2021 Hacking and Riding

Another very short ride tonight. Not a pleasant one either. Silly sod had his spooky hat on tonight. Barely got out the gate and he was looking at something. Frozen to the spot. Walk on. Cant mum. Walk on. Okay. Thats scary mum. Cant take it mum im off, cue spin round 180. I turned him straight back towards whatever it was and insisted he walk on.
Came to the conclusion he was looking at the white fence reeler that was hanging on my garden gate. Its been hanging on there all summer. Its for the wire ive got up round the lawn for them to go in to graze off. Hes hacked past i dont know how many times and walked right close past it when ive put them in through the garden gate to graze. Just decided today to be an idiot.
I know he doesnt like white objects, but to spook at it after seeing it all summer. The only other change is that ive ridden him out these past few days without his fly mask on. Now the days are cloudy hes not headshaking as bad so i decided to not put it on to ride. But his been past for a couple of rides already this week and not one spook. I can only think it looks strange seeing it without a mask on.
The rest of the ride he was just looking for things to spook himself. Mind one spook i will let him off for. There was a big deer in the paddock. It was huge and utterly gorgeous. It was actually only 30ft from us. Stood looking at us. I made billy stop so it didnt give him an excuse to spook and tried to get my phone out to take a shot. But it just sauntered off casually into the wood that was next to it. I asked Billy to walk on and as we got level to where it had stood Billy starts looking to see if it was there. Hes then looking round to check it wasnt behind us.
God they're the most idiotic animals on God's green earth! That was a " I got back in one piece" ride!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Robin is also one that will walk past something a million times before then suddenly decide it’s horrific. He never stops tho, he snorts loudly and bananas past as far away as possible, usually while I say “don’t even look at it and you will be fine”.

Stubble fields are being cut. And I want to ride. And he is still on box rest. I am spending a lot of time sat outside his stable to give him some company. I did smile yesterday tho as every time I looked at him he whickered. Another livery said “he really loves you dosnt he”.

Andi was never spooky.
But she would use it as an excuse to be bratty.
The world could end and no reaction.
If she wanted to be a brat...the leaf over there would do just fine.
I've said somewhere in another thread - it won't be covid, or a mad axeman that will be the death of me - it'll be a squirrel or a pigeon met on a hack.

Traffic cones eat horses. There were 2 at the bottom on the road. After a while he just kept his eye on them and huffed at them on the way past with marginally less drama. THEN one of them had fallen over dun dun duuuuunnnn…..

Is this the right thread? I just had one of the best rides of my life.

I bought new reins for Ella, identical to ones on my old long-term share.
Leather, so they are slippy in one's hands and there is nothing for the horse to lean on. The result was that Ella suddenly didnt lean, moved nicely with her hind legs and became sensitive to tiny touches of the rein. Particularly to divert her from snackng. With the right reins, her mouth is not like leather as I had assumed. She went so like my old share that Iaccidentally called her by the wrong name once.
We covered most of one of my previous favourite RS summer hacks and I hope to ride the other half with her next week. And insert the canters.
I got back very tired and stiff but I am no longer young, even when riding.

For me this raised a question, as I pointed out to YM. I am a RS rider. I ride in the tack I am given. But it seems I could transform the mare and up the level of my riding her, just by buying her new reins.

Glad it was an awesome ride Skib.

Lol the right equipment MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE.

I just had some REALLY good travelling circles.

Heads and tails above yesterdays.
The more appropriate line for the area i was using made a huge difference.

He also was more in tune to what I wanted which didnt hurt either.

Doodle92 I have traffic cones all over the place here .Lol I'd be in big trouble if they were bothered.

Reactions: Skib and GaryB
Is this the right thread? I just had one of the best rides of my life.

