Is there such a thing as a Norwegian Fjord cross?

Bay Mare

www.maggieslaw.co.uk
Jun 21, 2004
In my jods!
www.geocities.com
I was told recently that the Fjord society frown on cross breeding Fjords (I think that 'frown' is putting it nicely :) ) but does anyone know of any out there and what they were put to and look like?

Not for any particular reason, it's just a cross that I've never come across :)

Ta x

Yes lots. A lot of the dodgy importers import them. Im told they look almost the same, but temerment can be very different. I think I might have seen two now! I also know of a Warm Blood X fjord that is vry nice, just different. Colouring not so great.

Go for a pure bred. the are just fab.

Libbyo :)

We have a couple of what look like fjord crosses at the RS. They are both small blocky ponies with standy-up manes. But both aren't quite so tall, nor so wide as a true fjord.

One is dun, the other is black. Both are opinionated ;)

When I saw my first true fjord a couple of years ago, I was surprised at how wiiiiiiide they are!

Yes, Danish friend of mine crossed her Fjord mare twice. First one was to an Arab, second to a Danish WB. Both had the coat colour and bushy mane but much more refined. Both quite placid natured but could be fairly stubborn when they wanted. The Arab x was about 15hh, the WB x about 16hh. She did dressage with both of them and did fairly well. She still has the Arab cross - he's 27yo this year and now just a field ornament. She lost the other one to a field accident in his early teens but was competing at their equivalent of Advanced Medium at the time.

Ive got a picture of the WB/Fjord, but as hes not mine I wont post it. If you want to see him, out of interest, PM me with your email, and Ill email it to you.

Libbyo :)

Funny enough I saw an icelandic/fjord cross for sale last night. Just tried to find it again to post a link, but could'nt(went from link to link last night so god knows where it was:confused: )

The Scottish Fjord horse Registry frown on crossing the Fjord with anything. The Fjord leaves a very strong stamp on anything you cross it with and some unscrupulous folk try to pass them off as pure.

We have a Cross Fjord Icelandic, the Icelandic horse society also get very "dog in the manger" about crossing Icelandics with anything......so that's me drummed out of the brownies then ;) ;)

Winnies-first-ride-2.jpg

Here's a Fjord Icelandic cross......and very nice she is too!

Awwwww I'm loving Winnie but Esse is stunning too and very elegant looking (they all are but as I'm asking about Fjords I won't name them all :) ).

I like how you've got their manes longer, I think that they look much nicer with the funky two tone manes, very retro punk :)

Thank you x

my friend put her 15hh TBx showjumping mare to a fjord stallion. The result looks 100% like her dad and didly squat like her mum! if i didn't know her breeding, i'd have thought she was a pure bred fjord. temperament wise she's just like dad too. Her mum was a bit of a looney despite being a talented jumper. Baby is very calm and quiet and is well behaved enough for hubby to hack out quite safely!

Shadowlark, good memory. Just caught this thread.

Here are the cuties. They are Norwegian Fjord/Quarter Horse x. Their names are Cody and Custer.

sleighride7.jpg

sleighride5.jpg

yvonnedadbeforeride.jpg

I went to see a Fjord Lippi cross and she was lovely, but grey...
Fantastic temperament, weight carrier and with nice gaits and she was registered as a pb Lipizzaner.

I know a lovely Fjord x anglo arab
and yes to say that the fjord horse registry frowns on cross breds would be putting it lightly.

Freyja is lovely, about 15.2hh and red dun. She definitely doesn't look very Fjord
IMG_7645.jpg

Last edited:
newrider.com