2021 Hacking and Riding

Best boy again. A friend and her daughter invited me to share an arena hire with them. They had set up a dressage arena in the big indoor which they hire out occasionally. Her horse is just as dramatic as Robin and very similar in how he holds himself and looks like.

Robin thought this an excellent idea and decided I was taking too long to get ready so he left his stable and set off without me!

Itā€™s only 30mins away. He has been there many times but only ever jumping and so over 2 years ago. And now I think bout it his last trip there was not a happy one.

He was being a show off and set off in front of friends horse from the car park. Then he lost his nerve walking in. The doorway had lots of jumps stacked each side. So he spun 180 and pretty well jumped on Ty! I was very close to hitting the deck but thought no way was that happening before I even got IN the place! So he decided scuttling in after Ty (who was being led) was the way to go.

After his physio visit I was told to stop babying him as there is nothing wrong with him. It is lovely he is having a jolly time but he does also have to listen to me and stop spooking! So I decided to ask more from him.

Well he worked amazingly. I didnā€™t want to get off. If someone had said ā€œhere is an elementary test go and do itā€ I would have given it a go. He worked solidly and hard for 25mins and was just starting to get tired.

I also had his dressage saddle on which helped immensely and I was sitting up straight.

Ty is just as spooky but luckily they chose different times to be dramatic and neither were upset about the other having a moment.

He was very happy with himself again.

Just aaaahhh. šŸ˜šŸ˜Š

Set off for a decent ride round the village. Discovered the road from yard was icey. I hadnā€™t noticed driving up. Decided to change plan and go along the lane as that is where he wanted to go. The small amount of tarmac I discovered was even icier. So we turned and came home. Went in to the big field on the yard thinking we would just walk round but found that it wasnā€™t frozen. So we spent 20 mins solid trot and canter. He is getting fitter and was a bit sweaty but not tired.

He is very predictable tho. Trotting round the corner nearest the gate he pointed out we had gone round and therefore could we not just go that way and go back for tea. I had just thought ā€œI wonder what he will ā€œspookā€ at so he can spin round?ā€ Sure enough we got a ā€œspookā€ and spin. There is a log for people to jump, of course never in his career of being an eventer has he ever seen a log. And he had certainly never seen that log (he has, without drama). Told that was not acceptable. So he tried again. And again told not acceptable. Hhhmm he thinks, tries again with a very half hearted attempt and gives up. He really needs to think of new moves and up the surprise level šŸ˜‚

VERY cold and windy today, and almost didn't go out. However, Hogan is pretty good with the wind, if a bit "alert". Very willing, and trotted forward nicely when asked. Despite the cold, a bit sweaty when we got home. I know I've posted almost identical pics to this, but it's my favourite stance atm, and I cant resist when I'm checking his stirrups are level.Screenshot_20211205-202851_Gallery.jpg

Another aaaahhhh ride. All lovely. Went out for a plod with his buddy the eventer. His buddy is the same height and so we only had to stop a few times to let him catch up. So much more sociable ride when you are side by side rather than trying to talk over your shoulder! We pootled in walk on a loose rein the whole way. He even forgot to spook! We did get caught in the rain but he didnā€™t even grumble šŸ˜‚ us riders did tho!

Just a couple of road rides over the weekend for Chunky. I was foot solider and walked the 2.5 miles on Saturday and 3 miles on Sunday. Didn't want to risk to bike after my op last week. I actually enjoyed the walks but boy is my hip complaining today.

Billy is so bored doing nothing, the two boys are fighting when I get them into the tack up area. Normally I just have them loose in there. When they were both in work it was relatively calm theyd just chill eating out the haynets or stand admiring the view. Now Im playing with fire, watch the ears back, dodge the rush and bite each other. Billy has a habit of biting Chunky on the bum and I have to stay clear of leg shots from Chunkys back leg.
Leave one in the field and theres separation anxiety and they charge round. Particularly Billy. Obviously not sensible to leave him out to charge round when hes already severely lame.
Think Im going to have to start walking Billy out in hand. Did try this on Thursday when the farrier was doing Chunky. Billy was on his toes when he saw the new cows theyve turned out on the hill. He was ready to spin round and tank off. I was trying to stay positive and calm, quite tricky as Ive been run over by Billy previously. I was actual bricking it.
Neither of the boys are impressed with the cows, They never batted an eye at my cows grazing the other side of the fence, but both have bolted off across the field a couple of times in the last when the cows were walking on the footpath directly adjacent to there paddock. The one day I was just putting hay out, cow appears and both boys almost ran me over as they charged away.
Chunkys eyes were on stalks and he planted both days when he came face to face with them when we went out for his hack. He looked quite elegant with his head up, gazing at them. I stayed calm and tried not to convey to his rider that I was waiting for him to spook and spin. Fortunately he didnt.

A bit of clicker training with Billy this morning. I semi fixed his lack of connection peeing off across the field issue. Had to take my white tape down from the other field where I have the jumps normally set up. Cows need to graze the area soon, so I put the tape up to make a round pen around the cones. Dont think he was too impressed but Ive had enough of trying to retrieve him from across the field. So Im going to work him in a smaller area for now. Ive been watching videos on how to connect with him better and will try the tips out when I am not doing a rushed play session.

Just a couple of road rides over the weekend for Chunky. I was foot solider and walked the 2.5 miles on Saturday and 3 miles on Sunday. Didn't want to risk to bike after my op last week. I actually enjoyed the walks but boy is my hip complaining today.

