When I said that I had bad luck....

misty

Oct 6, 2016
I really meant it. It's not like too many major things happen to me but my life just seems to be one 'oh no' moment after another.

To put this in perspective, we are getting our kitchen done. Came in last week to find it flooding - one of the new pipes wasn't secure. Had to call my friend in at 10:30pm to try and fix it. Then, I saw all bubbles coming from another pipe - the gas pipe. So now we had a gas leak AND a water leak! They turned the water off downstairs to fix it so we only had an upstairs tap. When I went upstairs to get water I found a massive wasp thing flying around the bathroom angrily so I had to run away because I'm petrified of them and it was HUGE more like a hornet than a wasp (we get them quite a bit and turns out from talking to people there's most likely a nest in the loft - wonderful). So then I had my friend for the water, plumber for the gas pipe and pest control all trying to come round.

Anyway ... so I've been looking for a horse. On and off for about 1 and a half to 2 years now. So far had a very highly strung part loan, a wonderful cob that I couldn't ride because of circumstances at the place he was kept, and an absolute nutcase that put me in hospital after 2 weeks of owning him. And shattered my confidence. Anyway, I told myself 'go back to riding school, get your confidence up and then, if you want, look again.' That was working fine until another riding school in the area shut down. I now can't get a lesson even once a week, my next lesson is 3 weeks time! I love the riding centre and they've helped loads with my confidence but how am I going to keep it up if I'm riding once every 3 weeks for half an hour?! I'm absolutely heart broken as I was finding 30 mins a week wasn't enough but 30 mins a month is miserable. So now no horse and can't even have riding lesson once a week. And just as my confidence was starting to come back a bit. I suppose I better look for somewhere else to do them but it's a shame as I've just got confident with that yard / riding instructors and knowing what the routines and things are...

I think there might be someone looking over me saying 'no you don't!' Haha.

Try not to worry about the wasp. If it is a wood wasp which are quite massive they do not sting. My mother tells me their pointy thingy is for boring wood. We used to have them at our old house, they are a bit big and scary the first time you see one, but don't tend to bother humans.
If you have a wasp nest in the loft the wasps will most likely just go about their business and not bother you at all. I only moved one from the front of my stables at our old house because it was right outside Storm's box and was likely to cause mischief. And they were coming and going a lot and getting annoying when I was there! I know they are not everyones thing and can be a nuisance because they sting but please try not to worry. It could also just have been one that flew in? Spring has most likely sprung and all that?
Sorry to hear about your kitchen problem and the water. Hopefully something and nothing, as you say most likely just a loose push fit connection. Lots of vibes it all gets sorted for you.
And don't be put off the horses!lol I think it's easy to get down hearted after an episode with a horse that injures you etc and knocks confidence. The right one will be out there!!!!

Reactions: misty
Thanks Trewsers. I think I need to stop obsessing over getting one and then one might come along. That being said, it would be a lot easier if I could have regular riding lessons. I love love love my riding school and instructor but there's just no way having 1 lesson every 3 weeks is going to be enough.

Reactions: Trewsers
It does depend though in how you view things. If you are thinking that you have bad luck then you will probably attract it in strange way.
You won't be the only one to have made a mistake in buying a horse. So don't feel bad about that. But move on.
I would search around for another school and book an hour though. Ours is good hour from here due the others closing down. Though those were actually trekking and didn't teach.
My friend has had issues finding one with her weight. So that's slowed things down lot.

Yeah haha. It was when I was at work the other day and we have a new member of staff. Someone said to them "if something goes wrong, it's usually got something to do with her (me)" talking about minor disasters haha. And I thought "You know what - you're right!" If I set my mind to something, there's about a 90% chance everything will happen to stop me doing it.

