A fresh start

Several canters on both reins today and it was great!! A little bit of me feels that I have been completely stupid about this whole thing and wonders why the hell I didn't just get on with it earlie. But, I guess I just wasn't ready for it. And now I am! Really hope this confidence high remains beyond this weekend and I can canter in the school again....and maybe even work on cantering on hacks.....will take mny time with that one though.

Wahooooooooooo!!!!!!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: I know exactly how much of a big deal this is so really really really well done!!!! While you're doing so well, could you just have a quick canter for me?!:giggle:

Quick update on the cantering. I am now making myself canter everytime I ride in the school. Sometimes I feel really confident and other times I'm all over the place. I think I'm now at the stage where I just need to keep doing it as much as possible until I'm fine most of the time. My friend at the stables has just bought a new 5 year old. He is very good but is a typically nappy baby and his canter is very unbalanced. So together we are practising our baby canters and I think it is really helping me as I'm also providing support to her...and it takes my mind off things a little.

This week we are going to try a canter on hack (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). This is where my fear started so it is going to be really hard. We were out last night and my friend suggested it but I didn't feell ready plus it was starting to go dark and they have just let out what seems like 1000's of pheshants so there were monsters behind ever bush ready to kill us.

We will go out earlier on Thursday but does anyone have any sound advice to help? I hope like in the school once I have done it it will get a whole lot easier but its just making myself do it for the first time :(

Hacking Update

Its been a while since I posted...I've been a bit crap lately really. Bob has had a sore back so had 3 weeks off. Then the weather has been so horrible and cold and dark that I've been really bad at doing something productive at the stables at night. We have a floodlit school but its still normally raining and blowing a gale and our new heater, a cup coffee and a chat in the tack room is SO much more tempting!

I think while Bob was getting better with his back some of the old confidence problems started to creep back in...one day when the physio came she asked to see his saddle on with no numnah to check its fit. It was only refitted in Sept so I was sure it was ok. So I popped it on and then she asked me to trot Bob up the yard....well he was not happy with this, reared up and then bronced all the way up the yard with me trying to out run him and not get run over! I was pretty worried about this and although the saddle fits well we couldn't work out what was wrong. He has been sore in his shoulder and behind the saddle, he was struggling going into canter but has never been bothered about me being on him..... So she suggested lunging him with and without the saddle and see how he got on. Did that and he's completely fine, no sign of any problems....what I think happened was I'd just gotten him in from the field, a couple of hours early, he doesn't get hay in the day and I had a massive net full of the fresh haylage that had been delivered that day = very happy horse. I think he was in a haylage dreamy haze stuffing his face and he didn't even notice me putting on the saddle. When I asked him trot he was like 'What the F**k is that!!!!" :hot: Bless him he's a little dim sometimes :giggle:

Anyway, he's back to being ridden but I think this incident and not having ridden for 3 weeks did sow some evil confidence melting seeds in my brain... I rode a few nights in the school, all ok, but was desperate to go for hack. Physio would prefer me to hack rather than going in circles but I can only do that at the weekends.

My hacking partner is also lame at the moment so last weekend I summoned up all my courage and got him ready to go out on my own. I've not done this in a long long long (long) time so pretty nervous. Then about to get on and realised he had lost a front shoe!!!! Bugger so had to just go into the school :frown: I was really annoyed.

This weekend I was determined again, shoe back on and I did it, off I went...even though the yard was slippery with half melted snow so couldn't get on at my usual place and had to take the mounting block out the gates. Bob was really fresh as he'd not been ridden in a week and he's never as good on his own. But in advance I'd resolved that if I felt unsafe or out of control I would just get off and walk him home. I also resolved that if he is jogging or spooking I had to make him trot through it. Too often in the past I have tried to make him walk and calm him down but it doesn't work.

So he launched himself out onto the estate road, full of beans..I made him trot straight away for the first 5 mins. Most of it sitting to try and tire him out a bit! The route I'd chosen that I'm comfortable with goes past his field, eek.. but his field mates were good and didn't gallop down to say hello (I would have gotten off if they had!) I made him trot past and he didn't bat an eyelid :smile:

All was fine, when we got to downhill bit we walked and he was really settled. Not as happy as with another horse, he always looks back alot and sometimes won't walk forward as well but its a confidence thing I think.

Because we were doing so well I decided to take a slightly longer route around the road. We've been this way plenty of times but its not the usual route. When we turned off the track he didn't nap but started neighing very loudly...I started singing ABBA very loudly to put him off and settle my nerves, apologies to any nearby house! We carried on well if a little more nervous. We even had a bit of a slip on the road, think roadrunner, all four legs scrambling about, I think on a patch of oil, but I was fine...I have this stupid thing that if Bob is nervous or worried or I have to look after him to give him confidence I feel incredibly strong and confident..go figure hey!

So all was good until we turned to head home and had to go past some fields of killer ninja sheep (he has a weird fascination with them and they get him really excited even though he used to be turned out with them) Then we get to the local farm, I went via the road rather than through the farm because they bring a couple of hundred bullocks in in the winter into sheds and they really freak Bob out. When you ride past they get all excited and gallop round their pen bellowing and snorting.... :unsure: So we were on the road but they must have been doing something with them because they were making a right racket. Bob planted himself, also snorting but I managed to get him to trot on and although he would only go sideways for 10 mins (I made him do trot shoulder-in, evil mummy!) I was ok. He was really hyped up and my heart did race a little but at no point did I feel unsafe and want to get off. It was a lovely sunny day and we had a great time.

