2021 Hacking and Riding

Freeeezing here! -1 when I got to the yard, and hasn't got above 2°c yet. But had a lovely ride, with a very willing Hogan - he wanted to warm up too! It was misty and frosty, and quieter than I expected, now the other inclosure is closed. I preened when a couple admired Hogan, and commented on how well behaved he was - didn't tell them about his evil side - I decided to enjoy the moment! 😉 Screenshot_20211124-133458_Gallery.jpg

An all too exciting weekend.
On Friday I took our new livery on the nice bridleway hack - it was a really nice day for it.

On Saturday morning I was supposed to be grooming again for one of the liverys for a SJ competition. Sadly we didn't get there. After leaving the yard at 7:30 her car broke down leaving us sat on the side of the M6. We couldn't get hold of anyone on the phone (101 etc) so in the end dialed 999 and the police sent the Highways Agency people out. They were brilliant - they towed the trailer to the next service station, and the car separately to the next layby (still on the motorway). Our YO came and fetched the horse and rider, I stayed with the car and livery's dad came out and patched it up enough to get it off the motorway. Livery has now bought a new car!!

Saturday afternoon was a nice hack on my own and then on Sunday a play in the school.
On Monday I went with YO again to hire an indoor school for practice for her youngster. This time we jumped a round at 80/90. Harvey was very spooky and didn't want to go near any of the walls and there was a sunny bit on the floor which was especially dangerous. This turned out to be important in my round as when he saw it he veered off making it impossible to get to the next fence (it looks innocuous in the video, but it didn't feel it!)

Video of first bit of the round

Second bit of round

Totals
Schooling
28 hours

Hacking
421 miles
130 hours 35

Lovely hack it’s a friend today. Out for 1 hr 40. Robin could have done it in an hour but flickas legs are shorter and she dosnt do rushing about. She is also 5 and just rolled her eyes at Robin when he spooked and was dramatic. We timed it wrong though coming back at primary school finishing time. One little biy leapt off his bike letting it crash to the ground and run up to stroke Robins nose!
This is perfectly acceptable to robin. Also let a dog off lead who wouldn’t go back to owner and just kept bouncing towards the horses. This is also fine. But good grief there was a fallen branch at the side of the track 😂

An all too exciting weekend.
On Friday I took our new livery on the nice bridleway hack - it was a really nice day for it.

On Saturday morning I was supposed to be grooming again for one of the liverys for a SJ competition. Sadly we didn't get there. After leaving the yard at 7:30 her car broke down leaving us sat on the side of the M6. We couldn't get hold of anyone on the phone (101 etc) so in the end dialed 999 and the police sent the Highways Agency people out. They were brilliant - they towed the trailer to the next service station, and the car separately to the next layby (still on the motorway). Our YO came and fetched the horse and rider, I stayed with the car and livery's dad came out and patched it up enough to get it off the motorway. Livery has now bought a new car!!

Saturday afternoon was a nice hack on my own and then on Sunday a play in the school.
On Monday I went with YO again to hire an indoor school for practice for her youngster. This time we jumped a round at 80/90. Harvey was very spooky and didn't want to go near any of the walls and there was a sunny bit on the floor which was especially dangerous. This turned out to be important in my round as when he saw it he veered off making it impossible to get to the next fence (it looks innocuous in the video, but it didn't feel it!)

Video of first bit of the round

Second bit of round

Totals
Schooling
28 hours

Hacking
421 miles
130 hours 35
I think you carried that off rather well! It looked VERY spooky, what with the shadows looking like poles on the ground and sun streaming in straight at you!

Havent added anything here for a couple of weeks. Nothing to report really. Chunkys rider is still coming to ride at the weekends. Weve done a couple of road rides. Me on the bike. Tried to avoid him being cantered too much. Although physio said it was fine. I thought his back still felt quite tight so road hacks ment we could avoid temptation to canter and uneven tracks. Plus the new cows have been turned out on the hill. Little rider would not ride through them the other week and had to detour off the main path. They are so big and rather frightening with gigantic horns. So shes asked if we can avoid hacking past them. Too be honest even i was not happy cycling past one with big horns. It certainly didnt want to move out my way and when i challenged it i could see it giving me the eye. If i challenged my cows they would just move, this thing just stood, which made me question if she'd ridden past with chunky, what would it have done.

Ive been doing a little bit of clicker training with poles and cones during the weekdays if i have time before work. Billy is having trouble staying connected with me and ends up running off across the field to eat grass. I will need to fence the area to help keep him more focused on me. At the moment i dont feel my sessions are very productive more backwards. I expect im not breaking it down enough and rewarding his tries. But equally ive noticed hes getting grabby my hands.

