Whats your Fear ?

colettybetty

Oct 5, 2003
Visit site
I'm so mad with myself, I have an irrational fear of riding down steep inclines. Went on brilliant whizzy hack today with a friend (who's personal fear is of hacking in traffic ) and explored some great places and rough ground and obstacles etc. We came to a very steep (wet) grassy hill and I had to get off and lead while my friend rode my other horse down as casually as if she were tootling round the paddock. I hate heights and when I look down I just think Noooooo !
What's your fear ? and any tips for riding down banks and hills whilst keeping your eyes open ?

My fear is a spook at high speed. I fell off at very fast canter on the first day I had Joy on loan because she spooked when a bird flew out of the hedge in front of us. I know I'd come off if the same thing happened again cause that wasn't sittable to :(

My fear is generally having such a bad fall that I do some real damage to myself and my horse and at best don't ride again or at worst I never wa;lk again or die!! I know that is very dramatic but I know how easy it is to damage to yourself a family member was paralysed from the neck down after a fall on some rocks when fishing.

So it's that thought fills me with dread rather than any particular type of incident. However, it doesn't stop me doing anything either.

My biggest fear is falling whilst hacking and either getting hurt or my share horse getting hurt or loose and having to explain to the owners that their horse was injured

Bolting mainly

(specifically on skinnier horses like tb's, a cob I trust can bolt and I'll probably be okay but ones I don't trust scare the life out of me)

but I've never experienced a rear so that's probably pretty scary too!

I'm so mad with myself, I have an irrational fear of riding down steep inclines.

Got the same fear. See mine was so so then got worse. As my luck seems to go, *sigh* I went down a slight slope that ended in a sharper sixfoot up, through two inch water. I was like, Ok, I can do that. My mare, for the first time, sprang over the water. At the top the other riders scattered, and I galloped into a tree. I, Thankfully, don't really care what other western riders think. I ride with a helmet. I ran head on into the branch. It was my third fall, and i landed, (my luck again,) on a fallen tree. The scarest part was watching, unable to breath as my mare sidestepped nearer and near to the edge of the drop.She didn't fall, thank goodness.

Now I merely wave on my cousin and watch him race our Arab up the strait slope. I think it's nuts, seeing that more then once I have see the Arab's knees start to buckle. Nothing has happened yet though.
Sorry, long

Bucking, and big strong cobs:eek: I'm a bit nervous hacking new horses but I haven't really done much hacking.

I don't like riding down steep inclines either. Just lean back and breaaath:D

im scared of horses bucking and rearing with me, its the thing i hate the most and if a horse shows the slightest sign that its going to do either, i get all tense which just makes it worse!
ultimately i think its because i dont want to fall off, im a worrier and if a horse misbehaves or something i get scared

I have only one fear whilst riding and that's being bolted with :eek::eek:
I'm not talking about my horse getting a bit too strong or too fast whilst cantering, I'm talking about a full-on out-of-control bolt - worst thing ever :eek:

I'm petrified at the moment of falling off and breaking something as I've got my driving test soon. No idea why I booked a jumping lesson for next week :rolleyes: Generally though I can't think of anything specific which makes me sound much braver than I am!

Becoming paralysed and coming off at speed when a horse bolts. Maybe its because i have never experienced a horse that has actually bolted with me so its fear of the unknown!

My fear is coming off on a hack (as my mare can be difficult outside) and then her getting loose and causing an accident.

Same.

I wasn't scared until I actually fell off on a hack and my horse was loose on the public byways. He galloped home without me. Luckily no accidents but it made me realise how easily these things can happen. I won't hack out alone now unless I know the horse well.

i'm not that bad with my nerves anymore (thank god!) i suppose my only fear is feeling like i've had a bad ride meaning that skittles was either taking the mick out of me or that i was too harsh or something i allways have this feeling that if i dont have a good ride or if i get stroppy with him in his stable he will hate me the next day, its stupid i know! :p

riding down steep banks:
we have to do it all the time at the yard it was a bit daunting at first but it becomes second nature :D
keep it slow and steady so the horse is leaa likely to trip, try and avoid the muddy bits if you can incase of more slippage hehe!! lean back and let the horse have his/her mouth, stay calm and just feel them moving underneath you, go with their every step and help them out as much as you can by not getting upset about it; it can be hard for them too

newrider.com