2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

Sonny unmounted 112.25 hrs
Mounted 21.75 hrs
Andi unmounted 1.75 hrs

Woo hoo Im on A ROLL :p :p :p
I've ridden every day this week and TWICE YESTERDAY. ( and it was even really windy)

Ive ridden more this week than the last few months.

I feel so motivated.

I did figure out why I'm having so much problems with side pass. I am having a lot of problems putting weight in the stirrup of travel direction and I was trying to
one that was too fast.

I'm just working now one step at a time.

I am trying to mix things up im not playing with all the obstacles all the time.
Yesterday I played with the ball again sending it all around the yard
then back over to the tire where it lives. and had a nice ride up on the grassy hill behind the big rd pens.
Later in he day I had another nice ride and played with the tarp.

It was very windy but I am not setting time frames to ride length wise what ever feels good...
I actually did ride a long time despite the wind:) I DID NOT fixate on it.

Then later I felt like having another ride no pressure no time frame JUST PLEASURE.....;);):):)

I do still miss having the closed neighborhood to ride but I do have more
things in reality here.

Hopefully another nice ride this am who knows maybe 2:rolleyes::rolleyes:
View attachment 100087
View attachment 100088

View attachment 100089
View attachment 100090

I have a bunch of poles up there that got all shifted to the side when my husband mowed it.
I need to re set them up and make some serpentines with the cones etc.

I am in a much better place confidence wise if I'm actually DOING somehting
I have to think about.
Plus I have all those lovely trees to circle and serpentine too.

I still need another cowboy curtain set set up.
Great that you're getting so much out of it!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Well I managed a pootle on the ginger one day before yesterday. It was very calm here most unusual! However, one of our many kittens (Felix cos he's black and white) was lurking at the side of the school in the long grass. First time past I didn't clock him, but Zi did lol I called out to Felix but he didn't make himself known...............in the end Zi just ignored his rustlings.....................:D

Sonny unmounted 114.50 hrs
Mounted 23.75 hrs
Andi unmounted 1.75 hrs

The am routine is working out really REALY well.
I have been riding every day woo hoo.

I hope storms don't mess that up TODAY.

Yesterday I had planned to not do any obstacles at all.. sonny had other ideas.
He wanted to go over the bridge etc .. ok fine.....
It was kind of cute but he did expect his carrot after :rolleyes:

Tobias was watching us from the corner of his field.

Later in the afternoon when I let him have some more grass
I put out the poles on the grassy field at random mostly
except for making a big cross with 4 poles and a large opening in the center.
I got a pinterest email with some really nice patterns using those 4 poles set that way..

IMG_0783.JPG100129

Took H out this morning, for what was supposed to be a faster, simple, uneventful ride. First met half a dozen ponies at the gate into the forest, including a Shetland. No worries, walked by, slowly, but did it. Good fast trot through some tracks, then, heading home, met a worried pony, calling for her herd. H immediately on red alert, and I just KNEW those ponies would come to their buddy at a run. My yellow streak emerged, and off I got. (Wimp) and not a moment too soon - over the brow of the hill they came, full pelt, and past us on both sides. :eek: However, I have to give my boy his due, he huffed a bit, but nothing too dramatic. I wouldn't have been able to hold him 6 months ago, so credit where it's due. Hopefully he'll soon cope with this, as well as all the other dramas the forest can throw at him, that he's overcome. Got his extra carrot when we got home. :D

Sonny unmounted 116.00 hrs
Mounted 25.00 hrs
Andi unmounted 1.75 hrs

Yea still riding daily woo hoo. I was not sure if it was going to happen today
with rain but YEA I DID GET ONE IN.
I had to watch the sky but I got a good ride up on the hill and played with the poles
in a cross and the random ones near them.
I don't want to do all of them at one time to not get stagnant..
I played a bit with the tarp water obstacle then dumped that out for now.

Oops - I'm a bit out of date!

I was due to go to an arena eventing clinic on Sunday and then Harvey came in from the field with a bent shoe on Friday. The farrier couldn't visit as he was baby sitting, but he said I could take Harvey to him so on Saturday a very confused Harvey went in the newly fixed lorry to be shod. There was time for a play in the school when we got back.

Sunday dawned wet and windy and my clinic was cancelled. It eased off a bit in the afternoon so we went for a blustery hack.