I keep chipping in on this thread but nothing of my own to report. There is either not enough time to do something with Zi due to work pressure, or the weather being foul. It's started too early and I do feel cheated. I'm having a couple of days off, but this morning's sleet was enough to put any thoughts of doing much with him out of my mind. Tomorrow will be a force 10 for most of the day and night, so that's a no no. Why does the weather go pear shaped when I have time off work then?!!!!

Best feeling ever. The field with the hill behind the yard. Ground is perfect. Pointed up the hill and let him canter. Checked I could slow down and almost could so let him go. He just flies. It feels so powerful and balanced and just effortless. He always pulls up at the top but not a stride before 😂. He has been so good recently he deserved it.

Played early this am low key.

Then rode this afternoon .
Sonny was a good boy.
I had forgotten one of the Christmas hats in the arena so we played touch it with that and the cones.
I also set a cone patterns in my mind and rode them.
I also worked on backup with no reins.
HE WAS AWESOME.

The advantage horsemanship bit less halter does actually give me a bit more precise finesse than the beaded side pull.

Its a shame the really nice day this week had to fall on Thanksgiving.
Toni had family commitments so she couldn't play.
Tomorrow is going to rain.

20211125_135348.jpg

20211125_135601.jpg

20211125_140911.jpg

Well, it would be easier to list the challenges we didn't face today! First, there was a 5% chance of rain - yes, we got that 5% the minute we set off. Then met a chap with a gorgeous, very lively cocker puppy, on a long lead, who he let bounce around 6 inches from Hogan's back legs - Hogan was great, stood like a rock, but I had to warn him that was not a wise way to introduce pup to horses. Next, some ponies to go through - who proceeded to have a silly 5 minutes as we wove our way through - again, good lad. Some lovely trots around the tracks, and head home. More ponies on the steep hill down to the gate - had to go through them as they hid in the bushes. At last we were on the track home. Got to the houses, and a red triangle announcing tree cutting in progress. Hogan was horrified by the guy rustling around in the branches (dangling a long rope (snake)). Did a bit of sidling and leg buckling but got past. Finally, a totally unaware workman threw a tarp out of their van - Hogan's head exploded at that point, but he settled so well, as soon as the man spoke to apologise. Never been so glad to get back! Extra carrot for the bravest little cob in Hampshire.

Well, it would be easier to list the challenges we didn't face today! First, there was a 5% chance of rain - yes, we got that 5% the minute we set off. Then met a chap with a gorgeous, very lively cocker puppy, on a long lead, who he let bounce around 6 inches from Hogan's back legs - Hogan was great, stood like a rock, but I had to warn him that was not a wise way to introduce pup to horses. Next, some ponies to go through - who proceeded to have a silly 5 minutes as we wove our way through - again, good lad. Some lovely trots around the tracks, and head home. More ponies on the steep hill down to the gate - had to go through them as they hid in the bushes. At last we were on the track home. Got to the houses, and a red triangle announcing tree cutting in progress. Hogan was horrified by the guy rustling around in the branches (dangling a long rope (snake)). Did a bit of sidling and leg buckling but got past. Finally, a totally unaware workman threw a tarp out of their van - Hogan's head exploded at that point, but he settled so well, as soon as the man spoke to apologise. Never been so glad to get back! Extra carrot for the bravest little cob in Hampshire.
Heck that's an awful lot going on - specially the tarp being whizzed out! Good lad Hogan anyway, you both got back home in one piece.

We were out for a hack the other day. Met a dog walker with a dog off lead. Dog would not come back. I had stopped robin but dog kept jumping up at him and sort of dashing forward towards us. Dog was playing rather than aggressive but owner could not get it back. I said to Walker after a few minutes that if the dog made contact the horse would kick. He still couldn’t get the dog back. Robin was brilliant and just stood but the other horse behind us was getting upset. Dog was now barking and jumping towards robin. I again repeated “he will kick”. Eventually I said “will your dog follow if we turn round?” “Probably” was the answer. So I thought sod that the dog can get kicked and turned round to try and help the other horse. Of course the dog followed before owner eventually managed to catch it!

Today went like this
“I will have a lovely long hack round the village”
To
“I will ride along the bottom track and back”
To
“I will nip down the back track and through the field”
To
“Good grief it is cold out here. Here is your tea and a cosier rug and I’ll see you tomorrow Robin”
🥶

newrider.com