Is there such a thing as a Norwegian Fjord cross?

I know a lovely Fjord x anglo arab
and yes to say that the fjord horse registry frowns on cross breds would be putting it lightly.

The Fjord Horse National Stud Book Association of Great Britain which is authorised to issue passports run 3 registers; Register 1 for Pure Breds with proven lineage, DNA, microchipped Register 2 True to Type and Register 3 Part Breds. The top stallions are often only available to Register 1 mares http://www.fjord-horse.co.uk/index.htm
The strict rules for Register 1 is very important as the gene of the fjord is so pure it is dominant (as in previous posts) and crosses often appear fjord but the nature may not be!

I would add I have found ours extremely quick to learn :)

The scottish Fjord Horse register will not have anything to do with part breds and has a hissy fit at the very idea! :eek:

Same with the US Fjord Registry and the Icelandic horse congress for that matter. Big No No about crossing at all.

Though there are tons of crosses of both in this country.

Boy I would love and I mean love, a Gaited Fjord mule!!!:D

I know a lovely Fjord x anglo arab
and yes to say that the fjord horse registry frowns on cross breds would be putting it lightly.

Freyja is lovely, about 15.2hh and red dun. She definitely doesn't look very Fjord
IMG_7645.jpg

OMG:eek::eek: thats the horse i ride when we go up north every year and i was so upset when i got tin tin to ride (although he was great fun too;))

...as the gene of the fjord is so pure it is dominant ...

What on EARTH is that meant to mean? WHICH gene? How can a gene be "pure"? How does purity = dominance in genetics?

Over what recessive gene or genes is this unique "Fjord" gene dominant?

All horses have a great many genes ... if that is meant to indicate that the Fjord has some special ones which don't exist in other breeds of horses it would make the Fjord a different species - which it isn't!

Sorry, but that is the sort of bastardised scientific statement that gives science (and especially genetics!) a bad name.

Old woman, I have run up against several breed societies who have amazing rules for entry into their stud books and breed standards. Mostly based on dreadfully flawed and bogus genetic scientific statements! :D :D

ie in the old days (they only changed their website this year when I started making noises ;) ) the Pony stud book society said that the Shetland pony MUST have a dark eye, and then in the very next line it said that ANY colour found in horses was registerable, except spotted. So what about the blue eyes in cremello and the odd blue eye in piebalds and skewbalds and Palominos which can be perfectly well registered. Rules pointing in all directions.

It's really no surprise that leisure riders of all types, and breeders of horses other than TB's, struggle to be taken seriously in this country when this sort of utter clap-trap is being promoted through cyberspace ...

I honestly despair at times. You'd think that there could be a bit of scientific honesty in breed societies nowadays. I suspect many of them are still writing their stud-book entries with a goosefeather quill - they haven't even reached the biro era, never mind the computer age!

Good for you for making noises!

Maybe the structure of the sentance was not scientifically correct, but for the purpose of the forum I think most people understood the point. Was such as aggressive response necessary? I was not looking to re-write the breed standards! If such political correctness is required everyone may think twice before making any replies :rolleyes:

At the yard I've just moved from there wa a 'Fjprd' her passport was in dutch adn no one could read it, but personall I suspect she was a X breed, something just wasn;t right. It could just be that the two I've ridden before happened to be simialr but she just seemed to horse like and long in the back, but then she was very overweight on rrival too.

We have a fjord mule! His name is Sven. He's just turning 5 this month and is a great animal. He was started at 2 because he was always wanting to learn. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body. It's taken him the last 3 years to really get used to himself. He's getting to be a smooth ride.

I have only ridden him western. I showed him at the Western Idaho Fair and he got a 3rd in halter. He really looks just like a fjord horse, but with large ears and a a bigger head.

This next year, we will be working on getting him to drive and pack.

Here's a picture of us and my daughter on her mule at the Snake River.

Attachments

• svenphoenix.jpg
    svenphoenix.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 141
newrider.com