Billy is so bored doing nothing, the two boys are fighting when I get them into the tack up area. Normally I just have them loose in there. When they were both in work it was relatively calm theyd just chill eating out the haynets or stand admiring the view. Now Im playing with fire, watch the ears back, dodge the rush and bite each other. Billy has a habit of biting Chunky on the bum and I have to stay clear of leg shots from Chunkys back leg.
Leave one in the field and theres separation anxiety and they charge round. Particularly Billy. Obviously not sensible to leave him out to charge round when hes already severely lame.
Think Im going to have to start walking Billy out in hand. Did try this on Thursday when the farrier was doing Chunky. Billy was on his toes when he saw the new cows theyve turned out on the hill. He was ready to spin round and tank off. I was trying to stay positive and calm, quite tricky as Ive been run over by Billy previously. I was actual bricking it.
Neither of the boys are impressed with the cows, They never batted an eye at my cows grazing the other side of the fence, but both have bolted off across the field a couple of times in the last when the cows were walking on the footpath directly adjacent to there paddock. The one day I was just putting hay out, cow appears and both boys almost ran me over as they charged away.
Chunkys eyes were on stalks and he planted both days when he came face to face with them when we went out for his hack. He looked quite elegant with his head up, gazing at them. I stayed calm and tried not to convey to his rider that I was waiting for him to spook and spin. Fortunately he didnt.

A bit of clicker training with Billy this morning. I semi fixed his lack of connection peeing off across the field issue. Had to take my white tape down from the other field where I have the jumps normally set up. Cows need to graze the area soon, so I put the tape up to make a round pen around the cones. Dont think he was too impressed but Ive had enough of trying to retrieve him from across the field. So Im going to work him in a smaller area for now. Ive been watching videos on how to connect with him better and will try the tips out when I am not doing a rushed play session.
Horses really are the daftest animals on God's green earth - first in the queue for looks, right at the back for brains. :rolleyes:

Did some play on sunday online Sunday.
Just low key.
Then let him have some nibbles in front of the Christmas decorations.

Yesterday was REALLY Really hot
Almost 60f with horrible winds .
It sucked your breath away.
They are still nasty but thankfully
we didn't loose power.
Todat will still be windy but not quite as bad and its much colder.

We have snow due tomorrow but the
Weather people on the news have been very closed mouth as to how much..
THATS NEVER GOOD.

Hope fully the 430 am news will finally give an idea to the amount.

20211205_113649.jpg

20211205_114409.jpg

20211205_115148.jpg

20211205_115340.jpg

I hope they are not wrong with the snow..

At dawn when I went out it was DEAD CALM.

It was still supposed to be Very windy.

I am happy it WAS nice and calm.

Now if they are wrong AND WE DON'T GET ANY..

I would certainly take that.

Reactions: Huggy
Well I was very lucky today. It rained as I drove to the yard, stopped as I arrived, got Hogan ready and out, stayed dry, then it rained and has rained since I left! It's very windy again, but he was pretty good, and still lovely and forward. Met the crazy puppy again, this time as we went through the houses on the way home. He couldn't catch it, so I stood and waited, as if it had followed me, it would have been near the main road. Then HE got irritable with ME and said "she won't follow, you can go" - sure thing sparky - of course I had to stop again. :rolleyes:

So I did ride again even though it is winter and two years since I rode through the winter. How odd to squeeze into all my heavy clothes.

Lovely lady in charge told me to pretend Ella was mine and do with her just as I like so there was no obligation to go the whole route. We wandered in the drizzle through an almost deserted copper coloured landscape and she couldnt believe her luck when I told her we could turn home early. I put her though a little backing and turning routine so she wouldnt assume she could repeat this another time by napping. And we then had the most convincing long powerful canter because I had not got tired and she couldnt believe her luck that we were heading home.

It is lovely that some of you rack up the miles. But at my old yard i would sometimes go on a shorter Granny ride and that is what we did today.

So I did ride again even though it is winter and two years since I rode through the winter. How odd to squeeze into all my heavy clothes.

Lovely lady in charge told me to pretend Ella was mine and do with her just as I like so there was no obligation to go the whole route. We wandered in the drizzle through an almost deserted copper coloured landscape and she couldnt believe her luck when I told her we could turn home early. I put her though a little backing and turning routine so she wouldnt assume she could repeat this another time by napping. And we then had the most convincing long powerful canter because I had not got tired and she couldnt believe her luck that we were heading home.

It is lovely that some of you rack up the miles. But at my old yard i would sometimes go on a shorter Granny ride and that is what we did today.
I don't rack up many miles these days! I used to go out for 2,3,4 hours on Ramsey, but nowadays I'm happy to pootle round the forest inclosure, and be back after an hour. Seems to suit Hogan too.

Back to 3 day weekends for me as I have run out of holiday - I had quite got used to riding 4 days a week.

Friday was cold but bright so Harvey and I had a nice hack on our own. Saturday was very windy so A and I just hacked for an hour. Sunday was (surprise!!) a SJ clinic. It was only 3c - not my favourite. Harvey was in runaway train mode - very keen to jump and run very fast! We worked at 90cm to 100cm. My round was a bit like a comedy of errors. First it took me 3 goes to get to the first fence as Harvey spotted some dressage boards at the side of the arena and kept swerving away from them. Then we got faster and faster which resulted in rolling a pole because we got too flat. And then finally I got lost at the last 2 fences (not unusual for me). Great fun though.

I thought I wouldn't be doing too much more jumping before Spring but I now have 7 clinics booked between now and the end of March.

Harvey being exuberant (and leaving me behind a bit)
PC053152-X2.jpg

PC053165-X2.jpg

A bit more under control
PC053289-X2.jpg

PC053319-X2.jpg

This bit went well - 1 stride double then 3 strides to a vertical
PC053186-X2.jpg

Hacking
8 miles
2 hours 30

Schooling
45 minutes