Volunteering for local RDA centre

Another busy lesson - with 5 grey ponies to confuse me! I did sidewalking and the lad kept me busy :rolleyes: But when he did concentrate he was really good and even came off the lead rein too :D

For some reason the second group cancelled so i got to ride :p It was quite strange to suddenly be riding in front of people i didn't know on a strange horse and at first myself and A (only 2 of us stayed to ride with the instructor W) were on lead reins because they wanted us to close our eyes to feel the movement of the horse and how easy it is to unbalance when turning if the leader (or sidewalker) doesn't warn the rider. I had to totally trust the leader and the horse and after a while got a little tense, i wanted to see where i was going as i'd lost all sense of direction. Also we were in the inside school which confused me even more when we rode near the gates and the sun streamed through. I also noticed it was harder to hear my leader's voice as my ears were taking in all the other voices around me.

Eventually though i was let off the lead rein :D and trotted!! My pone was quite hard to keep going but once he was trotting he was ok. I guess i'm so used to most of the RS horses i ride being forward going so it was quite an effort on the old legs! I had to be very gentle with his mouth which was fine as my hands and arms were aching from my riding lesson last night - the mad black mare was cantering again!! I love riding her, but she's young and strong and i just couldn't grip (giving and releasing to slow her trot) continuously. I even had to halt in the centre as my fingers had gone numb :eek:

Anyway, it was nice though to give these RDA ponies a change and do different things like trotting circles etc. The pony i rode - Sylvester is, i think, the only pony actually owned by the RDA so i don't know whether he does non-RDA rides. I felt a bit like a beginner at times again though :eek: mind you my leader rides for the Irish Paralympic Team so i guess i was allowed to :rolleyes:;)

Hows it going Abserd?

I am still really enjoying helping. I went on a training session on monday and now can lead the horses/ponies and tack up/untack. I am really glad i did the training as it means i can do more now and also i get more hands on experiance with horses too.

I am back on Tuesday.

I have also restarted riding lessons (not at RDA). i went a couple of weeks ago with a friend i met on here. We are going agan on friday. It was hard work, but i enjoyed it. I have a lot to learn still , but plan to enjoy learning.

Hiya all, sorry i've not been updating for a while.

Glad you're getting so much training in Deana, i've had some training but basically it's a case of get stuck in - which is ok as i find it easier to learn as i go.

Tbh though last Sunday was a mess! :eek: We were running around all the time, none of the ponies had the correct tack and people were waiting ages which just wasn't fair. To top it all off, there was a physio in one lesson (that was ok of course!) but there was also a bloke filming us - possibly for the website, so we had to keep walking towards him and away from him at different angles, fun for a while, but not when you're pulling C, one of the big fellas who definitely has a mind of his own!! Mind you, i did manage to put his bridle on which was fun! Had to pull his head down using his head collar as i just couldn't reach. He was very patient though - lucky for me:rolleyes:

It just went a bit mad after that. A girl from University was taking loads of pictures for the calendar and one of the RI's was being really bossy! Also, apparently she'd written notes on each pony stating which tack went where - but none of the helpers knew about it and one of the organisers was getting rather pee'd off. Can't blame her really - it was a bit of a farce at times!

Still, i'm glad i went as it's certainly one way to learn in at the deep end.

I took a note out of one of the other helpers 'books' and brought a whole tube of polos - they went down well with ponies and kids alike!

Going again tomorrow - i know i said i'd only go every OTHER Sunday, but it's been half term here this week so no RDA during the week and no progressive riding at my RS so i've needed my horsey fix:D

Feeling a bit down at the mo. don't know why, just one of those days. Normally this feeling would make me want to hide under my duvet but i will force myself to go tomorrow as i know how much better i'll feel afterwards. Horses are definitely the best medicine :eek::D

Sorry to hear your down. Hope you feel brighter soon.

Sound like it was a bit chaos at the RDA last week. Hopefully it was a one off.