I'm proud of myself and was on such a high all day Sat and Sun :biggrin: Although writing this has now started my mind working again, what could go wrong this weekend etc. Maybe next time he'll freak out completely and chuck me off.... Why do our brains do that!!!????? :furious: But I'm going to stay calm and try and do the same again on Saturday. Must repeat and repeat again and we will both get better..fingers crossed.

Been trying to get out as much as possible over Christmas with Bob, when I can actually ride in daylight :), and its been going well. I've been out with my hubby and dog a few times and then on Wednesday I resolved to go out on my own again. Halfway up the main estate road I then thought... why don't I go on the forest tracks for a bit...! Big deal for me and we did it!! Took a 20 min detour through the woods which is a really good step forward for me...I still have this stupid fear that as soon as his hooves touch grass he will bolt off with me.

Bob has been a star all Christmas, helped by the fact that his back is now 100% fixed I think and has been really looking after me. Next step is summoning up the courage for a canter but I think I'll start with lots of trotting on the tracks first.

Hears hoping that by the summer we might be able to get back up in the hills for a canter on open ground.....eek!

So, after doing really well all over Christmas. Bob and I had a very small canter yesterday on a hack! Literally 5 strides only but that still counts doesn't it? Today is my last day off before I'm back to work and after feeling confident from yesterday I'd planned on going out again and attempting another little canter. Weather however is against us gales and now pouring rain :( Quite disappointed really. I really wanted to build on our canter yesterday. Oh well onwards and upwards for 2012. I'm determined this is going to be our best year yet!

Am not sure how I missed this post - you are doing great. I am also not so keen on cantering on hacks. I have done, but kind of, if I can go a route where I don't have to, thats what I choose!

i too have no idea how i missed the updates on this thread!!!

I am soooooo pleased to read how you are now in control of your confidence! solo hacking and cantering, honestly that is AMAZING!!!!

just looked at the pics of the clinic, is Bob the skewbald?

Ah thanks! Yes we are doing ok. Our canter was only 5 strides but it felt really good. I'm not sure I'm every going to be happy cantering in open fields but hopefully I can conquer forest tracks (uphill only!) and I'll be happy with that. I'm just really happy the weather was so good over Christmas, we got no riding last year due to the snow, as I did lots of hacking. I work 9-5 so can only hack at weekends so getting out and about did wonders for us. Repetition is definitely very important.

Yes Bob is the big Skewbald!

Little update on cantering, since I last posted we've been out solo hacking on our own every weekend. I can't quite believe it to be honest and I'm not really sure what has come over me lately but hey if its working I'll keep on doing it!!

We were out this morning and over the past week I've been planning routes and the best places for cantering. I even took Zara (dog) out last week to walk some new tracks to find some new grassy canter stretches:0() So I set out this morning in the howling wind and rain feeling pretty miserable but not at all nervous! Thought Bob would be fresh but he felt knackered which surprised me but helped even more with my calmness. Anyway the long and short of it is that we had 5 (!!) small canters. Still uphill tracks only and definitely not in any fields but I'm so so happy with myself. The first 3 were a bit wobbly and slow and only for 5 or 6 strides, I think I must have been a little reluctant and he felt it, but the last two I really went for it! It felt so good and I even had a little whoop/punching the air to myself in celebration!

So happy. Got back to the yard and found out the possible reason for his relaxed state. There is a new horse who is a 5yr old 3 mile chaser here for some fitness work in the hills for a month and he was turned out with Bob yesterday, apparently he tried to keep up with him playing all day and was almost comatose with tiredness when he came in last night bless him!! My big ID x cannot keep up with a baby thoroughbred but he's trying his hardest :)

Of course as always, after the event I now start to worry.......I used to be scared of going out on my own and very happy with others, after going solo for the last while I am now dreading the next hack with my hacking buddy, maybe all the confidence will seep away...idiotic!. Plus what will happen when the grass comes through and he's fitter, will he want to tank off with me then? Why oh why do I do this to myself, its almost like I have to have something to worry about. RI says I must show him this year in some coloured classes, a few people have said how well he would do. I would really love to but just worry too much about how he will react at a show with all those horses and people about. Also a big grassy show ring is an awful lot like a big scary field and I just don't know if I'd be able to do my ridden show properly. Still its only January I suppose...

You will be fine, and you are doing really well and he will be fine hacking out with someone else as well.

I am very respectful - I CANNOT hack out alone - just hate it and don't want to! So have uber respect for anyone who does!

Thankyou sjp. I hope so, I guess its just baby steps a little at a time. I just depress myself sometimes always looking at the negatives and wondering what will happen next time.

I had to give myself a stern talking to last night. We had another good hack in the sunshine on Sunday with more canters and again I started to worry afterwards. So silly... I have conceded to concentrate on how far I have come not how far I have to go. If you had told me 6 months ago I'd be hacking on my own, calm and confident and cantering! I'd have taken it with both hands and not wanted anything else. My problems is I used to hunt, xc and do shows most weekends when I was a kid and I guess I have sniff of my old self and worry I won't get there.

Baby steps baby steps .... !

newrider.com