Your thoughts on the flash

I used a flash on my TbxHanovarian in the 1970s. I did have her checked over as I personally didn't like the idea - but she needed a martingale and also some way of helping me to control her and to stop her playing with and taking the bit. Even then, I thought about it but at the time it was the kindest 'gadget' for that purpose on the market. She was the kindest thing on 4 legs but she was very strong and, there's no way I'd resort to a strong bit -and - no I never did haul on her mouth. At the time I was working at riding stables and mainly taking hacks out on her which is why, possibly that she became strong. Anyway I did find it useful - but then, I knew how to use it. I've never used one since.

Shouldnt horse's teeth be checked every year though? Of course she is due but thats what i heard. 6-12 months usually?

if the horse has no problems, then YES a 12 monthly check up is absolutely fine. Mine get done every year when they get their vaccs. But if they've problems, then it's better for them to be seen 6 monthly.

Oh steady on Kaboo :confused: .

There's a bit of a difference between it "not being ideal" and being "painful and damaging to her health."
It may not be an ideal fit, but that doesn't mean that using it in the short-term will cause problems :) .

But "not ideal" doesn't mean "painful."

The shoes I'm wearing today aren't an "ideal" fit. But they're not causing any pain or even discomfort.
Ideally, they could do to be a bit narrower and with a slightly higher instep.

If I wore them to walk non-stop in for 7 days a week - for afew hours a day - for the next month, I'm almost certain I'd do myself some damage.
But as it is, I only wear them afew times a week, and I don't do any marathons in them.

I agree that an "un-ideal" saddle is a bad idea, but I don't see it as "sick" (as you put it) so long as she's not uncomfortable and it isn't used long-term.
Each to their own I suppose :) .

(Oh. . . and they're beaded, turquoise peep toes in case anyone's interested ;) )

Nosebands Go for a drop or grakle as they are much more comfy for the horse. Flashes are painful for the horse. Either buy the new nosebands or tell the new owners about the problem and what nosebands you would recommend. Saddle If it's not ideal, tell the new owners as then they can decide if they want to get a new saddle or not.

Oh thanks :rolleyes:. Jeez the saddle fits her ok, but it isnt an ideal fit - just slightly low on her withers.

She's fine. She probably wont be sold with the saddle although it depends if they want it.

I am quite aware about the saddle thank you, and if it was a huge problem i will not use it. I have another saddle for her, but i wont touch it because it is a horrid fit. This one is alot better, yet its not perfect.

On the teeth front.. I have Daffy's checked every time he sees a vet. If they need doing, they get done. I got the vet to actually do them this time rather than just checking them (due to wanting to know the cause of Daffy's stiffness), even if it was only one short rasp on each. It'd been 3 years since he last had them done, and he only had the beginnings of hooks anyway, and vet says he could've gone another 6 months.

I remember having Daffy in a drop (I prefer them to flashes) a few months ago, because he was taking hold of the bit and running on. Changing the bit (from a simple snaffle to a copper enriched eliptical link loose ring snaffle) solved the opening mouth problems, and then lessons and schooling have helped with the running on - he wasn't balanced.

If you have a saddlery local to you that allows you to try bits (or indeed see some nice ones on ebay) it might be worth a go. Obviously you don't want to spend a fortune, but if spending a tenner works, it could get you your sale. :)

UPDATE:

Well im glads to say she was rode Tuesday night and was much better, she was a lot looser due to being ridden the previous night so was a lot more relaxed and happier in her work. I didnt notice her opening her mouth as much at all.

I think she only opens it if she finds the work hard.

Kaboo - that reply seems a little over the top. The very fact that Jen knows it isnt an ideal fit shows that she has had it checked etc and is aware of it's problems and knows they arent causing Aramis any damage - many people dont have a clue and just stick any saddle on. Im ridiculously over the top about saddle fitting but my last horse's saddle wasnt an ideal fit simply because I couldnt FIND an ideal fit for him - even the one I had custom made wasnt right :rolleyes:. I dont think anyone should ride even once in a saddle that doesnt fit, but there is a difference between something which doesnt fit, and something which is not totally ideal. Also I imagine Jen will tell the new owners that the saddle isnt ideal and possibly it wont even be sold with Aramis (in fact I see she has already mentioned that). Aramis also isnt ridden very regularly; a light schooling session to keep her moving with a saddle that is very slightly low on the withers is very different to a horse who is expected to carry off a full workload with a saddle which is pinching or rubbing. Plus Jen is a twiglet as well so she's not going to be causing the saddle to push down anywhere!
My current saddle isnt an ideal fit. It slips backwards and is not balanced correctly. I will be having it changed soon, but since it is not causing any pain or discomfort I think it is important for my horse to keep riding in it - and I dont think Im sick for doing so ;). However, if it were pinching or was too tight or narrow, I would not even sit on it. If we're going to be picky then any saddle which slips - front, back, side to side - isnt an ideal fit. Any saddle which sits you in the wrong position isnt an ideal fit. Any saddle that you dont have changed between the seasons as your horse changes weight isnt an ideal fit. But how many people have the knowledge (and money) to correct those things? To suggest that they are 'sick' is a bit harsh - we all do the best for our horses with the time, money and knowledge that we have, shooting people down in flames isnt what Newrider is about - everyone here is here because they want advice, help or discussion.

xxx

Thre's no harm in trying a flash, fairly loosly done up. A flash, when correctly fitted, shouldn't be tight enought to stop them opening their mouth, only snug to discourage it. Try it and see. I'm sure you could beg, borrow or steal a flash noseband off someone.

As for Aramis's saddle. No it's not perfect but it's not caused any musclular changes in her back and her back isn't sore. It's not so much a bad fit for her, but a incorrect design and therefore the balance isn't right. In terms of panel contact and weight distribution, it's not bad. A thick numnah (i.e a prolite pad) would be a good temporary fix.

Flashes work for some and not others :)
as above try it and see.
As for the saddle, i think it is very important for it to fit 100%:)
x x x x

Sure, but you come look at Aramis sometime. She is a 'big' girl, not weight -wise particularly, but she is very broad and her shoulder blades come quite far back. That is why my saddle is straight cut because most saddles with a more forward cut interfered with her shoulder movement. She is also quite a wide fit.But she has reasonable sized withers. It took us weeks to find a saddle. Now you think of a saddle which would easily fit a pretty wide TB mare with a long back, big shoulders and normal-sized withers.

It aint easy, that saddle was the best we could find. Otherwise we would have had to search and search or even got one specially made. Well for one we didnt have a grand in our pockets - more like £400, and leaving her unworked for weeks on end wouldnt have done much good either.

newrider.com