In terms of riding, I think I'll look about to have lessons elsewhere unfortunately. I'm trying a different tactic when looking for a horse. I think (tell me if you think this is silly) I might try emailing riding centres that have a good rep within a certain radius and ask if they're selling any horses. That means I could go get a few lessons. What I'm also finding at the moment is that there's always something with an advert and it's deciding how much of an issue things are. E.g. I found an amazing advert earlier. Only, the horse in question which had worked at 2 riding schools and was a 'kick along' 'does not respect fencing' and needs electric fencing only haha. I asked one of my horse friends if that would be an issue. Answer: "Yes!" haha.

I'm in the north east (middlesbrough area) and depending on circumstances/price etc would travel up to 100 miles (just thinking about the cost of transport etc). Xx

I would say your flood was pretty lucky because it showed up the gas leak, you could have gone to bed not knowing and never woken up :eek:
It does depend on how you see things :)

The horse hunt is often a long road, don't think buying from a riding school is a dead cert either, a riding school horse often works hard, gets tune ups from staff and often only work in the school, when you take them away from that they can be just as naughty as the next if they are that type, with a nervy owner who only rides for an hour 6 days a week and expects to hack out alone and suddenly the horse is no longer saintly and gets into mischief.

Reactions: misty and Trewsers
Four hours a day is classed as light work to them. I know a school that sells them if they cannot do that minimum anymore.

The most mine has done is three in one day.

This is true Jessey and at the time I did say this but sometimes my life does feel like 'a series of unfortunate events'. I do blame a lot of my nerves as a rider on the fact that if something is going I happen, it will haha. As I say never usually anything major, touch wood, just a kind of sliding scale of mishaps that seem to blur into each other. Xxx

noooo nooo dont buy a RS horse. The change to a private home and being ridden alone almost always ends in tears.

misty you sound like a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy if you dont mind me saying ;) Perhaps time to think more positive and realise these things happen to everyone but a lot of people just carry on through, it’s life and there are always phases when it’s one thing after another. Be glad that you aren’t dealing with some of the truly heartbreaking, life changing things some people are, including other members on here.

If I set my mind to something, there's about a 90% chance everything will happen to stop me doing it.

maybe some self help, NLP type life coaching might help you? Hell girl, grab life by the bo***** and say - nothing is gong to STOP me ;) :) !!

noooo nooo dont buy a RS horse. The change to a private home and being ridden alone almost always ends in tears.

misty you sound like a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy if you dont mind me saying ;) Perhaps time to think more positive and realise these things happen to everyone but a lot of people just carry on through, it’s life and there are always phases when it’s one thing after another. Be glad that you aren’t dealing with some of the truly heartbreaking, life changing things some people are, including other members on here.

maybe some self help, NLP type life coaching might help you? Hell girl, grab life by the bo***** and say - nothing is gong to STOP me ;) :) !!

I'm sorry to say I have also dealing with that. But not really wanting to talk about that side of things just now. But I am grateful for the people I've got around me and the life I have because not everyone is in as fortunate a position as me and I do realise that.

Perhaps some life coaching although have been in bereavement counselling for quite some time and that's helping with some feelings. I guess we all have our ups and downs in that sense.

As I say, rather than genuine bad things (which also happen) I was more referring to just generally unfortunate happenings. Leak / gas leak and wasps nest day was just a silly example.

I think at the moment I feel like, with a lot of things, it would be quite nice for the little things to go a bit smoothly and for once to think 'eeh didn't that work out well.' Which people are right may be a state of mind more than anything else.

Everyone's allowed a whinge and I think that is really bad luck! A gas leak, water leak and a possible hornets nest in one day, what are the chances!!

As for looking for a horse to buy have you considered getting something on loan with a view to buy? Or failing that I would stick with lessons at your great riding school but also have lessons at another school in between. Not ideal but at least riding more frequently and a mix of horses should help your confidence. Good luck!

Everyone's allowed a whinge and I think that is really bad luck! A gas leak, water leak and a possible hornets nest in one day, what are the chances!!

