Am I & my friend the only one, or do others think that Body Protectors...

you dont have to replace your BP as it doesnt have a hard shell like a hat so nothing to compress against and is different material

Yep i think they restrict you.
I never wear one unless i have to for XC or something and then i use a race safe one which are the best i have found so far, would still rather not wear one

I always wear a BP. I have a racesafe and its amazing. I dont know I'm wearing it as its so flexible. I find I ride the same in or out of it, my instructor agrees that it causes no restriction in my movement. I have worn others in the past and they have been awful, restricted me terribly. I have fallen off in situations and landed on very stoney ground, the bruising to my back would have been extensive and considering I already have a bad back it would have been agony. The worst situation was with another brands BP "Jack Ellis" I think. I must admit I found it very restrictive and uncomfortable. I fell off and landed across a post and rail fence, was quite bad and left me in agony for wks. The back panel of my BP had actually been snapped in 2!! I sent it off to manafacturers and they found no fault, the BP had done its job and taken the impact. I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't been wearing it!!

If the BP rode up it doesnt fit!! Either to big or to long. It scares me how often I see children wearing the next size up and their parents say "they'll grow into it" A BP that is to big can ride up on impact, hit the base of your scull, in worst case senario it can break the neck, crack the scull, break your shoulders and kill you. Pls pls dont buy any protective riding gear to grow into, or because that size was on special offer....... Its ment to fit for a reason. Sorry to be a bit depressing but its really not worth a few pennies.:eek::p

Last edited:
I have the racesafe RS2000, they have the highest safety rating, the new inflatable vest things are out now as well, they look pretty good if you are doing some serious XC or something.

I didn't wear one till I got chucked off on the road by my lovely old TB, broke my scapula :eek:got a BP pretty much straight after that (well as soon as I could move my upper body enough to try one on)

Got a Mark Todd one to start off with but didn't get on with it (or rather my horse didn't get on with the velcro on it) so got a racesafe, very comfy.

Only use it for hacking and xc schooling etc. Can't SJ in it. Interestingly though my o/h rides better in his than without as it stops him from slouching.

I don't find mine restictive - had a job getting one too fit me, but the Airowears come in so many different fittings there was one that was okay, even if the velcro fastenings round the waist are too long!

However, I only wear mine for competing cross country (not XC training on my own), or jumping a horse that is a stopper, as it's just too hot otherwise, and I'd feel odd hacking out or doing flatwork in one. I know that's a completely rubbish reason, but hey.

Mine doesn't restrict my movement because it fits. In fact I would happily do a days yard work wearing it if need be (although to be honest I tend to take my hat and BP off for yard work!).

the only time i don't wear one is doing dressage, but i'm thinking about wearing it then because it feels wierd riding without it.

my sister had a nasty fall galloping and without a bp she would have at least broken her collar bone.

i don't think they restrict my movement at all, the only problem is that they're so hot!

I always wear one now, I used to have a horrible hot, and uncomfortable which makes my shoulders tip forward, but I have now got an airowear one which is cool and comfy. I used to not wear one but since starting pony club, pc camp etc and starting bigger jumps I always wear one. Cloud is reliable and I have only fallen off twice because I tipped forward jumping, but I would rather not risk it

newrider.com