I bought new reins for Ella, identical to ones on my old long-term share.
Leather, so they are slippy in one's hands and there is nothing for the horse to lean on. The result was that Ella suddenly didnt lean, moved nicely with her hind legs and became sensitive to tiny touches of the rein. Particularly to divert her from snackng. With the right reins, her mouth is not like leather as I had assumed. She went so like my old share that Iaccidentally called her by the wrong name once.
We covered most of one of my previous favourite RS summer hacks and I hope to ride the other half with her next week. And insert the canters.
I got back very tired and stiff but I am no longer young, even when riding.

For me this raised a question, as I pointed out to YM. I am a RS rider. I ride in the tack I am given. But it seems I could transform the mare and up the level of my riding her, just by buying her new reins.
Great to hear! I wonder if this is similar to my finding Hogan goes forward better if I loosen the contact?

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Great to hear! I wonder if this is similar to my finding Hogan goes forward better if I loosen the contact?
Yes, I think so. At one point to allow her the freedom, I let her walk with the new rein almost at the buckle. But to ride with a long rein in a wide open space, one really needs to know the horse. I did it hesitantly and only when no pedestrians or dogs were near. The rein I bought was fulllength but seems short on her.
The question of contact is interesting. Because I learned without tension on the contact and when I went for dressage lessons at another RS , the RI said it was fine. The point of the contact is to move the hind legs well, and if the horse is already doing that, then benefit from the forward motion rather than block it.

Which is what it sounds as if your are describing with Hogan?

Last edited:
Yes, I think so. At one point to allow her the freedom, I let her walk with the new rein almost at the buckle. But to ride with a long rein in a wide open space, one really needs to know the horse. I did it hesitantly and only when no pedestrians or dogs were near. The rein I bought was fulllength but seems short on her.
The question of contact is interesting. Because I learned without tension on the contact and when I went for dressage lessons at another RS , the RI said it was fine. The point of the contact is to move the hind legs well, and if the horse is already doing that, then benefit from the forward motion rather than block it.

Which is what it sounds as if your are describing with Hogan?
Yes, the difference in his trot is remarkable - it really flows, and when he decides to try slowing and walking (which he does - a lot!) It's much easier to keep him going. My mistake - I rode Ramsey a certain way for 20 odd years, and didn't take into account Hogan is a very different proposition! Silly really - as parents, we adapt our methods to our children's different personalities, but I didn't think to do that with my horse. :rolleyes:

I was taught always to relax my hands when asking for a forward (upwards) transition. Relaxing my hands did not mean lengthening the reins. Our lessons were mostly in walk. Short side of school: sit up, close fingers and use leg. Long side of the school relax hands and seat to get longer strides.

Hold the reins lke cradling a newly hatched chicken, our RI always said. Out hacking I do relax my hands when asking for trot. But like yours, Ella needs leg every stride to keep trotting and much the same in canter. I think it may be a safety thing. If I dont use leg she transitions down and I have not yet got her how I like it, with ME asking for downward transitions. Her needing leg all the time means I come back with very tired legs. She stumbled once yesterday, in walk, not having the rein to lean on. I used to blame my riding for this, but yesterday she learned there was nothing to lean on and she didnt trip again.

My legs are still tired today.

Well today's ride was a game of 2 halves. His walk was SOOOO slow, that I lost it and gave him such a wallop - he wasn't listening to me at all. It kind of worked. I hate really smacking him, and especially in anger. But then a rider went by behind us, and he didn't flinch AND trotted up well going home. Feel very guilty.😩

• Wow
Reactions: GaryB
I'm sure he won't hold a grudge.

I didn't play yesterday the air was very heavy.

I haven't seen b52,s for 3 days hmmm
Maybe its coming to the end.

We are getting the remnants of Fred today so no play. Just heavy rain.

Please send NO HENRI STORM VIBES.

It was supposed to curl away out to sea well away from here but every forecast is putting it closer...ugh. some spagetti models right over us.

It will make its pass late Sunday.
Lots can change for the better
OR THE WORSE.

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com