I had the week off so Monday was some jumping practice for Harvey at home and Tuesday was a hack with YO.

On Friday I had an XC clinic at a venue new to me. Harvey went very well - we jumped up to 80cm but also did some things we had never done before like a double of offset brush fences. We were lucky with the weather getting back to the horsebox just as it started to rain.

I've been a bit lax with the photos but here we are walking back at the end of the clinic
i-rs5J8Xz-XL.jpg

Hacking
2 hours
6 miles

Schooling
2 hours 30 minutes

Totals
Schooling
31 hours 20

Hacking
270 miles
71 hours 45

Sonny unmounted 117.50 hrs
Mounted 26.50 hrs
Andi unmounted 1.75 hrs

Yea still getting a ride in every day woo hoo.
I do feel so much better mentally and physically.

Thurs pm we got some more 3 inch poles for on the grassy hill.
Yesterday am I set up a double cross with a box in the center.
I will have to tweek it a bit the ground is uneven and I may remove the box and utilize those 4 poles in a better way. There are some rocks to contend with as well.

WE had a good frost /freeze last nite woo hoo.
EEE is still a big problem another horse in MA. and more infected mosqitoes found in southern RI.
Thankfully I don't go far. The frost/freeze this am should help a bit here.
I was THRILLED to see a bucket with a little ice in it.
Yesterday was very gusty so I did not go up under the trees to try out my new poles.

@horseandgoatmom Ice - Yuk! Bring back Summer

Harvey and I had a trip to an arena XC clinic on Saturday. I ended up in a group jumping a bit smaller than I would have liked but it was still fun. Sunday was my final hack with a fellow livery who is leaving for pastures new so Harvey and I will be hacking on our own for a while. Sadly no piccies - I have been promised a couple of short videos from the clinic so if they turn up I will post them.

Schooling
1 hour

Hacking
1 hour 30
5 miles

Totals
Schooling
32 hours 20

Hacking
275 miles
73 hours 30

Had a lovely ride on Saturday, bless him, didn't put a foot wrong. Glad I went, because it's rained ever since! Looks like rain for the next week at least. I'll have to just get out when there's a pause, though have granny duties a lot of this week.Screenshot_20191007-144103_Gallery.jpg

Sonny unmounted 119.00 hrs
Mounted 26.50 hrs
Andi unmounted 1.75 hrs

Lol Garyb right now ill take some more ice to get rid of mosquito worry.

So much for my good roll of riding it feels like a lost few days that started out
sooooooooooooooooo well.
I legged up as usual Saturday and gave him some grass it was a picture perfect day and warmed up to a lovely fall day from the ice in the am. We went to the mouted police open house and on the way we stoppped at the flu shot clini.
I have NEVER EVER had a reaction.
After also stopping at a dollar store on way gettting some really fun halloween
things to decorate cones with we had a great time at the police horse open house
It was great they had a nice barn and lovely little indoor I loved seeing some obstacles inside. I was hoping they were going to go thru them but they did some riding outside the tack had georgous brass medallions saying providence mounted patrol on them even the halters .
It was overall nice they had kids activity as well. I don't have kids but had the balloon guy been making horsey baloon hats like he was wearing ohhhh id have been in line.... it was the coolest twisted baloon hat.
I talked to the head mounted police person he was wearing spurs he was soooo proud of he won them taking first place in a mounted police horse competion a few years prior and is hoping to go to them again. There are less and less mounted units so they would have to go further to competions.
Such a great day and hoping to ride late in the day.
Stopped at a huge grocery ware house on the way home and started to feel off
and the weekend just got worse within an hr of getting home
I must have had a reaction to the flu shot i ended up with chills feeling like a was run over with truck ugh no riding no play with my new poles on the hill yet.
Not even any legging up sunday and for sure no riding.
I still felt really crummy but did leg up yesterday am but i guess i have to be thankful
there were 40mph gusts to not think of riding.
Today its raining so ill have to play it by ear but id like to at least play
with the new pole setup on line if the weather cooperates.
I feel like its a lost couple of days ugh.
I have never had a reaction to a flu shot I felt fine getting it but I wonder if i had something brewing i did not realize and the shot brought it out????

