2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

Today we doubled the hack again solo all in walk extra field Borders took in today. All in walk as we are both unfit she was lovely and forward going ears pricked all the way. I can honestly say it was the best thing I did to move to this farm the hacking is out of this world. We can go for miles. The only thing that disturbed our ride was one hen Pheasant
after we got back I walked the lane and back.
Time for lunch the it will be a u tube keep fit video later for all round fitness :).
107A38FF-459B-49C3-8CCC-C8670259258E.jpeg177B9EA9-269C-4977-912E-1F10A45FCB4E.jpeg746E319A-1784-4D18-9690-884AC7466320.jpegBE0492BD-9AC0-4C4B-ACF7-E2F3C87B3F0B.jpeg

Managed a hack this morning - isolation ok as no-one in the yard (I'm doing the horses) and no-one in the forest that early. Stuck to my plan, to take Hogan round our less used routes, and he was great. Lovely to just get out!

Another outing this morning. On my little unexploded bomb! He's been on new grass for 24 hours - didn't look massively blown up, but acted as though he's eaten two bags of sugar. He is such a little git. However, it was relatively uneventful, and am so appreciating getting out. Daughter got a lovely pic of him when we went up yesterday.Screenshot_20200328-105234_Gallery.jpg

Went out this morning, and now know for sure, that Hogan is schizophrenic. We set off in a stiff breeze, got to the forest gate to be greeted by the usual suspects - 5 forest ponies who I swear are stalking us. Right beside my makeshift mounting block. I decided to bluff it out, and he was fab - stood like a little rock while I got on. Then, before I got my feet in the stirrups, a little dog spooked the ponies, who all took off at a rate of knots. Best boy again - just stood. Compared to my last ride, it was like a different little horse. We took an unfamiliar route, then back through the ponies and home. He trotted up nicely throughout, BUT - watch this space to see which of his personalities manifests next ride :eek:.

Strange times! We have new yard rules where only 3 people max can be there at once and we disinfect on the way in and out (and quite a bit in between!). We have set up a rota and luckily I get to have all weekend (mostly because I do a lot of the work).

On Saturday I visited my surrogate ponies as usual. Fluffy grey pony is shedding and wanted a groom (he isn't normally groomed in Winter as he lives out without a rug)

I planned to ride Harvey but after a mad session in the field he had managed to over reach. Nothing too serious, but I didn't want to get it dirty.

On Sunday it was polework time. Harvey and I defimitely have a lot of work to do!

Surrogate ponies enjoying the sun
i-h8rMwFC-XL.jpg

Curry comb and dandy brush after grooming fluffy grey pony
i-j25rqfL-XL.jpg

A picture of my feet :( (and Harvey's hoof)
i-nhL6864-XL.jpg

Video of polework fun :)

Schooling
45 minutes

Totals
Schooling
7 hours

Hacking
15 hours 10
54.3 miles

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Strange times! We have new yard rules where only 3 people max can be there at once and we disinfect on the way in and out (and quite a bit in between!). We have set up a rota and luckily I get to have all weekend (mostly because I do a lot of the work).

On Saturday I visited my surrogate ponies as usual. Fluffy grey pony is shedding and wanted a groom (he isn't normally groomed in Winter as he lives out without a rug)

I planned to ride Harvey but after a mad session in the field he had managed to over reach. Nothing too serious, but I didn't want to get it dirty.

On Sunday it was polework time. Harvey and I defimitely have a lot of work to do!

Surrogate ponies enjoying the sun
i-h8rMwFC-XL.jpg

Curry comb and dandy brush after grooming fluffy grey pony
i-j25rqfL-XL.jpg

A picture of my feet :( (and Harvey's hoof)
i-nhL6864-XL.jpg

Video of polework fun :)

Schooling
45 minutes

Totals
Schooling
7 hours

Hacking
15 hours 10
54.3 miles
I remember the "snowstorm" after grooming Ramsey! Why does the white hair seem messier than the dark hair? And that foot - ouch! :eek:

Reactions: GaryB
Went out this morning - eerily quiet, now the car parks are closed. Same ponies hanging around "my" mounting block! I think Hogan was a bit rattled by the silence and lack of dog walkers, but he was pretty good. Have to keep reminding myself to trot on different diagonals, and did some leg yielding and halts. Lovely hack, and below is what a good boy looks like :) Screenshot_20200402-122747_Gallery.jpg

Lovely ride out this morning, not another living soul in the inclosure. Hogan still a bit spooked by the solitude, But its a good opportunity to take him some different routes. Waiting for his next naughty 5 minutes - hope I'm disappointed!

Praying they don't ban all exercise, as this is keeping me sane! Super ride today, worked on halts, definitely a weakness with Mr stubborn! He learns quickly, and after 3 or 4, the head tossing and sidling stopped. Deserted forest, and a lovely tree in bloom.Screenshot_20200406-105812_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200406-105823_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200406-105827_Gallery.jpg

Funny to think that 4 weeks ago we were knee deep in mud and didn't thionk twice about meeting other people. This weekend I had to carry 125l of water into my surrogate ponies field becuase the storage container was empty and still felt luck to be outside when others were stuck at home.

A nice surprise for me on Saturday as I got to ride the horse that is with us on holiday for schooling while her owner is recoering fromn a riding injury. It felt weird to be riding a defferent horse, but I learnt that in some respects Harvey is acually quite difficult as I found when I swapped on to him.

I was thinking about a hack on Sunday but it was a bit windy so didn't want to take an risks and schooled again

My old share horse "helping" with poo picking
i-JGsK45W-X2.jpg

Video of surrogate pony also helping with poo picking

Schooling
90 minutes

Totals
Schooling
8 hours 30

Hacking
15 hours 10
54.3 miles

Funny to think that 4 weeks ago we were knee deep in mud and didn't thionk twice about meeting other people. This weekend I had to carry 125l of water into my surrogate ponies field becuase the storage container was empty and still felt luck to be outside when others were stuck at home.

A nice surprise for me on Saturday as I got to ride the horse that is with us on holiday for schooling while her owner is recoering fromn a riding injury. It felt weird to be riding a defferent horse, but I learnt that in some respects Harvey is acually quite difficult as I found when I swapped on to him.

I was thinking about a hack on Sunday but it was a bit windy so didn't want to take an risks and schooled again

My old share horse "helping" with poo picking
i-JGsK45W-X2.jpg

Video of surrogate pony also helping with poo picking

Schooling
90 minutes

Totals
Schooling
8 hours 30

Hacking
15 hours 10
54.3 miles
I think if I had to explain why I loved horses, I'd just show a picture of a horse's eye - says it all really.

Went up to go out, and so miffed to see Hogan had a big hairless patch on his neck. His field mate has what looks like lice or poss even mange, and despite putting deosect on Hogan, looks like he's got it. Anyway, sore patch where the bridle goes too, so hack cancelled. Luckily I have some lime plus dip, which worked in lice, and is apparently good for mange too, so he now smells hideous, but everything crossed, it works. YO has got some shampoo and deosect from the vet and has treated hers too. Just finished cleaning all my grooming kit, tack next :mad:

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
newrider.com