Volunteering for local RDA centre

Nope not yet and am getting bit concerned :confused: but then again the lady who is due to ring me is very busy (i was told) so it may be a while before she manages to get back to me. I've decided that if there are no messages for me - she has both my home and mobile numbers - once i've come back from my little holiday; going to a caravan on the coast next week - that i'll contact them again.

Will give them the benefit of the doubt for now as there quite a big organisation so it probably takes some arranging.

Glad you're starting soon though, bet you're excited :) Good luck and enjoy ;)

went to the RDA today. I met the horses and other helpers and watched 2 lesson. It was great. It was great to see the kids having so much fun.

I am starting helping properly on 29yth September. I am really looking forward to it.

Update on RDA volunteering

Well i'm just a plonker! :eek:

In a nice way of course......!;)

So why do i describe myself thus?:confused:

Because i didn't chase up the RDA place and when i finally got around to it they apologised and want me to come next week!!!:eek:

Story so far........
So, i come back from my coastal caravan hol. first week of September, wonderful weather, lovely walks etc. Still no messages. OH says..."if the Chairperson is so busy, she may have just forgotten, give her a call"....

I decide to mention it at my RS in case anyone knows of anywhere else wanting helpers...yes my RI knows a lady S who does RDA work and she'll talk to her at the weekend.

Go to my riding session on Tues...S is very interested in people helping out as where she goes is desperate for helpers...but...it's too far away for me, would be very long drive and not enough time to get back for work:(

So, yesterday morning i email the RDA place, get an immediate reply with details of Chairlady, ring her, have lovely chat and get asked to come down straight away. Can't :( but have arranged to go next Wednesday morning to fill in paperwork, look around, meet people and ponies etc. Also, on Sunday, OH and myself (with me driving!) will go and actually find the stables so i know how to get there myself.

Phew:p

I feel daft. Thing is, i'm not a very confident driver, so that affects me. Luckily it's only about 25mins drive away.

Also, it took a lot of effort and courage to actually make all the initial enquiries back in August that i kind of lost heart to chase it all up, even though it's something i really want to do. I have a 'i'm not worthy' complex :rolleyes:

However, it's sorted and i can go on Wednesday mornings and have plenty of time to drive back to the office and get changed for the afternoon boring work based stuff!

They also need people on Sunday afternoons. I can't commit to every week but they expect that so i'll go when i can.

Will let you know what happens next week. Getting nervous already (in a good way though :D)

Last edited:
Oh good luck on Wednesday. Let us know how it goes.

I am not confident driving. I used a sat nav to get me to RDA centre, but aparently the RDA centre has same postcode as Wattlington hall itself, so I ended in front of Wattlington house where the very kind owner redirected me.

I have heped twice now and really enjoyed. It is very rewarding. It is so wonderful to see the kids faces. I got arm ache mind you. I am sidwalking at the moment. I had to sidwalk while a little boy trotted on thursday. IT doesn't seem so fast when you are on the horse:). I am hoping to walk off some of my weight.

I am going to look at a riding school with a friend today. am hoping for a weather improvement.

Hiya Deana

Glad i'm not the only one who doesn't like driving. In fact i had a couple of incidents with the 'white van man' species on Sunday when i went to find the RDA stables. I've posted my venting on another thread about driving so won't repeat myself but suffice to say i was a bit shaken. Course i'm hoping that this will increase my confidence as well and i'm sure that once the route becomes second nature i'll wonder what i was so bothered about! I used to drive up and down the motorway from Leeds to Sheffield years ago in my old trusty rusty Granny's micra without a thought :eek:

But, i am excited about Wednesday! Don't know if i'll get to actually do any helping out, they want me to fill out paperwork and look around etc. Still going to wear my jods and boots as nothing else i have is suitable so may as well look the part ;)

Hope the weather improves for you and you find somewhere good to ride. Are you looking for somewhere to do lessons? Can you not do them at the RDA place or do they not run standard lessons?

