I measured Lantern today... ft - hh again lol.

Ive been riding since i was 5 ................... and now im a mother of two and with my husband for 13 years, (a long time riding lol :D ) and i have to put my hands up and say......yes im a thicko as i didnt know there were 4 inches to a hand either :confused: Pls give dont give people a hard time as it makes it less enjoyable to come on here. Thanks,

Speedy x

Well said! :cool:

Not unless she's prone to afternoon naps ;)

Or out ;)

The whole point of this board is to be able to ask questions without being made to feel stupid. I am shocked at some of the replies Kc has got here. If you can't be nice, don't post. As for worrying about server space.... :rolleyes: One thread (or even two, if you want to count the first one too) about measuring horses is hardly going to crash the server.

You could refer most questions asked here to Google. That's not the point of the board.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while actually- do the mods have certain people they are "in charge of" and they police them constantly? :confused:

The whole point of this board is to be able to ask questions without being made to feel stupid. I am shocked at some of the replies Kc has got here. If you can't be nice, don't post. As for worrying about server space.... :rolleyes: One thread (or even two, if you want to count the first one too) about measuring horses is hardly going to crash the server.

You could refer most questions asked here to Google. That's not the point of the board.

I agree. This is the third thread ive read tonight where the OP is being popped at for just asking a question or having a little rant about nothing major.

I feel sorry for the members on here that don't have thick skin :rolleyes:

I had a discussion once with a woman who runs a hacking centre who has had at least 60 horses over the last 20 years
She thought there were 3" to a hand rather than 4".Tbh it didn't really matter to her she good give a good estimate of height of any horse just by looking at it.

wow, he's a big lad! He's lovely though, the big ones tend to be more docile than the little nippy ponies sometimes! I don't see why the OP had to be jumped on for asking a question, how are people supposed to learn without asking things, we aren't born magically knowing everything. I know how to measure a horse but I failed proper maths a few times at school so what does that say lol. (too much time reading horsey books or maybe no need/interest in square roots in the real world :p)

I've been meaning to ask this for a while actually- do the mods have certain people they are "in charge of" and they police them constantly? :confused:

Am also :confused:

Not sure what you mean?

I read this thread because it seemed to be getting an awful lot of replies for a straightforward question (always a warning sign... :rolleyes: ) Had nothing to do with policing anyone.

Eep! He is huge! Where is Worcestershire, can I come see him (I love big horses but scared to ride them!!!)

I have to say I am really pleased you asked this question as the majority of my mates are non-horsey, and when I say a horse is X hands they go 'eh? whats that in people size?' and I usually have to stand up and say 'well her withers come up to here' and poke at my head/shoulder/chest. Now I can explain in a less odd-looking-when-doing-it-in-a-restuarant way! Hehehe!

No, I was at a lesson, and then had some trees to cut down. Sorry about that, I'll endeavour to log on 24/7 in future.

Kc from what I read is far from a novice rider. In all the time she's been around horses, she's never thought to ask how many inches there are in a hand. Fair enough. It's not a crime. She gives us various different heights in ft and inches, and people just giver her the equivalent in hands ... without telling her how to do it ! That, to my mind, is mean ! Keeping someone from knowing the information they need and would find useful - not explaining it to them ? If we'd all just done the conversions for her, like everyone was doing, she'd still be none the wiser, would she ? Now she knows. 4 inches in a hand, 3 hands in a foot.

Good.

Give a man a fish, and all that.

That, to my mind, is mean ! Keeping someone from knowing the information they need and would find useful - not explaining it to them ?

Fair enough, explain it.

But there are some who would feel that the level of sarcasm used in that explanation is just as, if not more, mean.

Me, for one.

Fair enough. I'm sure I am the only person who's tried to explain feet, inches and hands in a snarky manner. There's several people on this thread who now know how many inches in a hand ... which is information that is incredibly easily available, and yet with all the nicey-niceyness, they've never learnt it. A little bit of snottyness, and now they know.

I still find it incredible that people can realise that they don't know how to work something out, and yet have no incentive to find out how to do it themselves. I don't think that's particularly having a go at anyone, to state thet I find that incredible.

I still find it incredible that people can realise that they don't know how to work something out, and yet have no incentive to find out how to do it themselves. I don't think that's particularly having a go at anyone, to state thet I find that incredible.

I can understand this, because I like to learn how to do things for myself, but come on... it's clear she is a proud mummy to her big boy and wants as many people to know as possible - there's nothing wrong with that, we all do it because we love our horses and want other people to as well!

sounds like you definatly got a handful there, but its not all bad, he will be able to step over all the fences.

i didnt know how many inches, centimetres, etc were in a hand let alone where to measure a horse from so i would have asked also, just to make sure i was on the right track.

this was a light hearted thread, as the title is i measured lantern today ... ft - hh again lol.

chill out everyone

:)

Am also :confused:

Not sure what you mean?

I read this thread because it seemed to be getting an awful lot of replies for a straightforward question (always a warning sign... :rolleyes: ) Had nothing to do with policing anyone.

I only mean that I seem to come across you rather often Chev...I wondered if perhaps you were "assigned" to me, particularly? Especially as your post was rather solely aimed at me....just a ponderation...

Last edited:
By my highly accurate, mathmatical skills i measure him at 15'2hh. That is correct, so don't question my intelligence please! I am a genius! ;) :D

Glad you've finally got a height for him now... albeit in a rather roundabout fashion with some cranky answers! :rolleyes: :eek:

I put him at around 15.3 - 16hh :confused:

My logic being a hand is 4.5".. 5'11 is 71".

16 x 4.5 = 72

So at 71" he would be 15.3hh?

Not 17hh odd :confused:

*should have paid more attention at school*

Kc......is there no chance of you being able to access a measuring stick? May be slightly easier and give a slightly more accurate result than trying to convert figures, as everyone is coming up with different answers! :)

I put him at around 15.3 - 16hh :confused:

My logic being a hand is 4.5".. 5'11 is 71".

16 x 4.5 = 72

So at 71" he would be 15.3hh?

Not 17hh odd :confused:

*should have paid more attention at school*

I'm pretty sure there are 4 inches to a hand? That's why it goes 15, 15.1, 15.2, 15.3 and then 16hh - there are 4 inches between each increment in whole number size.

newrider.com