Your thoughts on the flash

The way most people use flashes they dont even do anything anyway. The way most people use nosebands they dont do The fact that flashes are dressage legal shows that they arent a true 'quick fix'. My horse is in a flash at the moment because he came in one, now Im getting to know him I dont think he needs it and will take it off at some point, but to be honest it's so loose now it's mostly decoration and a defense in case he turns out to be a horse who opens his mouth and tanks off!

Jen - I have the exact same problem as you with my TB. I find he's best when ridden with no rein contact and no noseband, flashes dont make any difference and tend to aggravate him. Im going to try riding him in a parelli halter this week, I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Suggesting that anyone who uses a flash is using it to mask an underlying problem is not true - if you have it done tight enough to keep the mouth shut then you are, but using it correctly can have it's benefits. Do all the people who despise flashes also ride in snaffle bits with no nosebands? Because unless it's being used to hold the mouth shut to a certain extent, then nosebands are pretty useless too and may as well be taken off.

xxx

xxx

Last edited:
have you tried a drop noseband?
i use a flash on my 3 yo coz when he does not have a bridle on he hangs his toung out to the side. i worry that without a flash he would do his with the bridle on making dressege a big no no. he is perfectly happy with a flash and i cant see any prob with it.
def get teeth checked if she is opening her mouth that much.

Ive only read a few posts so sorry for any repetition.

Personally i do use a flash sometimes. But i wouldnt for no reason. And tbh i hate grakles. They are much more severe! So i dont use them at all... but i dont see a problem in someone using them if used by the right person for the right reason.

I never use a flash when schooling. If he leans etc its a problem with him going foward etc..not a simple 'strap his mouth up' solution.

BUT when hacking, i can tell when hes gunna be all high n mighty. And hes a hell of a big horse to take off with you. So he does sometimes get a flash for hacking. And it just means he doesnt get the chance to tank off.....but sometimes he seems all nuts and turns out all lovley so i take the flash off. And others i know he will be fine, coz he has to be dragged from the field lol.

Im always much lighter with my hands when using a flash though, as its obviously not the most comfortable thing to start with!

But i hate it when kids (yes some i know do need them) put on a flash coz 'it looks good' and then when i see them their horse looks fine...ok so what you see and what you get is different, but ive most often rode their horse and they have been agrivated, and when the flash is took off they are lovley.

And i wont get started with grakles....ive seen some accidents from incorrect use..

Interesting. Made me think about my 'journey'. CW turned up in a dutch gag (is that right??? the one where the reins go through the bit and over the poll to have more 'stop'). He had hunted for just one season and had moved from a snaffle when he first came over from Ireland to this harsh bit (and an enormous chest to boot.... obviously). That bit/rein situation ended immediately I bought him.

He had a flash for a few years... not tight, but enough to give me some leverage as evasion was his game! He bolted quite a lot as he saw 'white' and that was it... all came from previous back and hock problems but was still occassionally dangerous despite having the problems fixed (had a 'memory' of them)

For me, I needed it for the occasional situations but couldn't bear to make it too tight (doh).

He then moved onto no noseband at all.... great, until he bolted again a year later... back to 'help'.

He is now VERY well mannered (after 10 years) and hasn't had the flash for 4 years, but he does have two rubber side rings (name??) on the bit as his tendency is to muck around with the bit and at least if I am in a difficult situation, I know he won't cross his jaw and tank off... hmmm, maybe these should now come off... Like them as they are not uncomfortable for him as no bit joints come in contact with the sides of his mouth

Any thoughts on these rubber rings......? welcome to hear opinions.

oh and no, I don't like flashes unless it really is for a problem. A lot have the flash on as the horse 'came' in it. If it helps save you from serious injury, then yes.

Last edited:
Well, I don't mind flashes. I think everything is a tool, it just depends how you use the tool.

The youngster I am schooling right now has had some people clinging on for dear life, and failing. I haven't had many problems with him though. So we had a look at his mouth, and the fact that wasn't new was his huge tongue. Which he puts over the bit, then when the mood takes him, off you go! So I am changing him to a french link, and being stubborn. I won't put a flash on him until we see if it's just him wanting to bolt, and even if that proves right he will most likely have the french link on anyho, unless he reacts badly. :) (apparently why he was quite as bad with me is because my hands are too soft for the single joint to really bite or something!)

Think borrow. Know anyone with a large collection of bits? My yard has so many bits, bridles, old bridles with nice stuff on which aren't used, it's like a yard sale, and thats just the tack room. I could assure you we have a bit for almost any horse! Except shetlands. :) If your selling him try and find someone who loves you with a bit he goes better in, or even a flash strap/drop/ect., so you don't have to spend a load of money!

Long postie about nothing that hasn't been said!
Suzanne

newrider.com