black and brown???????

rocketman said:
re: "My baby is a Pintaloosa!!!!"

Sunshine - your horse is a blanket appaloosa.

A pintaloosa is a combination of a paint or pinto, usually tobiano markings, and an appaloosa, either leopard or roaned markings overlaying the dark patches.

No.. actually he's not a blanket appaloosa... he's a pintaloosa... here is a pic of a horse that looks identical to his dam who is a pure Appaloosa:
Simon.jpg

And here is a pic of a horse that looks identical to his sire who is pure pinto:
Paint3.jpg

That truly is what his dam and sire look like... my boss bred them and helped deliver my horse himself.... so yes... he is a Pintaloosa....

Chev, from what i can see, Stan has got a dorsal stripe. :D If you look VERY carefully along his spine (on the pic of him being ridden) theres a very feint one. i think it may be less visable because hes so dark on his back. :D

can anyone else see what i can see?? - Stans dorsal stripe?? :confused::D

ponylover88 said:
Chev, from what i can see, Stan has got a dorsal stripe. :D If you look VERY carefully along his spine (on the pic of him being ridden) theres a very feint one. i think it may be less visable because hes so dark on his back. :D

can anyone else see what i can see?? - Stans dorsal stripe?? :confused::D

I THINK I can see what your talking about, but I think it might just be light reflecting off his back. I'm not too sure about that

ive never realy looked that closely, but will have a look tommorow and see if he has one!
what chev says makes sense though! i know his dad was black, but ive no idea about his mum.

this is a more reacent photo, but bare in mind that we were absolutely soaked to the skin in this one!
stancantermM.jpg
oh and one more thing, in both the ridden pictures he is at a show so he has lots of makeup, or colour enhanceing shapoos or dyes on! i use that champion tails black dye on his legs to make them shiney black! but they are definately black (shoe polish black as that is what i use to cover a scar on his back leg)

Last edited by a moderator:
sunshine, i dont think it matters what his father and mother were, unless distinguishing between dun and buckskin!
ive got a bay arab whos parents, grand parents and great grand parents were all grey!

wow! this is really amazing! I'll post a piccy of the horse i might be getting on here soon, because i'm not sure what colour he is. i think hes dark bay, but it changes depending on how much light there is. :D

Sunshine - your horse would not be classed as a Pintaloosa by the International Spotted Horse Registry Association. The ISHR does allow registration of horses born from either Pinto x Appy parents or from Pintaloosa stock that carry only one pattern, but your horse's sire (if that pic is accurate) is Overo and not Tobiano. A Pintaloosa is Appy x Tobiano. Tobiano and Overo are two distinct and separate coat patterns.

ponylover88 - Stan doesn't have a dorsal stripe. He may have a thing called countershading, which is similar to and sometimes confused with dorsal striping, but when you see the two side by side they are very different. A dorsal stripe is just that - it's a stripe so dark and clear it looks like it's been drawn on in marker pen. Countershading is very common on buckskins, and tends to be less clear, bleeding into the coat colour at either side. Countershading is characteristic of sooty markings.

Link to some good pictures of dorsal stripes here;

http://members.aol.com/battyatty/dunfoal.htm

Kanuma said:
sunshine, i dont think it matters what his father and mother were, unless distinguishing between dun and buckskin!
ive got a bay arab whos parents, grand parents and great grand parents were all grey!

LOL.. No I know it doesn't matter.. I was just correcting the girl who said my horse is appaloosa.. when he's really not.. although for all intents and purposes, he looks like an Appaloosa!

chev said:
Sunshine - your horse would not be classed as a Pintaloosa by the International Spotted Horse Registry Association. The ISHR does allow registration of horses born from either Pinto x Appy parents or from Pintaloosa stock that carry only one pattern, but your horse's sire (if that pic is accurate) is Overo and not Tobiano. A Pintaloosa is Appy x Tobiano. Tobiano and Overo are two distinct and separate coat patterns.

SO what would my horse be called?.. being half Pinto and half appy... He can't be called either...

On another note, I noticed today while bathing him that he is starting to change colour slightly.. I'm very excited by this... he is getting more white on his face and back!! He's still pretty young, so I can't wait to see what colour he'll be when he's all grown up!!!

chev said:
As far as I can tell he'd be an Overoloosa :) .

HAHHAHHAHAHA

Aww.. that's sad... Pintaloosa sounds so much better... I wish I could get away with just calling him an Appy.. I tried that for a while... but anyone who knows anything about colouring can tell he's not by his mane, tail, and hooves...

.... lol... my baby's a misfit... HAHHAH

rocketman - they're common in TBs and Welshies - think it was Arabmare on here had a Welsh colt that had them. It's very striking when it does occur. A friend used to have a Welshie with them but she's long dead now.

I have owned four horses that developed birdcatcher spots. It seems that these spots can come and go on a horse.

The first was a well bred chestnut quarter horse, which the quarter horse association "cropped out" of their registration books after his white spots appeared. I purchased him from his distraught breeder (his original name was One Year's Budget - the cost of the stud fee to produce him.) I named him Spotlight and sold him to a client, who counted his spots periodically and found that they were disappearing. Eventually, I suggested they change his name to Spotless.

I liked the color so much, I was amazed to find another one - again a chestnut quarter horse with much bigger polka dots. I named him Mardi Gras (looked like confetti had been thrown on him).

Then two of my warmbloods developed little white dots all over their bodies. One was a bay but the other was a grey. You could only see the spots when he was wet because all of his hair was white but the skin underneath was spotted.

Any idea what causes this? I know it's loss of pigment, but how come it comes and goes?

rocketman said:
Any idea what causes this? I know it's loss of pigment, but how come it comes and goes?

I would love to know as well...there is a bright bay QH gelding at our barn. He is 6 years old, and came here 1 1/2 years ago. At the end of August, he started developing small white spots on different parts of his body. There aren't that many, but they do look like the birdcatcher spots. Any ideas? Do birdcatcher spots just suddenly appear?

Could be vitiligo. It's most common in Arabs, especially greys, but can occur in any breed or colour. It causes areas of pigmented skin to become non-pigmented - but it can also get better, and the areas without pigment can produce melanin again, resulting in the pink skin becoming dark again. It's usually small spots of skin that are affected, although in some horses can be so extreme that what was a dark skinned horse eventually ends up mostly pink-skinned.

Birdcatcher spots are rarely present at birth and usually appear at some point later in life. They may be related to vitiligo in some way.

newrider.com