Whats your Fear ?

My main fears are (1st and 2nd are the main 2)

- Being a failure (i.e. looking like an idiot, poor relationship horse, nothing I do is ever good enough, etc)
- Being unbalanced (yes, a fear of being unbalanced! Mostly that's when I am jumping or riding at speed)
- Being bolted with (too many bad experiences).

x

Noone is fearless and every rider and human has their limits

My fear is getting on anything over 14.2hh!! how pathetic is that?
But after a lot of nasty falls as a novice on a four year old horse i just won't do it. Maybe i'd get on if it was a SAFE horse that i already had ridden lots. x

i have 2, both are quite stupid but i hate cantering in a school, i get all nervous and unbalanced but i am fine out on a hack! I think its because when i had my first ever canter in a school i lost my stirrup and fell off! and that was when i was 9!! Im also scared of jumping as i was jumping (only jumped a few times before) in a field and i jumped 3 times and fell off twice!! :eek: now im all nervous about that too!! Im a wimp really!!:D

spooking at high speeds. have been spooked with recently at a car that was coming like a bat out of hell towards us, silly pony spooked right into path of car, i was hanging off side with head about 1m away from the concrete, i sh*t myself.
other than that, going fast down steep inclines
and motorway bridges :D i'll quite happily poo my pants going over them, my OH likes to laugh at the faces i make :eek::p

I discovered today that im quite scared of riding in open spaces. I havent ridden in an open field in ages and today we had to warm up in the field outside the arena at college and a voice in my head was constantly saying 'omg! he's going to take off any second and buck you off!'

You just cant think about all the risks involved or you could just be scared of everything!

SL x

I am also not keen on riding down hills!

Went on a hack in North Wales a couple of years ago, moved the 17 2 horse I was riding oevr for someone to get gate but he moved a bit too far and we went up a steep hilly bank thing - though no problem, will turn him round and go back down. Well as soon as I turned and looked down hill was petrified! Ended up getting off, leading him down, and having to haul myself back up on the huge beast from the ground!! Seemed far preferable to walking down that hill!

Being galloped off with down hill, just the thought of it makes me feel sick.

I also can't ride anything bigger than 14.2hh :eek:

I am also not keen on riding down hills!

Went on a hack in North Wales a couple of years ago, moved the 17 2 horse I was riding oevr for someone to get gate but he moved a bit too far and we went up a steep hilly bank thing - though no problem, will turn him round and go back down. Well as soon as I turned and looked down hill was petrified! Ended up getting off, leading him down, and having to haul myself back up on the huge beast from the ground!! Seemed far preferable to walking down that hill!

LOL ! I was in Wales too, riding the Black mountains on my young mare who had never done mountains before. We had to ride down the mountain side on a narrow rocky path with an almost sheer drop at one side. Never been so frightened in all my life. Ride leader insisted I stay on my horse and led me down off his horse - said I'd never make it on foot.:eek:
We made it without problem, but since then, like you and Sotanimals, I hate steep banks.

Seems a lot of us have fears - question; do you avoid the situation or grit your teeth and ignore it ?

hhmmm Im not so sure about this one to be honest..... I like to think Im fearless but I think im scared of breaking my bones if i fall off as i may not be able to ride for yonks!...:eek::rolleyes:

My main fear is an uncontrollable bolt on a hack. I can cope with a wee bolt that I can ride out and then bring him back but a full on no brakes with no intention of stopping ever bolt I cannot cope with. :eek:

I must be the only one who loves cantering downhill!! :p
I'm not sure what it is that makes me nervous when jumping, I think it's feeling alot of pressure as I'll jump most things on my own or with my RI but I'm awful in front of people, especially my parents as they are very pressurising. I'm jumping 1.10m at home but I know when I take Gabe out for the first time 2ft6 will look massive! So I'm jumping in at the deep end - our first competition is a 3ft National Inter-Schools XC competition! :p

I have the downhill fear too. Especially when we're going towards home as Alfie is always that little bit keener.
It's horrible, tummy turns over.

Once I was riding downhill on a fairly steep grassy bank, on a loose rein, and Alfie put his head down to grab a handful of grass :rolleyes: I threw myself backwards but was too scared to get his head back up, and MUCH too scared to push him forwards with my legs. I was gabberling "no Alfie no, I don't like it" in a high pitched squeak, whilst he moved downhill happily grazing!! Was shaking like a leaf when he put his head back up, managed to turn him and got straight off..

Hills I can deal with, but steep banks, I just get off and lead :eek:

I have the downhill fear too. Especially when we're going towards home as Alfie is always that little bit keener.
It's horrible, tummy turns over.

Once I was riding downhill on a fairly steep grassy bank, on a loose rein, and Alfie put his head down to grab a handful of grass :rolleyes: I threw myself backwards but was too scared to get his head back up, and MUCH too scared to push him forwards with my legs. I was gabberling "no Alfie no, I don't like it" in a high pitched squeak, whilst he moved downhill happily grazing!! Was shaking like a leaf when he put his head back up, managed to turn him and got straight off..

Hills I can deal with, but steep banks, I just get off and lead :eek:

Now that made me laugh, Naughty Alfie !
Stormy J - you are crazy.:eek:

I'm not too keen on the idea of being bolted with either, but fortunately its never happened yet.

My main fear is quite a realistic one considering my clumsy cob - I'm afraid that he's going to have a really big stumble and go down on top of me!:eek:

Horse losing footing and falling down whilst I am on him/her and going fast.

I have gone over with horses several times from canter when they have slipped, and one of them hurt like hell and I ended up in hospital with a concussion and smashed face (though nothing broken). None of my other fallings off have hurt that much.

I can deal with everything else, I am afraid of horses rearing and going over, but it is nothing compared to the idea of them falling down when going fast..

I think it is, to some extent at least, holding me back in getting better at Polo too.. I am worried about doing the turns fast enough, even though I see people less skilled than me doing it just fine and the horses coping with it just fine. And it is not like it is doing something crazy, the turns in Polo are done pretty controlledly (is that a word?). It is all in my head.. :rolleyes:

Nina x

Falling off in the mud :eek:

Our field is really really muddy still :rolleyes:

oooo ive done that:D makes a soft but messy landing, and dont ever expect to get the mud out of your nails :rolleyes:
was galloping flat out, horse decided to go one way, i carried on thw way we were goings and SPLAT:p was amazing that all i got was a broken finger

my fear is riding down big steps or drops in x-country, i really hate going down. dont think it helps that my pony takes massive leaps off the top of them lol.
im also scared of riding along slippy roads with a horse with 4 shoes on incase they slip and don't stop!! xx
oh and ive had a pony slip and fal on me too my leg got stuck underneath it, luckily no damage was done but it's pretty scary! xx

newrider.com