They don't do weekend lesson where i help. Just 4 days a week which I help at 2 of. It doesn't sound as busy as the RDA you help at. On the days I help there are 3 to 4 half hour lessons with 2 children per lesson. There are 3-4 horses used per morning, which are all tacked up ready before hand. I think the Rda has about 13 horses, although i haven't met them all yet.

Sorry to hear your down. Hope you feel brighter soon.

Sound like it was a bit chaos at the RDA last week. Hopefully it was a one off.

They don't do weekend lesson where i help. Just 4 days a week which I help at 2 of. It doesn't sound as busy as the RDA you help at. On the days I help there are 3 to 4 half hour lessons with 2 children per lesson. There are 3-4 horses used per morning, which are all tacked up ready before hand. I think the Rda has about 13 horses, although i haven't met them all yet.

Hi and thanks - think it was a one-off as it was better organised yesterday! There were less riders and more helpers which helped too!! The RDA has one pony of it's own and uses ponies and horses from the equestrian centre where it is based. The most riders i've seen in a lesson is 5 or 6. But on Sunday there are sometimes up 4 or even 5 lessons, hence, hectic day!!

I felt much better yesterday, it definitely helped being outdoors and being with the ponies. Got my car stuck in the mud on the way back though which was fun :eek:

More tacking up for me yesterday, getting (slowly) better ;)

Bit low today :(

Hey guys, another update....hope you're not too bored yet!

Actually i'm feeling a bit down about it all today, i know every day is different and maybe i'm just being over sensitive but i think i'm going to stop going to RDA on Wednesday mornings and stick to Sundays. I just felt really 'got at' today, lots of little things really, don't want to go into too much detail here just in case but if you're really intrigued you can PM me. I'm just letting off some steam here i guess! I wasn't really needed today and find that most Weds. they have enough helpers. Although Sundays can be very chaotic i do feel very involved and included. Any mistakes are dealt with sensitively and i'm never made to feel stupid, as per today:eek:

Most of the time i'm fine, but you don't know what's going on on the inside and deep down i get very anxious and tend to take everything that is said personally. I just don't need criticism right now. If it's constructive and it's teaching me, fine. But all the miscommunication, being told one thing then another until my head is spinning, is not fine. For me, that's just going to lead to a panic. When i left I nearly went home instead of to work, but rang my OH who was really understanding. I did go to work and had a laugh as it turned out:rolleyes: But i've had too much critiscism and negativity in my life already so i'm making a decision now and feel better for it. I don't want to give up RDA, i love the ponies and i'm learning so much. I'd be fine if it wasn't for people LOL!!! Not talking about anyone in particular btw

Sorry this wasn't very uplifting was it? :eek: I'll try better next time :D

Thanks for reading my tirade yet again - it really makes a difference being able to get my feelings out on here :)

Sorry to hear you had a hard time. Volunteering can be stressful at the best of times and if it is not well coordinated it is a nightmare. Hope it goes better for you next time.

I also volunteered on Tuesday for 3 different lessons - side walker twice and leader once. All I can say is that I don't understand why the first lesson was a half hour late getting started when the kids were there and the horses were ready and being walked around the arena. So that lesson got cut short and the next one was late also and that was the pattern for the night.

In addition, none of the saddles for the kids I helped were put on right. Pad slipped way back? Saddle tilted to the side? Oh well, we're running late so we'll cope. omg, I was appalled. How is it helping the child when the saddle is off center and the child keeps falling off one side???????

Sorry to hear you had a hard time. Volunteering can be stressful at the best of times and if it is not well coordinated it is a nightmare. Hope it goes better for you next time.

