2021 Hacking and Riding

I dont usually ride on a Friday. The yard is so busy and someone said she had already done 3 hours. Can that be true? So we went out mostly in walk with OH on foot beside us, which I had not done before (slow slow) and walking his route which the mare doesnt know. She looked about her with so much interest, pausing now and then to survey the landscape. We did some leisurely trotting now and then to loosen me up and a gentle canter up the final stretch home.

Lovely morning - not too stuffy and hot. Hogan was quite perky, even managed a very energetic spook (at nothing). Such a mellow boy now - we chatted with a family, and the little girl wanted to pet him - I was able to say yes, without my heart in my mouth! She thought he was lovely, and I should put ribbons in his mane and he'd look even better.Screenshot_20210926-125319_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20210926-125339_Photos.jpg

Well no hacking for me obviously. Last weekend chunkys rider did jumps on the Saturday and then on the Sunday i walked out with her on our 4 miler. Normally it would be fine but ive had this bloomin hip pain since February. So ive obviously not run either. I have this hip pain normal day to day now. I survived the walk but it certainly irritated it. It also means i cant kep up for her to have trots and canters.
So this week chunkys little rider brought me up a bike to ride. Her dads into bikes as it happens. My old bike is a bit broken so i havent been able to use it for years. They told me at the repair shop that to repair it was more than the bike was worth so ive not bothered. Ive wanted to get back on a bike for some years so i could bike to some of my work jobs to keep me fit but then with my hip and hamstring there didnt seem much point. Anyway this has given me an opportunity to find out if it was still possible without spending out on a bike just to find out i couldnt with the pains. So yesterday i cycled out on our 4 mile route. I was abit wobbly to start with but soon remembered how. My only real problem was the saddle was a bit uncomfortable for me so yes you guessed it im saddle sore today.
Chunky was a bit sweaty when we got back so he got a nice shampoo off.
So this morning i got chunky in and clipped him. Whilst there wasnt loads on there it certainly made a difference to being ridden. We took chunky out after and i got to bike out again. He was only sweaty under the saddle area so im happy. It should lso help with his weight a bit more.
Ouch my pin bones are certainly sore from yesterday. As soon as i sat in the saddle i knew it was painful. We did a 3 mileish hack today. I was better on the bike today but now my poor legs are aching. It just goes to show that even riding a horse regularly doesnt set you up to ride a bike. It uses completely different muscles. At least my hip is ok. So i shall have to see about investing in a bike now. But boy do i miss riding my horse. Its only been two weeks and i really miss it already.

I am sorry about all these aches and pains and hip problems. I dont think I have the balance to ride a bike these days. At least a horse has a leg at four corners. But might you be OK on a narrower horse or a taller one?
I was saying to OH as we walked this morning that people think it a sort of achievement still to be riding in old age. But it isnt. Canter doesnt feel any different now from 10 years ago. It is just a question of having the right shaped horse.
Our RI also mentioned moderation - she was referring to canter, but I found that true in trot. Can you save your hips a bit by not rising so strongly? I am obliged to hack a complete circular route on Ella and the first time I did this I did masses of energetic trot as I was still scared to canter her out on our own. My hips were awful the next day.
So now I tell her she has to keep trotting with just a tiny rise from me and without a leg aid every step. I did this by waving my whip in the air a bit. Completely senseless and not what one is taught. But she got the message. Ella by the way is a horse in the prime of life and very fit. I would not ask her to trot on if she were old and tired.
But it was my bike that did for my knees and hips. Have you consulted the GP?

I haven’t been on here much this year. Today I am drowning in tears that just won’t stop, I am letting my beautiful Kincardine Melody go over Rainbow Bridge and my heart is breaking as I write this post.

We will never share our fun hacking, riding or concours showing adventures with you all again. She is going far to young but I know it’s right for her. I will carry on hacking her in my dreams and have the most special memories made with her.

I let her go with a big chunk of my heart today with the hole that big it will never be filled. Melody will go knowing I have loved her since the day I was offered her on loan. And I will be right there with her so she’s not alone.

Several years ago now I started the hacking and riding Threads and you lot have joined in and kept them going. I am a proud member of this wonderful supportive forum.

But Melody and me loved this thread the most of all on the forum. So here I will say my goodbyes to her and she will take me part of my heart hacking over the bridge.

