Jess' leg

Oh the same happened when my sister moved house, her mostly outside cat became a mostly indoor cat, she never reverted back to being mostly outdoor again??
How are you finding having stairs to run up and down...It'll keep you fit , not that you probably need it ;):p

Reactions: Jessey
Oh the same happened when my sister moved house, her mostly outside cat became a mostly indoor cat, she never reverted back to being mostly outdoor again??
How are you finding having stairs to run up and down...It'll keep you fit , not that you probably need it ;):p
She will go back to being outdoorsy, she's got until Saturday when I throw her out and lock her out for a few hours at a time!
Oh I need it, somehow I've put on another half a stone :( so now need to loose 2-2.5...oops

Reactions: joellie
You could try cutting the toes out of a sports sock and pulling it up over her leg, it will keep it covered and is easier than bandages.
Have you thought about trying Manuka honey on it?

How's she getting on @Jessey ?
Yes is slowly improving, I meant to get a picture this morning to do an update but forgot (the one I took yesterday isn't very clear). The big scabby bit lower down is now breaking up, but the very top is being stubborn, which is annoying as there was hardly anything there before the vet scalped it.

Reactions: Lissie
We're still getting progress, it's looking much better, but it there are new little scabs appearing in the heel and inside of the pastern (not physically connected, just random bits) , it's behaving like something so highly infectious if I touch another bit of the leg after it just spreads, who knows.
FB_IMG_1516298191550.jpg

Reactions: joellie
That does look better, whatever you're doing is obviously working. If you think touch is spreading it could you treat it with something that can be sprayed on rather than a lotion or cream?

That does look better, whatever you're doing is obviously working. If you think touch is spreading it could you treat it with something that can be sprayed on rather than a lotion or cream?
Good idea, I could probably get away with spraying the MTG, will have to pick up a squirty bottle.
Interestingly, maybe related, maybe not, my neighbours horse has got little mud fever type scabs (stared after jess' vet visit) and has now got really infected legs, he's now on systemic antibiotics.

That looks so much better than the last pictures I saw. Yes either spray or dab but don't rub in and dab on the better bits before the new scabs.

Looks 100 times better, a lot less angry. I used MTG on what I think was rain rot on the wee man this year and it cleared it up a treat, it stinks but seems to work.

That's a massive improvement! Hopefully it'll heal up completely now, well done for persisting & finding something that works.

i havent read the whole thread but have you tried alamycin spray? Its my ‘go to’ for a lot of things nowadays and yet i only came across it when i started keeping sheep.

ive used it (as well as on foot rot in sheep ;) ) on rainscald, mudfever and a very very nasty wire injury to a pastern that the vet thought would never heal :) It has a drying agent in it as well.

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/alamycin-aerosol-140g.html

I've used alamycin before, but haven't got any left, though I will ask the vet for some when she's out for annuals as it is so useful.

Its pretty much cleared up now (after the vets treatment plan, including their in-house made magic antibiotic cream, made it massively worse) so will keep doing what I am doing for now.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
What a relief! I'm glad you managed to get on top of it. What do you think did the trick in the end?
For the last 10 days I have been using Shapely's MTG Plus, its an American product aimed at skin conditioning to improve hair growth. Its main ingredients are Cade oil (juniper) and Sulphur. The major healing properties of cade oil are antiseptic, analgesic, antimicrobial, antipruritic, disinfectant, anti-parasitic, vermifuge and vulnerary (from the sales blurb). I'd never heard of cade before but its done the trick :)

Last edited:
newrider.com