2021 Hacking and Riding

Another good one this morning. He was a lazy bones, but went forward when asked. A little dog came racing at us out the trees, and yapped around his legs, so much so I really thought he'd kick, but good boy stood until the very apologetic owner grabbed it. Enjoyed the ride, and hoping to get out more, now my days are free-er.

Due to unforeseen circumstances toni cant play today.
We are trying for next Sunday.

I just played with sonny.
He was reallt full of him self.
A neighbor walking her dog was surprised he was 26.

I didnt see Toni's text til I was back in
So i had gone up to the cowboy curtain
To have sonny go thru.
To check the footing even with all the rain the last couple days it was fine.

20211114_092938(0).jpg

20211114_093001.jpg

20211114_092914.jpg

20211114_100658.jpg

20211114_101530.jpg

20211114_101524.jpg

Really good ride today. Went out for longer, and deliberately went a couple of Hogan's "bogey" routes. No problems at all. Nearest thing to a worry, was a lively Springer who went past us at speed, trailing one of those looong leads - Hogan was sure it was a snake and froze. Owner said "Oh he keeps running off, so this makes it easier to catch him" :rolleyes: Danced about a little, then on we went. Lots of good forward trotting, and despite the cold, a bit sweaty when we got home.Screenshot_20211116-112244_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20211116-112312_Gallery.jpg

Really good ride today. Went out for longer, and deliberately went a couple of Hogan's "bogey" routes. No problems at all. Nearest thing to a worry, was a lively Springer who went past us at speed, trailing one of those looong leads - Hogan was sure it was a snake and froze. Owner said "Oh he keeps running off, so this makes it easier to catch him" :rolleyes: Danced about a little, then on we went. Lots of good forward trotting, and despite the cold, a bit sweaty when we got home.View attachment 109389View attachment 109390
Yes I can imagine him thinking it was as snake!!! Storm would have had eyes on stalks !!!!

Lovely, wintery hack. Due to back problems 2 years ago, I rode very little that winter and Covid lock down prevented my riding last winter too, So it is my first winter hacking properly on Ella. She is a wonder. She is a real sweety and will speed along when asked.
I am now completely exhausted and my muddy breeches (why are my breeches so muddy asked OH and I dont know). are in the wash. I need to get out my warm winter riding clothes and see if they still fit at the waist.

A (small) bucket list weekend for me.
On Friday I was about to hack on my own when another livery turned up so we went out for an hour together. Another livery L was competing on Saturday and wanted her mare exercised so I grabbed the chance for a short hack out on her too.

On Saturday I had offered to be groom for L at her BS show jumping competition. Her class was due to start at 10, but then they moved it to 9 o'clock and she was first in :( So it was a 6:40 arrival at the yard to give everybody breakfast and leave at 7:30. The class was the British Novice (90cm) and L had an unlucky pole down to finish 17th out of 23. We were back at the yard by 10 o'clock which gave time for a 2 hour hack in the afternoon.

Harvey has always been difficult to clip. In the past I have tried sedalin which made no difference at all and this year I tried Domosedan and this really worked well. I held him while YO and L clipped one side each so he was done in 25 minutes :)

Sunday was a SJ clinic with A and L. Sadly my OH/photographer was poorly so no photos. I was a bit annoyed because she always takes photos for the others, but their supporters didn't get any photos/videos for me. Anyway we had a great time - the venue has just bought new show jumps so we had fun with an 11 fence course. I nearly managed to fall off twice trying to sort out the line into the combi (which was a 1 stride double and then 3 strides to a vertical and was only about 4 strides from the fence which is a bit tight for Harvey who changes directions about as quickly as an ocean liner!)

Monday was the small bucket list event. We have a large local equestrian venue when in the early 80s I was pretty much there every weekend grooming for OH and others. I must have been there hundreds of times over the years but I've never ridden there. On Monday YO had hired it as part of her new horse's ongoing education and I got to take Harvey too :)

As you can see I had the hardest job :)
IMG_2075-X2.jpg

Hacking
3 hours 30
12 miles

Schooling
1 hour 15

Totals
Schooling
27 hours 5

Hacking
411 miles
127 hours 35

A (small) bucket list weekend for me.
On Friday I was about to hack on my own when another livery turned up so we went out for an hour together. Another livery L was competing on Saturday and wanted her mare exercised so I grabbed the chance for a short hack out on her too.

On Saturday I had offered to be groom for L at her BS show jumping competition. Her class was due to start at 10, but then they moved it to 9 o'clock and she was first in :( So it was a 6:40 arrival at the yard to give everybody breakfast and leave at 7:30. The class was the British Novice (90cm) and L had an unlucky pole down to finish 17th out of 23. We were back at the yard by 10 o'clock which gave time for a 2 hour hack in the afternoon.