WE totally lucked out with parking the couple teeny tiny parking lots were full
The stables are in a huge city park kind of off by them self.
We asked the policeman directing traffic if we could park in front of the other cars
on the road he said someone just pulled out here... I think there is a spot right in here.. woo hoo we could not have gotten closer.
We brought our food out to the hood of the car.
I cant wait to get back to riding this week is going to be rainy a lot .

Not been good weather for riding until a blip yesterday. Mr T managed a quick one on the ginger lad - but I didn't get lucky, the rain was coming in off the sea and I could see it. I chickened out because he squeals and gets over excited (softy that he is) and that makes me nervous. So I probably did the right thing. He was good though considering it had been over a week again since T had ridden him. Plus it was a no-kitten ride lol They were in the garage and the back garden. Not hiding and lying in wait!!!

Managed to get out Monday and Wednesday, nothing since - pouring! However, both rides went well. Nearly turned tail and ran on Weds - 4 forest ponies clustered round on the main track, but it's getting silly now they're there all the time. So, on we went and although Hogan stopped for a minute, right in the middle of them, he was brilliant and walked on no problem. AND we went down the steep hill, AND trotted right round the enclosure, AND he went past a BT van on the lane home,with a guy halfway up a telephone pole - best boy! Can't remember if I'd already mentioned, we had a baby adder in the barn :eek:. There might be a nest in an empty stable with a woodpile in it, but I don't know how it's surviving in the cool damp weather. Picked him up in the dustpan and put him in the paddock - didn't want the cat to find him and get bitten.

Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
Sonny unmounted 119.00 hrs
Mounted 26.50 hrs
Andi unmounted 1.75 hrs

Lol Garyb right now ill take some more ice to get rid of mosquito worry.

So much for my good roll of riding it feels like a lost few days that started out
sooooooooooooooooo well.
I legged up as usual Saturday and gave him some grass it was a picture perfect day and warmed up to a lovely fall day from the ice in the am. We went to the mouted police open house and on the way we stoppped at the flu shot clini.
I have NEVER EVER had a reaction.
After also stopping at a dollar store on way gettting some really fun halloween
things to decorate cones with we had a great time at the police horse open house
It was great they had a nice barn and lovely little indoor I loved seeing some obstacles inside. I was hoping they were going to go thru them but they did some riding outside the tack had georgous brass medallions saying providence mounted patrol on them even the halters .
It was overall nice they had kids activity as well. I don't have kids but had the balloon guy been making horsey baloon hats like he was wearing ohhhh id have been in line.... it was the coolest twisted baloon hat.
I talked to the head mounted police person he was wearing spurs he was soooo proud of he won them taking first place in a mounted police horse competion a few years prior and is hoping to go to them again. There are less and less mounted units so they would have to go further to competions.
Such a great day and hoping to ride late in the day.
Stopped at a huge grocery ware house on the way home and started to feel off
and the weekend just got worse within an hr of getting home
I must have had a reaction to the flu shot i ended up with chills feeling like a was run over with truck ugh no riding no play with my new poles on the hill yet.
Not even any legging up sunday and for sure no riding.
I still felt really crummy but did leg up yesterday am but i guess i have to be thankful
there were 40mph gusts to not think of riding.
Today its raining so ill have to play it by ear but id like to at least play
with the new pole setup on line if the weather cooperates.
I feel like its a lost couple of days ugh.
I have never had a reaction to a flu shot I felt fine getting it but I wonder if i had something brewing i did not realize and the shot brought it out????

View attachment 100199

View attachment 100204View attachment 100203View attachment 100202View attachment 100201View attachment 100205View attachment 100206View attachment 100200
WE totally lucked out with parking the couple teeny tiny parking lots were full
The stables are in a huge city park kind of off by them self.
We asked the policeman directing traffic if we could park in front of the other cars
on the road he said someone just pulled out here... I think there is a spot right in here.. woo hoo we could not have gotten closer.
We brought our food out to the hood of the car.
View attachment 100207
I cant wait to get back to riding this week is going to be rainy a lot .
Oooh - is that a Clydesdale in pic 6? Or just a lovely big cobby type? I get all gooey over Clydesdales - when I was growing up in Scotland, the rag and bone man came in a cart with a Clydesdale (showing my age!) In retrospect, that was posh - a rag and bone man with a Clydesdale! I used to run out to pet it, and my mum would almost pass out, when she saw 6 year old me hugging the leg of an 18hh horse. :D

• Love
Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com