Coronavirus

I saw a program this morning and they said it is a postcode lottery. They announced that over the weekend they were going to start the over 70s this week, yet my mum got hers last week. But there are people over 80 who are still to receive there vaccinations.

I saw a program this morning and they said it is a postcode lottery. They announced that over the weekend they were going to start the over 70s this week, yet my mum got hers last week. But there are people over 80 who are still to receive there vaccinations.
Yet again this government couldn’t organise the proverbial piss up in a brewery.
In my town they started vaccinating, on Saturday, so well behind some other places, my Dad who’s 87 lives in a different county and neither he or any of his over 80 yr old friends have heard anything, they have one of the big vaccination centres in his city too! To say it’s like rubbing salt in a wound is an understatement when it’s all over the news that they are now starting to vaccinate those over 70 and CEV when there are still almost 50 percent of the over 80’s who haven’t been done.

Work felt busier today, lots of very elderly out, perhaps they have been vaccinated now? Doesn't stop me worrying though.
This scares me, they say that even if you’ve been vaccinated they dont know if you’ll still be able to spread it even though it should stop you from becoming seriously ill.

This scares me, they say that even if you’ve been vaccinated they dont know if you’ll still be able to spread it even though it should stop you from becoming seriously ill.

It's back to the I'm alright so sod everyone else attitude :( . I wonder if they've remembered that it takes a while for immunity to build, it's not a case of you have your jab and you're instantly safe. I do feel for you @Ale.

It is scary people may think they have instant immunity..
And worse yet if vaccinated people can still spread it.

Most people are gonna shed masks and distance faster than a NEW YORK SECOND..

I think in a couple days we will have a mandatory national mask mandate..

No Mickey mouse of state by state

Reactions: Huggy
I mean I know I'm highly unlikely to get seriously ill from it but I'm the last group to get vaccinated, so by then will everyone else be back to normal? Because if it doesn't stop you spreading it how will that work. I'm in no way saying I'm a greater priority, I'm not at all, I'm just wondering how it's all going to work if you still spread it when vaccinated?

I think transmission will reduce @Ale. If the vaccine reduces your chance of getting it then you don't pass on what you don't have (ok you can pass it on by touching something carrying the virus then touching something else that someone else then touches and then touches their face, but that's much less likely). If you do get it when vaccinated then it's likely to be much milder which means you'll be shedding less virus and so are less likely to pass it on since they've shown viral load is a big factor in whether someone develops it and how severely. Once enough people have been vaccinated these factors become significant in reducing transmission, but that's why mass vaccination is so important - me being vaccinated only protects me but, say, 90% of the population being vaccinated will hopefully have a significant impact on everyone.

I dont agree @Ale. There have been reports already of a few young healthy people who have got ill and died from it. Nobody can tell, we just dont know how bad its going to affect each individual person.

I think this is a message they really need to get out there if they want to encourage high uptake of the vaccine, so many people still believe it won't affect them badly because they're young and don't have underlying health problems and therefore there's no benefit to them in having the vaccine. Also that even if you don't die - and the majority don't - it's being seen that some people are left with long term problems. How many people affected like this isn't being released, if indeed it's known, and neither do we know how long they may be affected for. I don't think the government should scaremonger, but maybe these things do need pointing out.

Yep agree someone i know is having issues that are being labelled post covid. Dont think they were even tested for covid, but they reckon they had it last april.
Ive also read on the running forums of many runners are having major issues since having covid. Youd think good runners that run regularly, probably have good fitness and would be less likely to even get covid.

I dont agree @Ale. There have been reports already of a few young healthy people who have got ill and died from it. Nobody can tell, we just dont know how bad its going to affect each individual person.
There have, but far fewer people with no underlying health conditions my age have gotten seriously ill from it than older or vulnerable people. I haven't looked up the % admittedly, but that is more because I'm afraid to. I'm forced to go into a frankly non essential customer facing job day in day out. I do realise at the back of my mind I could die, but I do think there is less chance of this happening than other groups of people who should therefore be vaccinated first. I will accept the vaccine when it's offered.

My Mum (96 today) finally got her first jab after delay and cancellation - part of the problem was IT related, these community centres don't always have reliable internet connections for the necessary logging of data.

The problem with the over 80s is that they can't always make it to available slots - Mum was offered a 18.20 slot on a cold and wet day where she would have had to stand outside in the rain.

It makes sense to me for those slots to be made available to the over 70s rather than just waste them!

Because I have a DIL working as a sister in the hosp, I am getting my jab in a weeks time through their internal booking system designed to soak up these slots where it is too early in the day to expect the over 80s to attend but there are nurses and vaccine available.

That would be a fairly tame rave, I hope they didn't send the riot squad in!

Around here there's a network of people prepared to give lifts to people who can't get to vaccination centres. That said some people do seem to be being difficult about it - an elderly friend said she was talking to another friend her age who was saying it was totally unreasonable to ask her to get to a centre 12 miles away at her age and that it should be done at home. My friend's reply was before lockdown you had no trouble getting there twice a week to get your hair done!

• Wow
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
newrider.com