2021 Hacking and Riding

Saturday we took the boys out, just did our usual 4 miler. Although we did veer off above the quarry, i had some lovely trots on Billy along the track followed by get to the open grassland and im ready mum lets go. So i had to say no when we started sideways dancing. Once he calmed and dropped his head, i did let him canter.

Yesterday we went out across the horse crossing. Met with intrepidation after Billys antics the other weekend on a ride we havent done in a while i wasnt sure it was sensible. But if i dont try it im loosing the opportunity of the beutiful hacking. Once you go over the horse crossing you are into long hack territory. You have to commit to big loops. There arent any shortcuts to get back home. Weather was perfect warm but not to hot or too cold, little breeze which kept the flys and horseflies away.
The worst bit of the hack was actually at the horse crossing. I stood back waiting for the lights to change. They changed but the timing on the crossing was so short we had not time to cross before lights went back to green.. Then we see a car towing a caravan and directly behind that a flippin artic. I put my hand up as im going over the crossing to ask them to wait. No the caravaner kept coming. So put my hand up again but no still coming. Lights were back on green so to him that meant go. Billy starts jumping sideways. Legs off the ground. All i could do was get hold of the reins and sit it out whilst trying to get him off the crossing onto the pavement and round the corner onto the bridleway. Cos the caravan kept going so did the artic. They saw him having a hissy but refused to stop. Then another artic came from the other direction so Billy was on complete meltdown. I got round the corner somehow without being unseated but i got the shakes bit time. My heart was in my mouth.
Further on is a big open crop field. Normally billy gets on his toes and tanks it. But when we got there the field had oats growing in it. The bridleway goes right across the middle of the field so you have to ride down the tractor tramlines. Well billy was an absolute angel. He made no attempt what so ever to even try trotting. Best crossing of that field ive ever had.
The whole ride was nearly 8 miles. Chunky hasnt ridden that hack for 2, possibly even 3 years. He seemed to enjoy it and kept having his sneaky trots to catch up, with me and Billy. He does have a short stride. He definately got tired from about mile 6. But he still had his ears up when we got home. So i think he was glad to go out and see his old sights. I did wonder if it would be too much as hes only been back being ridden for 11 weeks and the most weve done is 4 miles. Although we did do a long hack a month ago and he was definitely tired then and his ears were down then at the end. But the majority of that was boring road work. He seemed happy yesterday and was a star all the way.

Chunkys little rider opted to go bareback, and actually did really well. She doesnt seemed bothered going bareback. It was her choice to go bareback. Although she did say at the end if she was doing that ride again she would use a saddle. For chunky though he was probably better off not having the saddle weight on his back for such a long ride. His saddle is far heavier than even Billys.
At one point she asked to trot so i said ok and Billy was going really well, no pulling so i was really relaxed and just kept him going. We must have gone a good 400 metres. Then i herd a few little noises behind from his rider, as chunky was doing his best to keep up, but the poor rider was struggling with the balance and maintaining the rhythm. I laughed and said well you wanted to trot. Can we walk now please.
Fair play to chunky as well. Theres a big track thats probably half a mile long. Its up a big hil. I was having to hold Billy back on the canter, the grounds not the best, few places i went back to trot. Well in the past chunky has struggled to keep up going up it and had to walk. Yesterday he was pretty much behind us all the way, at canter.

I so miss riding him. Think he is feeling his age so cant be bothered with silly shenanigans, but it just makes for him being all the more amazing.

Saturday we took the boys out, just did our usual 4 miler. Although we did veer off above the quarry, i had some lovely trots on Billy along the track followed by get to the open grassland and im ready mum lets go. So i had to say no when we started sideways dancing. Once he calmed and dropped his head, i did let him canter.