Last edited:
Quick update...not had time to sit down here yet as i got back from RDA yesterday and was really busy at work, then this morning had to rush OH to Doctors with suspected asthma attack:eek:! Phew! All is well now though :rolleyes:

Tbh, didn't get to do any side walking as spent most of the morning filling forms in so was a bit disappointed about that, however i did help to tack up one of the ponies, Tico, for the session and that was good as i've not tacked up before. Everyone was sooo friendly, helpful and supportive and i came away finally feeling like i was wanted! They also talked me through side walking and began filling in my training card!

I'm going on Sunday afternoon as well as they are really busy then so it'll be in at the deep end but i'm really looking forward to it :D

Also, quite proud of myself as i drove there and back with no problems! Didn't get lost, or panicked and it only took about 30 mins each way, hooray! I'm a happy chappie :p

Last edited:
Glad it went well. Good Luck for Sunday.

I was meant to go today, but my daughter has been up all night with a sickness bug, so is off school today, so i was unable to go which I feel guilty for, but I needed to look after my daughter.

Will be going back on Tuesday.

i did volunteer work at an rda center for 6 years and enjoyed it immensely unfortunately the center closed down due to money issues. i was a side walker made my arms really strong. i didn't enjoy getting attacked by Avery an autistic child we had still have scars but it really makes you happy to see the kids enjoy themselves

Glad it went well. Good Luck for Sunday.

I was meant to go today, but my daughter has been up all night with a sickness bug, so is off school today, so i was unable to go which I feel guilty for, but I needed to look after my daughter.

Will be going back on Tuesday.

Thanks, think it will be a bit more hectic on Sunday but i'm prepared to just get stuck in!!

Hope your daughter is better, you mustn't feel guilty they should understand that you had to look after her.

Enjoy next weeks RDA fix!

Did my Sunday and it was great! I learnt more about side walking and leading. Helped tack up one of the big fellas! then actually did some leading myself - a little gorgeous pony who was so easy to lead and her little rider was very impressive! Know what you mean about the trotting Deana - phew! it certainly warmed me up :) Also, got asked to pick out one of the pony's feet at the end. I just went into his stall, put a headcollar on and tied him up with a quick release knot (!) yay and picked out all 4 feet no problem! I only realised what i'd done afterwards - pony didn't know me, id didn't know him, i've never actually had to tie one up before so was pretty proud of myself. I know that sounds silly to people who do it like they put their socks on but it was a big deal for me ;)

Everyone was really friendly again, even though it was busy and a bit stressful at times due to lack of communication (guess that happens everywhere!) i still felt part of a team and there were quite a few people who are newish so i didn't feel daft asking questions.

Looking forward to Wednesday again!

SOunds like you had a great time.

I've just offered to volunteer at my local rda and am waiting to hear back so it's great to hear what I might be up to!

Have you met major yet? I've been riding him in my lessons there, such a sweetie

Hi bexj, yep! Helped tack him up on Sunday, and gave him a love today as he was in his stable watching us all rush round sorting out ponies! He's so calm and chilled bless him :)

Had a good morning, felt a bit like us newbies were 'standing on the older ones toes' as it were - kind of like they had their routine and we were in the way! but once they realised we were keen they were ok. Think i'm just a bit paranoid sometimes LOL

Did more leading today and...finally put a bridle on yay! It was one of the smaller ponies, Ruby, who i lead on Sunday and she was so patient with me, especially as she ended up with one ear under the browband :eek::D

Also on the ride today was Blue, i think you or maybe Rarah mentioned him in another thread ? The whole ride were grey ponies :rolleyes: i had no clue who was who until the end :eek:

But each time i go i learn something new. Did sidewalking today, quite different to leading and i find it quite hard to concentrate totally on the rider and let the leader lead the pony!

So glad i plucked up the courage though, am really enjoying it :p

Glad it is going well Abserd. It doesn't sound silly at all that you are proud of yourself. I have never had horses and am loving learning about them as well as the children.

I went to the RDA yesterday and am going tomorrow. I am really enjoying it and am finding it very rewarding.

Yesterday we had the local paper there taking pictures as the Rotary Club raised over £2000 for them. I am hoping I am well hidden behind Callum the horse. I hate my pic taken.

newrider.com