I measured Lantern today... ft - hh again lol.

Boomer was allegedly 16.2 in his passport-last time I measured him , he was 17'2!! Got the OH to make a block that fit his stirrup so I could step on-he would let me get on any old how, but I would have needed a very large fence out hacking! Shame you're not nearer-you could pick it up-I hardly need it with Beau being 14'3!!:D

Surely, it would be easier to simply learn that there are 4 inches in a hand, 3 hands to a foot, than to constantly have to ask other people to do the conversion for you ?

I mean, really, it's not rocket science. You're old enough to operate a computer, with internet access.... I'm sure you are old enough to do 'times by three'.

Or is multiplication not til A level these days ?

For example, 5 foot 10.
Ok, there are 3 hands in every foot, so in the 5 feet, you've got 5 * 3 = 15 hands.

Then you have another 10 inches. That's another 2 hands (4 inches to a hand) and 2 inches left over.

Altogether then... 15 hands + 2 hands + 2 inches. 17 hands 2 inches.

WHat is it about hands and inches and feet that you're not getting here ?

well it confuses the hell out of me... so I must be thick :rolleyes: hands/inches/feet/cm/metres... feck, why don't we have one set of measurements cos your explanation just makes me go cold :rolleyes:

Well fair enough, it's not all that easy to explain without a drawing, but good grief, it's only the 4 times table at worst ! And you'all have been at school doing basic math, since the age of 7 if not earlier ... I'm just not getting why it's so complicated, or maybe why UK math education is failing so badly.

How many inches in a foot ? Know ? Well, go look it up ! You've got the internet, and to be fair Ptaty, you're probably old enough to know there are 12 inches in a foot.

So 5 ft 10 is ( 5 x 12 ) + 10 = 60 + 10 = 70 inches.

Ok, now there are 4 inches in a hand (do they not tell you that at riding schools ? )... so how many sets of 4 inches are there in 70 inches?

You could, if you were real smart ( say - aged 7 ), do your 4 times table ... or ok, if you never learnt it just use your fingers and count off groups of four.

Seriously, try it. Draw a picture, write a spreadsheet, form a self-help group or whatever you need to do to be able to picture it, but good grief, it is NOT THAT DIFFICULT and if you're really struggling, put some effort into learning basic math (or borrow some fingers - I'm sure you can cobble together 7 friends whose fingers you could use to help with the counting). :p

I am guessing that as this has now turned into a debate about the 4 times table, we should really ask did the person who asked the original question ask it because they really didn't know how to measure a horse or were they as I suspect, just showing off about the height of their horse! :D

I'd be worried about a giant horse, they often have alot of problems, heart, lungs, legs etc... and you have a nightmare trying to get transport, stable and tack and rugs to fit!

I am guessing that as this has now turned into a debate about the 4 times table, we should really ask did the person who asked the original question ask it because they really didn't know how to measure a horse or were they as I suspect, just showing off about the height of their horse! :D

I'd be worried about a giant horse, they often have alot of problems, heart, lungs, legs etc... and you have a nightmare trying to get transport, stable and tack and rugs to fit!

exactly! my old horse was 18hh and couldnt go anywhere with him, double price tack etc etc. more hassle than good if you ask me. im happy with my regular sized horse now! x

hehe Kc my guess was pretty good then. How ever tall he is he's lovely!

Kate I think we need to take a chill pill, it was a perfectly innocent question, there is no need to have a pop at anyones intelligence or the state of UK schooling and I'm pretty sure the OP could work it out had she wanted too, but I think she wanted to share with us and continue on from her first thread on the subject!

hehe Kc my guess was pretty good then. How ever tall he is he's lovely!

Kate I think we need to take a chill pill, it was a perfectly innocent question, there is no need to have a pop at anyones intelligence or the state of UK schooling and I'm pretty sure the OP could work it out had she wanted too, but I think she wanted to share with us and continue on from her first thread on the subject!

here here!!! :)

newrider.com