Jess' leg

Amber had mudfever and cellulitis a few weeks ago. My vet also said don't scrub - it's too harsh and can make things worse as it can make the skin so sore when the key to healing up and prevention is healthy skin. He said to use baby oil on the scabby areas for 3 days to soften scabs. After that to use warm water and a rubber curry comb and gently ease the scabs away with very dilute hibiscrub once a day. Then to dry the legs well with kitchen roll - no rubbing with towels. And he gave me steroid and antibiotic cream in an emollient base to use twice a day after day 3 over the top of any scabs that were still there and on the skin under scabs there the scabs had come away. She was fine within a week of the cream being started. I did keep her in for the first few days though so the area stayed clean and dry. It was a change from the advice I had before about the need to scrub scabs off. I hope she feels better soon. That looks very sore.

And he gave me steroid and antibiotic cream in an emollient base to use twice a day after day 3 over the top of any scabs that were still there.
That must be similar to what I get from my vet. Raf gets mud fever every year but the cream they give me is amazing stuff and clears it up no drama. I think it must be quite soothing too - it feels very cold and Raf seems to enjoy having it massaged in.

she's much happier with it not being scrubbed, when I say scrubbed I've only been using warm dilute hibi with cotton wool to scrub at it, nothing any more harsh than that, Then drying with cotton wool and putting the cream on.
I've just slathered it with sudocrem the last few days and it's no worse, though the area is still very hot to touch, will be calling the vet again today to see what he suggests now.

Hibiscrub is pretty fierce stuff & I've been told not to use it beyond an initial clean because it kills good cells as well as bad.

Reactions: Trewsers
Even properly diluted I've been told not to use it repeatedly. I used to wince when I'd hear a yo tell people to use it neat & not rinse it off so it could continue working.

Reactions: Jessey
The very first pic looked like something Toby got years ago when our then YO didn't tell us about a chemical spill from the agri business on site. But your later pics look like when Kez has a skin infection caused by getting his leg stuck in the fence. Poor girl. We had some silver based cream for Kez. Biteback do some amazing products and do a silver healing cream. Not expensive either.

I am re-convinced she's stepping on it and that's why the infection started and reoccurs in the same place. I just need it to heal now before I can put a boot on to protect it.
I've done nothing but slather it with sudocrem for a few days due to the move and it looks awful :(
FB_IMG_1514709520532.jpg
I'm a bit annoyed the vets treatment has made it so much worse :( an expensive mistake.

I tried softening the scabs with warm water yesterday but it was doing nothing and it's so sore now, she looked a tiny bit lame with it :( in desperation I put some coconut oil with tea tree on it and wrapped it with cotton wool and loosely vet wrapped it on, hopefully they are softer and less painful today.

If you think she's treading on it then I'd definitely be keeping it covered with a dressing, though I'd go for gamgee rather than cotton wool so that it's less likely to stick. I would be wondering why she's suddenly stepping on herself though. fingers crossed she's more comfortable today.

If you think she's treading on it then I'd definitely be keeping it covered with a dressing, though I'd go for gamgee rather than cotton wool so that it's less likely to stick. I would be wondering why she's suddenly stepping on herself though. fingers crossed she's more comfortable today.
It's all I had to hand but I'm going by a friends to pinch gamgee shortly. That was exactly my thought on why is she suddenly interfering, I'm going to get a physio check up next week hopefully, but I suspect it's the silly behaviour over the man next door and the very uneven ground in the new field as it doesn't happen all the time just once every month or so :rolleyes:

I didn't really expect any improvement over night but happily surprised, the naff dressing stayed on and when I took it off chunks of scabs fell off
FB_IMG_1514713677877.jpg
And more came off with a gentle rub and no objection to suggest it was particularly sore so I've dressed it again and will look again this evening.

That's good it seems to be improving. I notice she now has hair growing on it where as in your earlier pictures it just looked very raw and red. Hopefully things are going in the right direction now.

We made some progress then it seemed to stall again :(
FB_IMG_1515353680268.jpg
I've switched to using a product called MTG, will give it a few days and then see where we go next.

I use MTG, i think its great...Rummy got rain scald for the first time ever, well since I have had him. It was all along his neck and in along his mane. MTG cleared it up in no time...hopefully it will work for Jess.
p.s I hope your moving went smoothly.

I use MTG, i think its great...Rummy got rain scald for the first time ever, well since I have had him. It was all along his neck and in along his mane. MTG cleared it up in no time...hopefully it will work for Jess.
p.s I hope your moving went smoothly.
Fingers crossed, I'd only ever known people use it for hair growth but the bottle says bacterial and fungal infections so I figured worth a try.

The move went well, but my cat is protesting :rolleyes: the outdoor, hunter extraordinaire is refusing to go outside, she crept out the cat flap a few times and comes right back in, I put her out, she fly's back in, she is at least twice the size she was 10 days ago as all she does is sleep, eat and sh!t in the litter tray :mad::po_O Having moved from a bungalow to a house she is loving having stairs and a bannister......the only energy she expends is thumping up and down and climbing the rail....but as she is now fat as a house she can't just jump up and has scratched all the wood trying to haul her lardy ass up on the rail :mad: I lover her really :cool:

newrider.com