Goodbye to the sweetest, safest, cheekiest Highland pony I have ever had the pleasure to own. We shared many journeys together my love and that will continue today and forever ❤️😢💔

My soulmate & heart horse go hit the trails pain free I will be with you every step 💋😘
8E65AA2C-B02D-40CF-91D1-C5435B3E896A.jpeg8E65AA2C-B02D-40CF-91D1-C5435B3E896A.jpegA690AFB6-CE6F-4148-8588-AA22607FF530.jpeg71112DE4-F09D-42FA-9D76-F2F4992F6289.jpegC66B4C53-EE4A-431F-9249-4472D26EEF0B.jpeg7C9B401D-A898-4454-B34D-BFF728442141.jpeg75830214-6316-4B01-AB96-E58197FC4E3D.jpeg584674F3-5393-430A-A094-1D1B65FD39BF.jpegED2FBE5F-A0D3-4900-BF54-EAA4E4CF7FBE.jpeg2B626B94-A5FB-4E19-A252-AACF03341189.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm so sad for you - she is a beautiful soul, inside and out. Rest easy lovely girl.

Didn't end up doing any play yesterday despite it being nice day.

Went really early for yummy second cut candy hay when they opened.

Then I put Sonny in the cavaletti pen when I got back.
I had not shut the gate into the goats area
Before I could get to that gate
Sonny walked right thru to the goats area.
They were all inside sleepy time so I shut one night gate and one cross thru and left
Sonny in there.
A while later my husband calls me from his work shop a bunch of turkeys are walking down the driveway.
I go out they are crossing the side of the house to the front yard now im looking from the living room window
They oddly stop in their tracks hmmmm

Then they turn tail and take off
The 3 females that are here every day are chasing them off.

Another huge kerfuffle...
The huge bunch starts flying all over the place into trees and got really spread out.
Omg the screaming back and forth of them all.
They were separated all across the property
The goats slept thru it all.
Sonny didnt seem concerned but a little while later the guy diagonally across the street started shooting his high powered rifles and his VERY VERY LOUD CANNON.

AT THAT POINT WHY PUSH IT.

The 3 females seemed to have claimed this property lol.
Ugh Turkey season sigh starts friday
I hope if the others hang around a bit more the 3 girls are more tolerant.
There is hunting in George Washington forest across the street behind Virginia,s place and all the houses on that side.

20210926_105911.jpg20210926_114905.jpg20210926_115405.jpg20210926_115219.jpg

I don't think they even realized Sonny was out there.
But later when their gates were open again and they were up and out..lol they walked out looking around hmmmm
Something is different...
They are funny little guys.

Very wet overnight, and threatening this morning. Luck was on our side though, so managed a ride. Hogan was spooky - very unlike him, and eventually threw a mini tantrum when I didn't let him go the way He wanted to - still managed a good trot - had to get rid of that "energy" somehow! He's been on grass last couple of days, I think that's where it came from.

I finally got to ride! He was great and very up for it. In the past I would never have got straight on after 2 months off. He stood like a rock to get on and then power walked off down the road. Last time I rode we went in the big hay field. He tried to go there but we can’t get in now. He did his happy wuffling through his nose. Not sure how long we were out as my tracking didn’t work but must have been about 20mins. Of course we got some extra dramatic spooks but I would have been worried if he hadn’t 😂. It didn’t stop the marching though. Best feeling ever to be back on.

Glad luck was with you

No play or anything today.
Went to Walmart right after feeding and cleaning.
It almost seemed like it was going to be nice..
Just pulling in to put some clearance summer flowers for next year in the shed.
And my phone goes off w a severe weather alert.
I pull it up get out of the car look behind me.
EEK. a monster storm cell was chasing me home...behind me all the way
I barely got the flowers out and food inside before the storm kicked in really bad.
I worked quickly cause it was getting closer and louder by the second.
Its been that way all day.
We are supposed to go into a decent stretch of 50f in the am mid to high 60f
DURING the day..
ILL TAKE IT

The midwest has a nasty heat spell going on
Ugh 90 f
I hope it stays there

Shows how desperate I was as I couldn’t have cared if it was raining! I had resigned myself to the winter off but vet was so pleased with him and I am determined to enjoy ourselves when we can.

I just managed a quick in hand play with Zi, he was okay. Despite the bad note last time ended on! He really needs more of a routine, I need to push OH into doing a bit more with him. He enjoys it once he gets started! Lovely weather here today - really warm and sunny.

Another 4 day weekend for me - I could get used to this :)

Friday was a nice solo hack up onto the hill. On Saturday a hack with A including a couple of short canters. Sunday was some SJ practice for Harvey finishing with a 100cm oxer. We were due to take the horses out in the lorry for a hack on Monday but A had to get away early so we went an a nice hack that we don't often do because it involves crossing a busy road

Started with the easy option!
P9261324-X2.jpg

Before braving the oxer
P9261367-X2.jpg

Hacking
15 miles
5 hours

Schooling
30 minutes

Totals
Schooling
201hours 10