black and brown???????

There is a photograph of a black and brown horse like that going around. I have a feeling it's been proved a fake though.

Genetically it's nigh on impossible. Horses have one basic colour gene; the extension gene. They have two copies of this gene; one from mum, one from dad. It's either 'switched on' for black (resulting in a black horse - genetic notation is E) or it's not (resulting in red, or chestnut - noted as e). One copy of teh gene switche don for black is enough to make a horse black, so blacks can be either Ee (one copy for black and one for red) or EE (two copies both switched on for black). The only real difference is that an EE black will never have chestnut foals, regardless of the other parent's colour.

There are then 'alleles' - which modify the base colour. One of these is bay - that restricts black pigment to the points. It only restricts it to the points though - in whichever form it takes (and it's believed that there may be up to four different variations of the bay gene) so couldn't cause black and brown on the body.

Then there's the alleles for patches - tobiano and overo. Both of thee cause areas of white pigment on the body - never another colour.

So... genetically, there's no grounds to believe a horse could ever be black and brown in that way. :)

I saw a picture of an almost tiger striped horse the other day, it had a base coat of brown with black stripes hanging from a dorsal stripe. The vertical stripes only went half way down the body. Is this possible, it certainly looked very different.

I saw a picture of an almost tiger striped horse the other day

You mean like this?
zeb.jpg

or this
zelda.jpg

And this is stunning
ZorseHeadStudy.jpg

They're zorses (zebra x horse) and absolutly stunning :D

can you ride those zorses?
zorse.jpg

For anyone who wants too go 'awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I WANT!', you have to have a look at this site. The pictures take a while to load, but well worth it :D

Is it just me, or do brindle horses look like Great Danes? :D

Great Dane:
brindlmo.jpg

Brindle Horse:
brindleroka.jpg

Or is that the other way around...

newrider.com