So it's APRIL - Spring Chat

Whats changed im lost how come your having to cart water. Are you getting it out a stream. Submersible pump and blue water pipe off a 12v battery. If your only pumping a short distance. Could you put the container in a wheelbarrow. Thats what i used to do when i was at the yard and had them in the top part of the field.
Alternately rearrange your paddock to go closer to the water source. Carting water is a back killer.

Ride on mower left in a field would be very desirable by thieves. If its a steep hill rid on mowers just spin the minute its even damp.
The YO was dropping up an ibc tank. He wants it back for other liveries.
We were asked to move back to the old field last week. It's an acre from the gate up a track. She can have access to that if needs be, but that's part of her summer grazing and it's not got anything on it.
Its just this supply that will be hard work, next supply will come from a house as they offered. I just need to get enough containers to fill when they throw the pipe over so I am not excessively asking for water.

Luka has twice decided he's staying out, only to strongly regret it and be waiting to come in the next day šŸ¤£

AJ had a bit of a fright tonight. He got a MASSIVE tree stuck in his tail. It was at least a foot long and wide and VERY thorny. I eventually managed to get a headcollar on and untangle the bitey monster, at great personal risk to me (he actually was beside himself and kicking out dramatically) and peace was restored, but he was absolutely shattered afterwards. Raf was absolutely not bothered.

• Wow
Reactions: Jessey
Day one of being self sufficient and doing our own water. I only managed to pull one container up the one acre.
The other two containers plus the one on wheels I physically couldn't get beyond the start of her track.
(I wonder if there is anyone local who wants to pull them up as part of their worlds strongest person training!!!)
Its only a really big problem until next month when I close off the back paddock and she can move forward, by then her water won't need to go as far up the track. If I haven't died by then!

I could do with a little motor on something that can do a grass bumpy hill. I dont want a quad, though that would be fabulous, it's just too move water up a hill.
What about a little ride on mower?
Could that carry water plus me.
It hardly seems worth spending Ā£100ā€™s on a mower to use it a couple of times a week for a month. A wheel barrow will be your best bet, the barrow bags are good.

Day one of being self sufficient and doing our own water. I only managed to pull one container up the one acre.
The other two containers plus the one on wheels I physically couldn't get beyond the start of her track.
(I wonder if there is anyone local who wants to pull them up as part of their worlds strongest person training!!!)
Its only a really big problem until next month when I close off the back paddock and she can move forward, by then her water won't need to go as far up the track. If I haven't died by then!

I could do with a little motor on something that can do a grass bumpy hill. I dont want a quad, though that would be fabulous, it's just too move water up a hill.
What about a little ride on mower?
Could that carry water plus me.
you can get motorised wheelbarrows but not sure how good they are i use a ride on mower to harrow the field and it tends to get stuck regularly and it has the deck removed so no excuses

love watching the bulbs come up, the dog tooth violets are beautiful and the bluebells i planted next to the hen run to follow on from the snowdrops are appearing, puny but will improve in years to come. Planted 2 clematis montana ruben at both ends of the run and 3 kilmarnock weeping willow. Got the man booked to come and concrete the front yard in May, and looking for a skid steer thingy to automate myself.

View attachment 122521
My OH would fight you for that!

I really do think Spring is here down south. Its finally been dry enough to harrow both fields and the rested winter field was looking heaps better so theyve gone back on that for a week or so.

Happy (mostly) naked boys with some green stuff to munch!

Screenshot_20240418_103030_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
It hardly seems worth spending Ā£100ā€™s on a mower to use it a couple of times a week for a month. A wheel barrow will be your best bet, the barrow bags are good.
I can't physically push a barrow up the hill with a container in.
It was slightly easier to pull it.
Hopefully it's a short term issue when we get grass she can go down the track for it.

She's got her summer coat in an apron clip style and the rest of her is a trace clip that's grown out and looks like I haven't bothered to redo.
If you add me in shorts and sometimes a wooly hat if it's chilly then we match perfectly šŸ˜‚
I am tempted to do a chaser/Irish. But, it's still dropping temp overnight here. And she's no longer looking too warm.

I have had to dig out the thick rugs again the last few nights. Not the super thick ones but still ones that I had washed and put away until next winter.

We had a frost last night. It's supposed to be 9 degrees tonight and back down to 2 degrees tomorrow night.

I need a whole tack room to hang up a multitude of rugs so I don't need to be putting them away and getting them out again. Like a walk in wardrobe for horse rugs. I'll put it on my wish list.

As for shorts ... It will be a few months before that happens šŸ˜‚

We had a hefty frost here last night. Went off by 8.30am. My poor tomatoes i brought last weekend, got wind battered within 24hrs and looked worse for wear. Fortunately my mum saw the forecast so i grabbed them in from outside and put in the utility room. They would have been curtains if i hadnt. Will put them in the greenhouse but it needs disinfecting before they can go out there.

Reactions: Bodshi
We had a hefty frost here last night. Went off by 8.30am. My poor tomatoes i brought last weekend, got wind battered within 24hrs and looked worse for wear. Fortunately my mum saw the forecast so i grabbed them in from outside and put in the utility room. They would have been curtains if i hadnt. Will put them in the greenhouse but it needs disinfecting before they can go out there.
I've done the same with some little geraniums we planted out in our planters when we had that warm spell a little while ago and I thought it was summer. They're now in the polytunnel looking a bit moth eared but seems to be rallying šŸ™ I feel really guilty though, poor wee things.

My mother (a passionate gardener) said that nothing frost sensitive goes out till after her birthday which was 16 May

I was trying to be organised and get things in the garden or at least planted in the greenhouse earlier this year. I say organised but i only got the seed potatoes at the weekend. We definitely cant plant early being up on the hill. Our growing season is a month shorter than in town. 2 weeks later in spring, 2 weeks earlier in the autumn.

My big guys are both wired at the moment, normally I call them and they come in along the new track from the paddocks next door no issues.

Last night I called, they ignored me, so I went and grabbed Monkey by the fly mask. Half way along the track, Jess came thundering along behind so I let go expecting them to go through to the barn field, but they both stopped, spun and came back flat out. The track is about 12 ft wide, they were side by side and I was in the middle and no time to get out of the way, so just had to freeze, they skimmed by me on either side šŸ˜±šŸ«£ their barrels running down my elbows close šŸ¤¬ then there was much prancing and frolicking around the paddock šŸ˜

I actually had to put a headcollar on to get them into the barn field! lol.

• Wow
Reactions: Bodshi
newrider.com