Harvey has always been difficult to clip. In the past I have tried sedalin which made no difference at all and this year I tried Domosedan and this really worked well. I held him while YO and L clipped one side each so he was done in 25 minutes :)

Sunday was a SJ clinic with A and L. Sadly my OH/photographer was poorly so no photos. I was a bit annoyed because she always takes photos for the others, but their supporters didn't get any photos/videos for me. Anyway we had a great time - the venue has just bought new show jumps so we had fun with an 11 fence course. I nearly managed to fall off twice trying to sort out the line into the combi (which was a 1 stride double and then 3 strides to a vertical and was only about 4 strides from the fence which is a bit tight for Harvey who changes directions about as quickly as an ocean liner!)

Monday was the small bucket list event. We have a large local equestrian venue when in the early 80s I was pretty much there every weekend grooming for OH and others. I must have been there hundreds of times over the years but I've never ridden there. On Monday YO had hired it as part of her new horse's ongoing education and I got to take Harvey too :)

As you can see I had the hardest job :)
IMG_2075-X2.jpg

Hacking
3 hours 30
12 miles

Schooling
1 hour 15

Totals
Schooling
27 hours 5

Hacking
411 miles
127 hours 35
Shame they didn't get pics for you :(

• Sad
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Its not a major thing - I was just a bit sad when they were posting their videos and I didn't have one to post. I suppose we should be happy to get anything - we have virtually nothing from when my OH used to ride as video cameras were big and expensive then
Yes you are right, I have hardly any photos of my riding lessons as an adult - and they were not that long ago (2003) even though there were videos on phones, it just didn't seem as normal to film or take pics then. Things have changed. But back in the 80's even more unusual really. Lol I have hardly any photos of mr trews and me from then! ( But sounds like you had a good weekend anyway. )

I’m actually quite chuffed with Robin. We had planned to go out with a friend. However her mare was upset as some dogs, she dosnt ride very often (it’s her daughters pony) and this scared her and she said she didn’t want to ride. I told her Robin wasn’t worried and while he buffs and puffs he is actually very good and will go past anything. I suggested we just walked to the end of the drive and could come back if she wanted. She was still unsure but agreed to walk her horse in hand and see what happened. I told Robin he couldn’t power walk and had to act as barrier. Got half way down the road and there is a handy Boulder and friend agreed pony had settled and she would try getting on. I positioned Robin on the other side to block her in and he didn’t budge a muscle while she got on, realised stirrups too long and sorted them etc.

They were both very good but we just stayed on the road and did a loop as she was a bit worried about fields. I get that worry and it was actually nice to just amble along stopping to let her catch up. Friend was pleased with herself that she did get on and nothing bad happened.

I have promised Robin he can have a canter round the field tomorrow 😊

About the clipping. I watched Michael Peace, at a demo, clip the face of a Police Horse which would not be clipped and there is a (very slow be warned) DVD somewhere, maybe on line, on him desensitising a horse to clippers.

I wanted to do this for my old share out in the school, but the owner RI wouldnt let me,. She feared I might get hurt.The time element is very important.
Rashid says that it takes a horse 13 minutes to process something but most humans will onl wait 9 minutes.

It really isn’t rocket science. It just takes time and staying calm. Robin used to need knocked out with either iv or dormosedan (sedalin also dosnt work for him) and now will stand loose to be clipped. The same happened with Minto. Get your own clippers so you can do 10 min sessions with no stress to get everything done. I literally started turning clippers on at the door and nothing more. Perhaps I should also bring out a dvd.

The Domosedan is strong stuff I have found. It really knocked Chloe out a few years ago - she'd got her feathers needing clipping off properly to get at the awful mess underneath and wouldn't tolerate the clippers (don't blame her at all as it was sore for her). Wow. Started off and we thought it hadn't made much impression. But after about twenty minutes - voom. She was almost falling down (was thinking at one point I'd need to put fingers in her ears to shock her into waking up!!!). Anyway it lasted a good while too. Can't give it her now - she's too old and we don't tend to need to get the feathers off so much these days since discovering Multi Mite powder.

About the clipping. I watched Michael Peace, at a demo, clip the face of a Police Horse which would not be clipped and there is a (very slow be warned) DVD somewhere, maybe on line, on him desensitising a horse to clippers
I think he might be ticklish. I can wave the clippers all round him and he is fine, and I can do his head and sides, but anywhere near his chest and he starts striking out. I now have access to small smaller quieter and less vibraty clippers so what I might do is try reclipping him with them a bit at a time(he won't actually need it, but to desensitize him)

There is an iphone app for clippers which makes the phone vibrate and makes the noise and YO used that to perpare her new horse for clipping which seemed to work

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
newrider.com