For All The 'Modern' Friesian Haters! (Pictures)

Jessica23

Sep 3, 2007
Gloucestershire
www.wildbriars.co.uk
Well, the modern/sports type friesian has had some rather unpleasant criticism on here, and as my Una definately has some modern lines in her i dont like to see them getting labelled as the poor quality friesians!! So i took some pictures of my beautiful girl today, so if you dont like her, GO AWAY :p

Lol!

She is a cross between the Sports type and the Classic type, so she should finish up as a well built mare, but with a little more refinement than some of the very heavy baroque friesians. For me, that is exactly what i want, a decent weight carrier that isn't too heavy :) I think she is perfect!

Anyway, isn't she looking gorgeous?!

33vyzw4.jpg

rwjwg3.jpg

de5hfd.jpg

2znmuj8.jpg

244ts0y.jpg

More to come...

I just love love love her!

i'm a fan of these lovely horses but not heard about this so found it quite interesting... thanks for posting your gorgeous pictures she's a stunner.

She's looking brill Jess definately a stunner - she is built in a very similar way to Dandea my 'modern' mare and I defy anyone to tell me that she is too narrow or a waif:p

Thanks guys!!

I think people have the misconception that MODERN or SPORTS friesians means weak backs, narrow and poorly put together... Thats neither baroque or modern - thats just a poor quality friesian!! But a recent thread had me rather irritated as people were saying that horses described as above were the Sports type! Nonsense! When Una is finished and filled out i expect her to be a very substantial horse, just not as heavy as the baroque. I dont think its a bad thing for what i want :)

But whatever she is I adore her, she's perfect! Even if other people do think she is awful lol

i cant see them cos im at work & it blocks most sites :rolleyes:.

but as usual i like to add my 2p worth.

i dont think modern friesians have a bad rep as such, & i know there are horrible baroque & classic friesians out there. however, *most* of the friesians that people dont like *tend* to be of the modern variety. i think this is because they have suddenly become so popular, that a lot of them are being bred simply because of their lightness, with no thought as to the rest of their attributes, just to please the judges, & meet the new criteria. i think modern friesians can, & are, just are gorgeous in their own way. a lot can be waif-like & swan necked to the extreme though. the proper modern type shouldnt be as long backed, long legged & swanned as some are.

take Madladys Dandea for example. she is classed as a modern mare, but in no way is she a lightweight! she's long legged, & no where nr as chunky as her (and Xanders) mom. she is one heck of a lot of horse! looks nothing like some of the thin spindly things that you can see. i think THAT is what modern should look like, not like it would break when someone more than 5 stone sits on it.

Taz - I agree with you completely. A modern friesian should still be a substantial horse. And you are probably right that due to them becoming more popular as "sports" horses there are more people churning them out with no regard for the quality of the horses they're producing. But for every poor quality modern friesian you find, i can bet you will find the same amount of poor quality baroque friesians!

I think the long legged comment is interesting, and i noticed that in the other thread. I havent actually noticed too many that are overly long in the leg, i think its the fact that they tend to be less heavy in body and rib, the legs then look longer than they would if they were on a baroque horse! Una certainly wouldnt be classed as particularly long in the leg, if anything i'd say she could do with a bit more length of leg, but that probably comes from the Classic lines in her.

But anyway, i do feel that the modern type horses are having a hard time at the moment, and i thought it would be nice to post pics (as always!!lol) and have some discussion to clear up some things i've noticed a lot on other threads recently :)

Lauraandharvey - She has some pretty impressive bucks going on there doesnt she??lol She is an angel with someone on her back though, not a single buck, rear or any kind of objection :D

I've not ridden her for a while actually, the last person to ride her was Kc!! I've just been made redundant so have been just stressing the last few weeks with that so have not really been in the mood for Una training lol

I've not been on here for a while so not seen pics of Una. Wow she has really filled out! and looking good. Just for the record i love all types of friesians, big, small, long, short, narrow, wide. Love is in the eye of the beholder! :rolleyes: My Vinnie so alot different, still short backed, widening out in the chest and only standing at 15.2ish. He is gonna be more traditional and stocky i think. x

They're beautiful no matter what shape and size they are :D

Una is around 16hands-ish at the moment. Im guessing she might make 16.1, possibly 16.2, but i like her just fine the height she is at the moment :D

And i think the fact that she is rather overweight is helping her look "filled out" lol! Bless her!

I must have missed the thread.

I'm not disputing that your girl isn't lovely Jessica23 but if you present her as a good example of the 'new sporthorse type fresian' then I'm afraid I would have to agree with whoever suggested that in the thread.

Conformationally, she has a very straight shoulder and overly straight legs. And she is weak in the loin. You didn't ask for critique so I won't continue...but just for dicussion's sake.. do you think she would add positive traits to the fresian breed if for example she was bred?

Do overly straight legs and a weak loin create the much loved dressage potential desired in so many fresians?

In my personal opinion, she has some comformational points that I would not like to see continued in the fresian breed and don't think thy are a positive attribute to any breed or any discipline... there are however examples of far worse in the 'poorly bred fresians' flooding the market.

Its really not about, how 'stocky' they are.

Thank you for your opinion Rips. You are most welcome to it, i agree with u completely about her weak backend - i have mentioned it many times myself :) given that she is not yet 4 and not being ridden, it is something that should improve as she matures as muscles up.

I have to say i disagree with the rest. Una has a very good shoulder, her angulation is pretty close to perfect. Her front legs are also very good, apart from toeing out on one foot (being sorted with careful trimming), i dont know how legs can be 'too' straight lol. They are supposed to be straight!! Una's front is very nice and what the friesian standard asks for. And im not just saying that as her owner, that was the feedback from the fps judges at the keuring, and several well respected friesian breeders who've seen her.

Una carries some very valuable bloodlines, so the faults she has would not stop her being a very nice broodmare. You cant really tell what a friesian will finish up like til they're about 6 as they take a couple more years to finish filling out and muscling up :) Una should end up a very nice example of the breed - not perfect, but what horse is?? She is certainly of good enough quality to breed on from :D

I cant see the pic, sorry! Im on my phone lol. I did kinda get that Rips doesnt want to go out and buy an Una lol. Thats fine. But this thread was just to clear up that not ALL the poor quality friesians are automatically sports type, and to share some pics of my mare, who has sports lines on one side :) i thought i made it quite clear what people could do if they didnt like her ;)

TBH although shes very pretty she just doesn't look like a friesian - she just looks like a black cobXTB

I like traditional friesians - anythings crossed is simply that - a cross and not a friesian (you don't hear of people calling their TBx a TB still - they will always be a TBx)

Una reminds me of Nikita, shes just turned four and got lots of filling out to do, although dont think she'll ever get to the size the others are!!
Mortisha is our typical Friesian, she's like a brick sh1111tt house!!

Nikita
123084.jpg

Mortisha & Selina
random023.jpg

Selina is more sports than the others, but she's still got "plenty". I must admit i perfer the heavy set, baroque/classic, but i love all ours individually!!

newrider.com