Yesterday we went out across the horse crossing. Met with intrepidation after Billys antics the other weekend on a ride we havent done in a while i wasnt sure it was sensible. But if i dont try it im loosing the opportunity of the beutiful hacking. Once you go over the horse crossing you are into long hack territory. You have to commit to big loops. There arent any shortcuts to get back home. Weather was perfect warm but not to hot or too cold, little breeze which kept the flys and horseflies away.
The worst bit of the hack was actually at the horse crossing. I stood back waiting for the lights to change. They changed but the timing on the crossing was so short we had not time to cross before lights went back to green.. Then we see a car towing a caravan and directly behind that a flippin artic. I put my hand up as im going over the crossing to ask them to wait. No the caravaner kept coming. So put my hand up again but no still coming. Lights were back on green so to him that meant go. Billy starts jumping sideways. Legs off the ground. All i could do was get hold of the reins and sit it out whilst trying to get him off the crossing onto the pavement and round the corner onto the bridleway. Cos the caravan kept going so did the artic. They saw him having a hissy but refused to stop. Then another artic came from the other direction so Billy was on complete meltdown. I got round the corner somehow without being unseated but i got the shakes bit time. My heart was in my mouth.
Further on is a big open crop field. Normally billy gets on his toes and tanks it. But when we got there the field had oats growing in it. The bridleway goes right across the middle of the field so you have to ride down the tractor tramlines. Well billy was an absolute angel. He made no attempt what so ever to even try trotting. Best crossing of that field ive ever had.
The whole ride was nearly 8 miles. Chunky hasnt ridden that hack for 2, possibly even 3 years. He seemed to enjoy it and kept having his sneaky trots to catch up, with me and Billy. He does have a short stride. He definately got tired from about mile 6. But he still had his ears up when we got home. So i think he was glad to go out and see his old sights. I did wonder if it would be too much as hes only been back being ridden for 11 weeks and the most weve done is 4 miles. Although we did do a long hack a month ago and he was definitely tired then and his ears were down then at the end. But the majority of that was boring road work. He seemed happy yesterday and was a star all the way.

Chunkys little rider opted to go bareback, and actually did really well. She doesnt seemed bothered going bareback. It was her choice to go bareback. Although she did say at the end if she was doing that ride again she would use a saddle. For chunky though he was probably better off not having the saddle weight on his back for such a long ride. His saddle is far heavier than even Billys.
At one point she asked to trot so i said ok and Billy was going really well, no pulling so i was really relaxed and just kept him going. We must have gone a good 400 metres. Then i herd a few little noises behind from his rider, as chunky was doing his best to keep up, but the poor rider was struggling with the balance and maintaining the rhythm. I laughed and said well you wanted to trot. Can we walk now please.
Fair play to chunky as well. Theres a big track thats probably half a mile long. Its up a big hil. I was having to hold Billy back on the canter, the grounds not the best, few places i went back to trot. Well in the past chunky has struggled to keep up going up it and had to walk. Yesterday he was pretty much behind us all the way, at canter.

I so miss riding him. Think he is feeling his age so cant be bothered with silly shenanigans, but it just makes for him being all the more amazing.
The incident with the camper van and artics sounds terrifying - well done for getting through it! Stupid flipping driver.

Reactions: Trewsers
Glad you made it thru the camper and artic artic incident ok.

Do you have laws there about riders on the road???
We do here not that many drivers actually know about it..
I actually think they are old but they are still on the books..
If you come upon a rider you have to give way to the horse... if the animal is upset you have to stop wait and let the animal
Pass you.
I don't know the exact wording.
But having a law or knowing it the people you came upon were COMPLETELY INSENSITIVE MORONS.
I'm sure they could see Billy was upset unless they had their head up their A....

Im glad I rode yesterday more storms heavy rain and another flood watch.
Its like we have been transported to a rain forest.
I'm just glad my footing is staying good.

We are drowning here but omg the west coast has such bad drought and the horrible wild fires have started again.

Its very bad out there.

• Wow
Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Took Billy out for a short hack this evening. Go through the bridle gate into the small field and see a tent tucked by a tree. Two seconds later Billy sees it as it started moving. He couldnt take it and spun round. No way i was getting him past it. So i had to go back through the gate and find another route to ride. Honestly though who puts up tent up in a field that is literally a ft from a public footpath. When theres a whole field to put up a tent in.
Screw loose if you ask me.

Went out this morning - still grey, but very warm. Hogan was in a funny mood - he doesn't spook much, but he was very looky-loo today. Glaring into the trees, and at the dog walkers - not like him at all. Can't really fault him, he didn't do anything really. Chatted to a lady walking her dog, and mentioned his mood, and she said her dog was funny too - she thought it was the atmosphere today - very still, quiet and oppressive. Once she said it, I absolutely agreed - it was "heavy" today, and even the birds were quiet. Still enjoyed it, and we at least had no incidents - bonus!