Thankyou! I have done so much volunteering in my life and part of me likes the excitement of getting the ponies tacked up on time and sorting out little problems. It seems like lack of communication is the norm in volunteering and i do accept that. I've been in touch with the group secretary and she's fine for me to only do Sundays as they do need me more there. She forwarded my email onto the RI's from Wednesday and one of them rang me last night:eek: I was a bit surprised and worried that she was annoyed with me, then realised she'd rung me by mistake and had meant to ring my friend instead! She basically made it quite clear that they have a good group on Wednesdays so i woul be better helping on Sundays :mad: At least i don't feel guilty now though:rolleyes:

Ah well, these things happen and i'm glad i was decisive as now i'm looking forward to the next Sunday i can go. Can't go this Sunday as i'll be exhausted from 'Your Horse Live' on Saturday yay :D

I also volunteered on Tuesday for 3 different lessons - side walker twice and leader once. All I can say is that I don't understand why the first lesson was a half hour late getting started when the kids were there and the horses were ready and being walked around the arena. So that lesson got cut short and the next one was late also and that was the pattern for the night.

In addition, none of the saddles for the kids I helped were put on right. Pad slipped way back? Saddle tilted to the side? Oh well, we're running late so we'll cope. omg, I was appalled. How is it helping the child when the saddle is off center and the child keeps falling off one side???????

I know what you mean. SOmetimes i feel quite frustrated when tack isn't clean or needs repairing but can't do anything about it as the horses belong to the RS and not to the RDA (well only one horse belongs to the RDA). We also end up running late, even when we arrive early. One person has one list, one has another, then ponies that are needed are still in fields whilst others that we don't need are tacked up and ready!! Not great, but then again, doesn't happen all the time, it's hard when they have to rely on volunteers all the time and the RI's are so busy.

However, i would be very concerned about rushing the lesson with a child on a badly fitting saddle, it wouldn't be safe for the child, pony or leader would it? Seems like as much as we try to help out, there's always going to be difficulties, lack of money and time seem to be the main problems. All we can do is try, and i still get a buzz from it so i won't stop going....for now :rolleyes:

Thanks for replying to my rant ;)

It's just a shame we seem to have such similar problems with the RDA places!

Yes, everyone is involved because they really want to help. And the people in charge spend a LOT of time working. I found Tues night that our volunteer coordinator just quit that day because it was taking up so much more time than she was getting paid for (paying job). But even with all the help, it seems like a massive job to constantly be figuring out which horse, which tack, which leader and sidewalkers, etc. And it seems to be constantly changing.

We were called Tuesday morning to come that night. And the silly thing is that 2 weeks ago I agreed to go in at 3 pm and when I told the person who called, she said oh, no, we have 3:00 covered! So I would have gone in for nothing and at that time of day it is a 45 minute drive each way.

Of course complaining about it the way I'm doing doesn't help. What would help would be to take charge myself but I am a little too selfish with my time now that I am newly retired and also having to go from Houston to Florida almost every month for a week to take care of my parents.

*sigh* feeling like i can't be bothered, bad i know. But now i've agreed to just do every other SUnday (and last Sunday was the usual farce with the stable staff ignoring my pleas for help) i got a phonecall last night from the chair saying please can i come next Wednesday morning as A has left and 3 of the regulars can't make it. I said no, i had plans. Part of me felt guilty but on the other hand, they made me feel so welcome (not), told they had enough people, a 'lovely' group of regulars, so i obviously wasn't needed and now they want me? Well i can't drop everything - they should have been more appreciative in the first place. Selfish? possibly, but the Sunday crew, as chaotic as it is, certainly are appreciative. Anyway, that's my update:eek:

However, what i didn't tell the chair was that i know A had left and why and that she is going to a different RDA. It's further away but i may consider it next year. Only 2 more Sunday sessions this year and one of them is the xmas party so i'll stay till the end and think about it. After reading about how much better organised some of yours are, it may be better if i change. The frustration is really affecting me, not good for me! The RDA that A is going to won't let her begin until her reference has been checked and her CRB check has gone through. I've been at my current RDA since September and no-one cares that my CRB stuff hasn't been checked and i'm not about to just leave all my identification just laying about:rolleyes:

P.S. CRB is the Criminal Records Bureau - checking up that i'm not a bad 'un!!!

Sorry that's not the most positive post guys - feeling bad about work generally so it's hard when your enthusiasm keeps getting knocked. Hopefully better news next time!!

newrider.com