fingers / slender ones. Mind you, the two old biddies need them cutting again to be smaller. Zi is okay with long thin ones.

Sorry i changed the topic slightly. When chunky was at the yard a chap use to walk his dog everyday and give chunky some carrots. He always brought large thick ones and chunky had trouble eating them. His wife said they were always top of the shopping list every week.
The girl who comes and rides now also brings big ones, i cringe everytime i see them. Poor chunkys front tooth is so bent out now i reckon he'll break it or it will fall out trying to snap a carrot. Actually thats a good thought. It might be good to point it out to her and mum and ask them to only bring slim ones in future. Was thinking of a way of politely asking them not to buy big ones.

I never cut my carrots they have them whole in their feed. Peanut likes on our has no teeth so can’t break them down and she gets choke so I can’t cut them up either.

I buy a large bag off the farmers they have all sorts in some massive some tiny

I cringe when I see people chopping carrots into rings for horses, I don't know if it's a real risk but I was always told they're more likely to choke on them that way. Little Un likes big fat carrots, generally I'll hold one and he takes bites off it but if it's a massive one it goes on the floor and he grates it with his front teeth the same way he does a whole swede.

I cringe when I see people chopping carrots into rings for horses, I don't know if it's a real risk but I was always told they're more likely to choke on them that way. Little Un likes big fat carrots, generally I'll hold one and he takes bites off it but if it's a massive one it goes on the floor and he grates it with his front teeth the same way he does a whole swede.

I was always told never ever give rings of carrots and always cut length ways. I always love it when I buy the big sacks of carrots and there are lots of slim ones, perfect for just snapping in half and popping in their feed. Chloe has had choke in the past quite badly so am very wary.

Um i hadnt thought about rings being an issue. I must admit i ring mine if im adding any to food rather than leaving in large chunks. But they are ringed like we do for cooking so smallish. Maybe i will slice down the middle lengthways first.
I would have thought left in chunks would be more dangerous than small rings.

I know with cows ive heard of farmers feeding potatoes to there cows and when feeding whole and a certain size they can get stuck in the windpipe and choke.

newrider.com