Took Billy out for a short hack this evening. Go through the bridle gate into the small field and see a tent tucked by a tree. Two seconds later Billy sees it as it started moving. He couldnt take it and spun round. No way i was getting him past it. So i had to go back through the gate and find another route to ride. Honestly though who puts up tent up in a field that is literally a ft from a public footpath. When theres a whole field to put up a tent in.
Screw loose if you ask me.
The same people that sit RIGHT NEXT TO YOU on a deserted beach!

The same people that sit RIGHT NEXT TO YOU on a deserted beach!
I think I would. Put it by the path and at the edge. I dont know what kids doing D of E are taught to do. But not trespass or tread down the centre of a field, I guess.

Tolstoy got furious if he saw his workers take the work horses off the margin of a field. To avoid compacting any land used for growing crops.

I think I would. Put it by the path and at the edge. I dont know what kids doing D of E are taught to do. But not trespass or tread down the centre of a field, I guess.
As far as camping is concerned, I did it once with the guides - hated it with a passion and never done it again.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
My Friday trip this week was to the Wyre Forrest with my new young hacking buddy. We has a nice time but the flies were awful!

On Saturday Harvey and I had an XC clinic. It was supposed to be up to 80cm, but the other 2 people weren't really up to that so we jumped a bit lower. It mostly went well apart from when I asked Harvey to canter into the water and he did a smart left turn leaving me in a fairly precarious position (see below!!)

Sunday was a lazy day. We had a new groom who I have ridden with before at SJ clinics so we borrowed the yard veteran for a short hack.

so - no show jumping pics this week :)

warm up - Harvey loves his job!
P7108300-X2.jpg

P7108306-X2.jpg

Holding on very tight! (I did manage to stay on - just!)
P7108499-X2.jpg

P7108539-X2.jpg

P7108543-X2.jpg

All a bit too exciting for Harvey
P7108554-X2.jpg

P7108654-X2.jpg

Hacking
11 miles
3 hours 30

Schooling 1 hour

Totals
Schooling
12 hours 45

Hacking
248 miles
73 hours 45

My Friday trip this week was to the Wyre Forrest with my new young hacking buddy. We has a nice time but the flies were awful!

On Saturday Harvey and I had an XC clinic. It was supposed to be up to 80cm, but the other 2 people weren't really up to that so we jumped a bit lower. It mostly went well apart from when I asked Harvey to canter into the water and he did a smart left turn leaving me in a fairly precarious position (see below!!)

Sunday was a lazy day. We had a new groom who I have ridden with before at SJ clinics so we borrowed the yard veteran for a short hack.

so - no show jumping pics this week :)

warm up - Harvey loves his job!
P7108300-X2.jpg

P7108306-X2.jpg

Holding on very tight! (I did manage to stay on - just!)
P7108499-X2.jpg

P7108539-X2.jpg

P7108543-X2.jpg

All a bit too exciting for Harvey
P7108554-X2.jpg

P7108654-X2.jpg

Hacking
11 miles
3 hours 30

Schooling 1 hour

Totals
Schooling
12 hours 45

Hacking
248 miles
73 hours 45
Oh you look well in control - lol (you were just testing your seat and ability weren't you!!!). Well done anyway, you still made it look easy!

The pea soup fog lifted but its very sticky and humid.
The sky is still threatening we are supposed to get storms.

I just played in his paddock then let him go out the roped off area outside his back gate.
He can go back in when he wants.
20210714_135509.jpg20210714_135518(0).jpg20210714_135336.jpg20210714_140406.jpg
20210714_135414.jpg20210714_135508.jpg20210714_135509(0).jpg

Wa may actually start to get some sun tomorrow but it will be in the 90,s f for a couple days ugh.

I really want fall.

The pea soup fog lifted but its very sticky and humid.
The sky is still threatening we are supposed to get storms.

I just played in his paddock then let him go out the roped off area outside his back gate.
He can go back in when he wants.
View attachment 107535View attachment 107536View attachment 107537View attachment 107538
View attachment 107532View attachment 107533View attachment 107534

Wa may actually start to get some sun tomorrow but it will be in the 90,s f for a couple days ugh.

I really want fall.
He's going nuts round there! Go Sonny!

• Love
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
newrider.com