As for looking for a horse to buy have you considered getting something on loan with a view to buy? Or failing that I would stick with lessons at your great riding school but also have lessons at another school in between. Not ideal but at least riding more frequently and a mix of horses should help your confidence. Good luck!

Thanks Ale. Funnily enough I'd just messaged another riding school asking how late they do lessons. I think I was just having a whinge. Admittedly I am a bit whiney just now with one thing and another. I think a big part of it is getting a horse is the 'go out and live your life' thing that I've always wanted to do and always been too 'sensible' to dare in case I got a wrong one or a vet bill that was out of this world. I've always been too sensible for my own good and sometimes it takes something terrible to bring you crashing down to earth and realise there isn't really time for being worried about everything and if there's something you want to do and it's feasible then you should do it. The problem is, I think, this is me trying to do it and I get wound up because I'm not quite as brave as I'd like to be and not quite as good so going to riding school is supposed to help that but now I can't really do that easily either haha. I think I sort of feel like it's good because it's a measure of how much I want to do this and how much I care but at the same time, I do feel the need for a good whinge sometimes. Probably more often than I should, hand on heart.

Thanks for the reply xxx

I found horse described as boring but they are in Suffolk for £3000.
There are safe ones out there.

absolutely, of course you are entitled to a whinge and Im sorry to hear about your bereavement. It may be that that is causing your state of mind but its great you’re having counselling. Some positive NLP type things could really help Im sure, get you believing in yourself more and being more positive!

Keep looking for lessons - you might be surprised. I found out completely by accident that my local Riding for the disabled centre does able bodied lessons and had a couple there

I honestly believe that if you expect bad stuff to happen you get bad stuff, not helped by the fact that other people seem to reaffirm it, which helps to cement negative thoughts and self doubt in your mind.
I used to be terrible for believing I was useless/not clever enough/not good enough/not worthy of good things. I had at that time in my life a lot of people around me who re enforced those thoughts.
Needless to say I'm no longer like that, my life is very different now.
We all have s**t to deal with, it depends on lots of factors as to how we as individuals deal with it.
What I will say is if it matters to you then it matters, one of my dearest friends is coming out the other side of a horrible health scare, she almost died, another of my friends lost her job shes had for 28 yrs and was heartbroken but wouldn't talk to me about it because she felt it was 'nothing' compared to what our other friend was going through. Like I said if it matters to you then it's just as important, your feelings are no less hurt because someone else is having a tough time.
Please don't ever feel you can't have a whinge on here. You really should consider NLP, just to try and help you turn the way you look at things around a bit.
Good luck with the horse hunt and the lessons too.

I honestly believe that if you expect bad stuff to happen you get bad stuff, not helped by the fact that other people seem to reaffirm it, which helps to cement negative thoughts and self doubt in your mind.
I used to be terrible for believing I was useless/not clever enough/not good enough/not worthy of good things. I had at that time in my life a lot of people around me who re enforced those thoughts.
Needless to say I'm no longer like that, my life is very different now.
We all have s**t to deal with, it depends on lots of factors as to how we as individuals deal with it.
What I will say is if it matters to you then it matters, one of my dearest friends is coming out the other side of a horrible health scare, she almost died, another of my friends lost her job shes had for 28 yrs and was heartbroken but wouldn't talk to me about it because she felt it was 'nothing' compared to what our other friend was going through. Like I said if it matters to you then it's just as important, your feelings are no less hurt because someone else is having a tough time.
Please don't ever feel you can't have a whinge on here. You really should consider NLP, just to try and help you turn the way you look at things around a bit.
Good luck with the horse hunt and the lessons too.

Yes totally, never feel you can't share if you need or want to on here. Everyone has problems at some point in their life and each thing is just as important in it's own way. @Kite_Rider I can empathise with your friend who lost their job. When my business when t*ts up a few years ago it was hard to talk about it to certain people because they had life threatening illness to deal with - so I felt quite awful mentioning it. But it didn't change the face my life was turned upside down.

newrider.com